What this league needs to be successfull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What this league needs to be successfull

Sigh, I swore I wouldn't do this after getting onvolved with the pro league, league and playoff structure, but the system you guys use needs a MAJOR overhaul.

The proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" stems from when shriek dropped out of jav league and according to the original format you had Light playing sk8, and Elu getting a bye. Now the league ops decided to change the format and have Light play Elu, stating that doing so "avoids redundancy". Now first off, don't take this as whining in any fasion, we crushed Light pretty easily so I'm not complaining about getting the tougher opponent. That out of the way I can continue, avoiding redundancy is the WORST possible reasoning they could have used. First off, it's a horrible idea to EVER change a playoff format for any reason other than something that would cause a total collapse of the system.(ie:5 teams drop out of the tourny) This was not so, instead of just letting the system work like it was intended, they meddled and didn't even do a good job of it.

If they WERE going to mess with the system, the only logical thing to do would have been to take the team with the best regular season record (Light) and give them the bye. This is simple and would continue to add validity to the regular season. Now, I brought this idea up to the league Ops, and they stated that "the regular season isn't a factor". Now, this is totally inconsistent with what they had already done, when they seeded the teams 1-8(or however many teams they originally had) based on their performance in the reg season. I have asked why this wasn't done repeatedly and have never gotten a satisfactory responce.

Revision: To start off the basic design surrounding twld and twlj is flawed. They rank teams based on absolute kill/death and not kill/death differential. This makes no sense, if you play a team that only shows 4 people as opposed to 5 you should not be hurt by this force which is out of your control.

The second major flaw in the system is that the playoff structure is enigmatic at best. It's not posted publically, and it keeps changing. You need to have a SET playoff structure BEFORE the league starts and you need to stick to it. Changing your playoff should be a last resort only used if something goes horribly wrong.

There are dozens of oither things I could suggest but those are the most basic and easily changed formats. If the league runs ranking through win/loss, then kill/death, then common opponents, it'll be a better and more fun league for all.

I still have several regular season/playoff formats and formula's saved on my computer form when I used to help out in pro. If the league ops would like to see one or would like any assistance with the up-coming season find me in ss or e-mail me.

-Void
    Last edited by Nethervoid; 09-03-2002, 10:50 PM.

Re: What this league needs to be successfull

Originally posted by Nethervoid
    Sigh, I swore I wouldn't do this after getting onvolved with the pro league, league and playoff structure, but the system you guys use needs a MAJOR overhaul.

The proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" stems from when shriek dropped out of jav league and according to the original format you had Light playing sk8, and Elu getting a bye. Now the league ops decided to change the format and have Light play Elu, stating that doing so "avoids redundancy". Now first off, don't take this as whining in any fasion, we crushed Light pretty easily so I'm not complaining about getting the tougher opponent. That out of the way I can continue, avoiding redundancy is the WORST possible reasoning they could have used. First off, it's a horrible idea to EVER change a playoff format for any reason other than something that would cause a total collapse of the system.(ie:5 teams drop out of the tourny) This was not so, instead of just letting the system work like it was intended, they meddled and didn't even do a good job of it.

If they WERE going to mess with the system, the only logical thing to do would have been to take the team with the best regular season record (Light) and give them the bye. This is simple and would continue to add validity to the regular season. Now, I brought this idea up to the league Ops, and they stated that "the regular season isn't a factor". Now, this is totally inconsistent with what they had already done, when they seeded the teams 1-8(or however many teams they originally had) based on their performance in the reg season. I have asked why this wasn't done repeatedly and have never gotten a satisfactory responce.

Revision: To start off the basic design surrounding twld and twlj is flawed. They rank teams based on kill/death and not wins and losses. This is a inefficient way to go because who really cares about how badly your beat on the easy teams as long as you beat the tough teams. A team that goes undefeated game-wise but doesn't have a good win/loss might even miss the playoffs. That doesn't seem quite right to me. This is a bad system for many reasons, the first I listed above, and the second is just as bad. If you know your playoff ranking is being determined first by kill/death a team is less likely to give some of it's less experienced players gametime. I'll use my squad Elusive as an example. Say Elusive is going to play.....Pallies or someone during the regular season. This is a team which we could probably beat fairly easily. Now under the current system we are going to use our regular starters in hopes that we will get a large kill/death. Under the system I propose, we would be able to maybe play 3 starters and let 2 newer pilots get some game experience and time. Basing your league ranking on kill/death stifles the growth of the league skill-base and only helps to widen the skill gap between the have and the have-nots skillwise.

The second major flaw in the system is that the playoff structure is enigmatic at best. It's not posted publically, and it keeps changing. You need to have a SET playoff structure BEFORE the league starts and you need to stick to it. Changing your playoff should be a last resort only used if something goes horribly wrong.

There are dozens of oither things I could suggest but those are the most basic and easily changed formats. If the league runs ranking through win/loss, then kill/death, then common opponents, it'll be a better and more fun league for all.

I still have several regular season/playoff formats and formula's saved on my computer form when I used to help out in pro. If the league ops would like to see one or would like any assistance with the up-coming season find me in ss or e-mail me.

-Void
    Yes.
    Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Re: What this league needs to be successfull

stuff
      you sir, need to post more. good ideas.
      Animol> the solution for crimelization is openetion of heartization
      Moltenrock> STOP TALKING TO MY TEAMMMATE ASSHOLE

Comment

Re: Re: What this league needs to be successfull

Originally posted by triceratops

you sir, need to post more. good ideas.
        You sir, need to post more pictures of yourself. I want to use and abuse your bony ass.
        I have stopped swimming in the rock pools a few days ago. Now instead of 40 minutes swimming, I substitute it with 40 minutes power walk - usually on the beaches or around the cliffs. Nothing beats burning the fat in the cold wind. Colon minus pee.

Comment

I can't even begin to express how stupid the decision to have TWL, and not have any form of other tournament/division/league going. TWL is for the elite, is that right? pfffttt stfu. TWL is rather a "fake" unreal competition i think. Due to the limited number of squads and constantly playing eachother... there are squads out there that could take the best of TWL. How about starting up TWD and letting all of TW get involved like it should be. Hurry it up... ^^
          http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...asp?id_=824053

Comment

Originally posted by Fiction
            Hurry it up...
            Considering Mythrandir is spending his free time coding the bots that will be used for your future enjoyment, you should be a bit more respectful when putting time demands on him. With all he did for TWL, I'm sure he would have liked to take a much deserved vacation from people constantly demanding things of him.

Yes, there were good squads that were not initially represented in TWL. However, those that weren't chosen initially got the chance to prove themselves when there was a small tournament for vacated spots. Those squads that were looking to beat the best of TWL should have stepped up at that point. As it turned out, the expected squads (Doom, Onix, etc.) won the torunament and received the spots.

llater,
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by brookus

Considering Mythrandir is spending his free time coding the bots that will be used for your future enjoyment, you should be a bit more respectful when putting time demands on him. With all he did for TWL, I'm sure he would have liked to take a much deserved vacation from people constantly demanding things of him.

Yes, there were good squads that were not initially represented in TWL. However, those that weren't chosen initially got the chance to prove themselves when there was a small tournament for vacated spots. Those squads that were looking to beat the best of TWL should have stepped up at that point. As it turned out, the expected squads (Doom, Onix, etc.) won the torunament and received the spots.

llater,
              Tony
              Agreeing with Brookus on this, he is doing more than just the bots that will be used for TWL. Mythrandir is a smart guy when it comes to decisions as well. I would say have more respect for him to everyone that says hurry up with TWD. He is doing the best job he can, which is a very well done job.

Lots of love,
              Left_Eye
              Last edited by Left_Eye; 09-04-2002, 02:25 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

If I remember correctly, the turnouts for most of the tournies were pretty weak.

Comment

Despite your good suggestions, you will be ignored Nethervoid. The TWL ops are ignorant and narrow-minded.

Oh, and Crome is a shithead.

Bye bye now.
                  jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

i hate to point fingers.. but i honestly feel crome is biased. and tries to put siege in the best situation possible. i have no problem with siege. mainly just crome. as always staff4champs
                    how can you win? when staff makes you forfiet. gg
                    RaCka> how can i get you here
                    death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
                    RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
                    death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

plopp> im not a newbie ok!! im a butterfly waiting to come out of his coon!

Comment

Originally posted by brookus

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
                        Considering Mythrandir is spending his free time coding the bots blah blah blah blah blah , you should be a bit more respectful when putting time demands on him. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah... With all he did for TWL, I'm sure he would have liked to take a much deserved vacation from people constantly demanding things of him. blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

llater,
                        Tony
                        Nevertheless,
                        hurry it up...
                        http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...asp?id_=824053

Comment

Pppfffttt, Exalted is hardly in a place to be complaing. There was a tournie to get into TWLD AFTER the start of the season, you didn't show up then (or even register to play) Myth is going as fast as he can i'd just leave him be.
                          The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                          All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

No Excuses

There should be no excuses for a fuck-up like that. If the guy running it KNEW he wouldn't be here then he should have left instructions on who's in charge and exactly what to do in case of emergency. When you start to mess with the system at will your league losses credibility, you lose credibility and it's pointless to have the league. Taking a leave of absense during the most critical point of the season without a strict set of guidlines for people to follow is bad practice.

What I find interesting is that no staff member has ever bothered to reply to my post or try to refute my argument. As of right now the rules in twld and twlj have a shitload of loopholes that could be used to a teams advantage if anyone was smart enough and bothered to look.

Comment

Re: No Excuses

As of right now the rules in twld and twlj have a shitload of loopholes that could be used to a teams advantage if anyone was smart enough and bothered to look.
                              Agreed. Add in twlb to that as well. If a team has a 25k+lead at the 15 minute mark, it is in their best interest to warp and hide in the safe for the remainder of the match. This is not against the rules.

llater,
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X