Partitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partitions

Okay if i have two partitions one a win98 and one a winXP and i want to get rid of the 98....

i installed XP through 98 so the bootloader seems to be in the 98 partition..

so when i tried setting XP as active it wouldn't even load

and so obviously i can't just delete the 98 partition either

anyone know how to transfer the boot loader so it reads from the XP partition.. that way i can delete the 98 partition

i use partition magic so it's pretty easy (to fuck up as well) but it's function to simply set XP as Active disabled the ability to boot cuz the loader is still on the 98.... i had to use some handy slackware software to correct it

any ideas....
    i'm bored

Try going to fdisk and setting the XP as primary?
    TWLD Champion 'Season 11'
    TWLD Champion 'Season 14'
    Trench Wars Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by War
      Try going to fdisk and setting the XP as primary?
      i dunno if that'll change much, cuz i ran a slackware utility in DOS and XP was in fact the primary and set as bootable, so PM did its job.... but the bootloader was still in the 98 partition, so problem was still there
      i'm bored

Comment

Short answer : You're screwed.

Long and expensive answer : Get partition magic. I'm pretty sure you can merge the two. Don't ask how, I just tend to go for the total reinstall.

Intelligent answer : Why the hell are you using XP anyway? Scrap the whole system and install Win2k. Even Win98 SE is better than XP. But at least you're not using ME.

Complicated but very functional answer : Dual boot Win2K/Linux (Mandrake by preference) with VMWare installed (which apparently runs XP very well).
        gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
        gravy_: Electric granny chariots
        gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

Fdsik is of no use here (atleast i don't believe it's possible to trash a prim partition when there's still an extended partition present)
          Partition Magic might be able to "fuse" (not in the mood to give a detailed description) them but I'm not sure.
          So PM is your best shot short of repartitioning the entire HD.
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by GuruMeditation

Long and expensive answer : Get partition magic. I'm pretty sure you can merge the two. Don't ask how, I just tend to go for the total reinstall.

Intelligent answer : Why the hell are you using XP anyway? Scrap the whole system and install Win2k. Even Win98 SE is better than XP. But at least you're not using ME.

Complicated but very functional answer : Dual boot Win2K/Linux (Mandrake by preference) with VMWare installed (which apparently runs XP very well).

VMware is not very usefull. It offers you only limited functionality of the Operating Systems you run and it requires a pretty high-end machine to run smoothly.

Comment

four words:

fuck windows run linux

jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

yeah i already said i have partition magic, XP is a good OS actually and this really has nothing to do with its faults...

win98 SE i have on the other partition but i dont like it... XP makes my PC run extremely fast... i think it's a fine OS

i already dual booted win2k/linux early on but win2k doesn't run as fast as XP and i found that i dont really need linux right now.. im in comp sci so i'll run it eventually.. but i found when i used it all i did was try and emulate everything from windows, which really defeats the purpose of using linux

anyway, thanks for... nothing..

your answer 1: merging will be gay
                your answer 2: scrap the system... wow thanks.. my system runs fine i just have to change the settings of which partition is active...
                your answer 3: umm.. scrap my system and install two new OSs.. amazing...

guru ur useless

thx for trying to help tho.

i decided i'd just reduce the w98SE partition to about 3 gigs and leave it sitting there.. with the XP taking the remaining 37

i intended to keep it originally, kind of a failsafe in case XP breaks down or something

i wanted to replace it with a linux partition, but since those things take like no space i can just add one and triple boot

XP is good man, seriously
                i'm bored

Comment

2K beats XP ez

Comment

Sorry erad I'm used to useless people asking these kinda questions.

And a good system wipe every 3 months is good for it's health.

That and XP is demon spawn. Sorry my answers are kinda influenced by that. A lot of my vehemance (however it's spelt, please don't correct me) is based on the fact it sucks for USB modems. Not much importance to most of you but early Wanadoo systems used these. They were very much in vogue until Wanadoo realised that it was much easier to share one of these connections than the traditional type on top of the fact they couldn't control your IP as well as the other system, and also the fact the drivers provided with the modem were not totally functional on XP systems (as soon as you exceeded a certain transfer rate the connection 'crashed' and you needed to restart). Alcatel provided driver updates but for the other reasons Wanadoo are trying to purge the USB systems for the more traditional network card ones, using the XP driver fault as the backbone of their reasoning.
                    gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                    gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                    gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                      fuck windows run linux
                      Make sure to watch your step when you jump onto the Linux fanboy-wagon.
                      Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

erad i would not suggest using partition magic. i dont really care becuase i format once a week because im a tard. ive tried partition magic before... not a good way to go if you dont want to format your stuff. partition magic can do a lot of damage. mess up a lot of stuff. jason you prob. have newbie mandrake, go for redhat
                        TWLD Champion 'Season 11'
                        TWLD Champion 'Season 14'
                        Trench Wars Veteran

Comment

Not much importance to most of you but
                          true.
                          i'm bored

Comment

I have used Windows 98,95,me and Xp to be honest the one i most like is 98 and do not use ME. Xp is for people who need to name there computers so you can hit "Turn off Sexy PC". Although i like using xp home if its a family machine. But if its just for you scrap XP and use windows 98 . And the only reason i like to use windows XP home so i can macro my characters in online games, Well i log off and someone else uses the pc.
                            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

advice

I have never found anyone to have a sensible reason for running a dual opsys PC, it is near pointless and always always ends in tears, boot magic causes problems, and can easily get corrupt, believe me i have seen it more than once.

In my opinion

Windows 2000 does everything windows 98 does, just takes twice as long to get here, add service pack 3 and it takes even longer.

ME is just 98 that looks like 2000, with more bugs than 98 and 2000 put together.

XP just has a bad reputation, and everyones instant answer to XP is negative, and is based on what they have heard and not what they have seen the majority of the time. XP still amazes me with how quick it is over 2000, the only thing i can fault on XP is the layout, nothing is in logical places, me and XP only get along when its in "classic mode" Also drivers give me greif.

eRad, if it where me, i would get all my data off, delte all partitions, low level format, and reinstall XP or 2K, keeping a single OS and get a Linux Box later, with a KVM to switch between 2 computers, 1 mouse/1monitor/1keyboard.

But thats just me, and i wouldnt have multiple OS' even if i was given money.
                              Anything i would have suggested has allready been said.

-aphix
                              Last edited by aphix; 09-28-2002, 04:00 PM.
                              help: (skate) (elim): I fell off my chair, can someone help me up?

Comment

Working...
                              X