X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twd-s

Trench War League Spider.
    Why not have a league for spiders?

I know its been brought up lots of times, but I think its such a good idea.
    Post comments here.
    "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
    • Shark
    • Dicer
    • Sager
    • Trench Wars Map Uploader

I don't see what would be so bad in putting it as a possibility and then seeing who would sign up for it.

However consider this :

- 3 TWL's.
    - 3 TWD's.

That's 6 leagues. God knows how many matches in each, and only so many ER's to watch over games. IF they do consider it it would be after seeing how well 6 leagues can be maintained. Personally I'd be all for a special map made so that 2 teams of 5 or 6 battle it out in similar style to a regular TWLJ or TWLD but where any ship is allowed. The map would have to be designed so as to make any ship besides levi usable. No flag though, just battle to the death.

But I doubt it'd be considered ^_^
    Last edited by GuruMeditation; 09-10-2002, 01:59 AM.
    gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
    gravy_: Electric granny chariots
    gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

The bot will be able to host spider duels as well. There's hardly a difference between warbird dueling and spider dueling.
      If spider dueling is popular enough, a ladder will be created for it as well.

Comment

Are you telling me matches are going to be ENTIRELY bot hosted?

Comment

yes.

An ER+ will have to set the bot in the correct arena and simply !start the game. After that, no supervision should be required.

Comment

That's asking for trouble ... I mean your bots are cool and all but a ref/staff member should always supervise, no matter how automatic the bots are. Even if it's a lowly ZH.

Comment

note that TWD games individually are of lesser importance than TWL games.

And then what kind of trouble are you talking about?

Comment

Potential appeal issues. It's best to always have a staff member watching over the game just to assure it's smooth running. The chances of something going wrong might be minimal but jeeze ...

Of course if it was disown doing the watching the chances of trouble would increase.

Saying TWD individually is of less importance than TWL is demeaning to squads playing TWD. Any squad be it TWL or TWD should get the same treatment.

Comment

I think you got me wrong.

Take TWL-B. Every squad plays 11 games, no more, no less. If a bot screws up in that game, then we got a problem. If the squad loses one game due to the bot, they even might lose the chance to win TWL-B.

Now look at TWBD. The amount of games a squad plays are limitless. If the bot screws up one game and causes a squad to lose unjustfully, the squad can do the following:

the squadcaptain sends screenshots and logs about the game to a TWD Op. The TWD Op checks the logs and compares them with the logs the bot generates. According to the logs the TWD Op can declare the game void and compensate the rating points of the squads.

Also, if the bot screws up but there is no proof of it (which is highly unlikely to happen), the squad can just compensate its rating loss by playing 1 or 2 more games.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythrandir
                    the squadcaptain sends screenshots and logs about the game to a TWD Op. The TWD Op checks the logs and compares them with the logs the bot generates. According to the logs the TWD Op can declare the game void and compensate the rating points of the squads.
                    Heh, now if only TWL refs would have done that maybe my squad wouldn't have got screwed over last season.

A loss is still a loss and it hurts. I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to watch over games, but all depends on how many games there are per hour, over all 6-7 leagues.

Comment

Let's say that the bot is 95% reliable. Which means that it screws up 1 out of 20 games (which is a very high and unrealistic amount, personally I am expecting 98-99%).
                      So in 1 out of 40 games a squad wins due to a bot screw up, while it was losing before.
                      All screw-ups can be reported to a TWD Op and he'll deal with it.

Now what can a ZH do when a bot screw up occurs? Nothing. The ZH can only report what happened; screenshots and logs by the squadcaptain work just as fine.
                      And what can an ER+ do? Well, the best he could do is switch to manual hosting...

Next point, the average TWD game lasts about 40-45 minutes. So to supervise a game, it takes 45 minutes (!!!) of a staffmember just to be there in case of what?

Comment

Any staff member one would think would be a neutral point of view in the matter.

I was thinking, if people can't attend all the matches how about having designated people to be contacted in case of a problem? For example :

4pm EST TWD games will be starting soon. Contact xxxx <ER>, yyyy <ER> or zzzz <ER> if you have any questions/problems.

Yes, I know people can type ?help, but it's to make sure there are three people who will be there dedicated to league matters. Three people they know they can contact, instead of throwing a ?help and hoping for the best.

Comment

Perhaps you should re-read the announcement in TWT News. TWD games aren't on set times anymore, but can be played anytime in the week.

Comment

Heh. Ok point taken

When I started reading the boards again it had too many posts for me to just read em all

Comment

I think it's better to play it safe and have a staff member at least witness the results. If nothing else, it will provide a neutral perspective, and there would be someone there if something were to happen.

Whether this is feasible in the "matches-at-any-time" format is another matter, but all attempts should be made to have someone there whenever possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X