Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl not allowed in yearbook because she's gay

http://www.altweeklies.com/gyrobase/...d=oid%3A143583

For the past two years, since Kelli came to grips with her sexuality, she has been forced to deal with the strange dichotomy between the person she knows herself to be and the identity foisted on her by others. Though her family has been unusually supportive of both her sexuality and her decision to live openly as a lesbian, the reception at her school has been less charitable. In fact, Kelli’s sexuality is the source of a dramatic rift, one that has dominated her senior year and which threatens to exclude her from that most fundamental record of high school life: the yearbook.

The source of the tension isn’t student intolerance. Though boys like Kyle have made Kelli’s life difficult and sometimes miserable, the real problem comes from higher up the high school food chain. The strongest opposition to Kelli Davis is led by Fleming Island High School Principal Sam Ward.
    In September, accompanied by her mom, Kelli showed up at Cady & Cady studios in Mandarin to have her senior picture taken. The choice of outfit (provided by the studio) was either a black drape or a tuxedo top. As she stood watching the process, Kelli began to get an uncomfortable feeling. She watched as a girl with orange spiked hair and ear- and lip-piercings adjusted the drape low between her breasts, barely covering her nipples.

"I knew right then I couldn’t wear that drape. Even as a kid, I would never expose my chest," Kelli says with a slight smile. "So I choose the tuxedo. Hey, if it’s good enough for Sharon Stone and Sigourney Weaver, it was good enough for me."

When Kelli’s turn came, she donned the tuxedo top and bowtie, and posed for a series of photographs. The resulting shots are cute in a Mary Lou Retton-kind of way, but otherwise unremarkable.

Kelli herself forgot about them until October, when she began hearing rumors that her picture wasn’t going to appear in the yearbook.
    "I thought it was a done deal — over," says Kari. But when she returned from Christmas holidays on Jan. 3, Kari discovered it was not over. For nearly two weeks she was called to a series of meetings with the school guidance counselor, the assistant principal and Principal Sam Ward. The general consensus was that Kari somehow planned to put Kelli’s picture in the yearbook despite being told not to do so. Kari vehemently denied this, but neither her disavowals nor her track record were enough to save her job. Ward finally told her she was being removed from the yearbook staff because Kaneer "wanted [her] out of the class." Kaneer denies saying this, but Kari was removed. The Fleming Island Talon will be published without her, and despite the fact that she gave two years to the project, all traces of Kari Sewell as creator and editor will be stripped from its pages.

Kari says she was devastated by the news. "This is my future," she says. "It’s what I want to do with the rest of my life."

Kari insists she had no intention of undermining Ward’s decision. It would have been impossible to do so anyway. By the time Kari was yanked from the yearbook staff, the high school had already instructed Cady & Cady, Inc., the company that photographed the students and published the yearbook, not to permit Kelli Davis’ picture to appear.

Though Ward made his decision clear at school, he did not call Cindi Davis until late November. When he did call, he explained Kelli’s picture would not appear in the yearbook because it was not "uniform." Cindi Davis questioned Ward’s reasoning, but he was intractable. "He totally refused to consider anything else I had to say," she says.Cindi Davis responded that if he wouldn’t allow Kelli’s picture to appear with her class, she’d buy a full-page advertisement in the yearbook and run Kelli’s picture anyway. Ward implied he’d prevent the picture from running, even in a paid ad. Coincidentally, the deadline for yearbook ads fell on the day Ward called. But Davis hustled, bringing a check and Kelli’s picture to the school immediately.

She also called Clay County School Superintendent David Owens and asked him to intervene. A tall, thin man, seemingly uneasy in his own skin, Owens can often be seen with arms crossed or hands in his pockets, while he examines undetected particles in the air. Where Sam Ward has a reputation for being abrupt and unyielding, David Owens’ is the mirror opposite. Teachers, School Board employees and some parents of Clay County students call him "non-confrontational" and "conciliatory" to a fault.

"Whenever the buck can be passed," says one employee, "David Owens is up for the handoff."

The superintendent told Cindi Davis he had not seen Kelli’s picture, but declined to get involved. "Mr. Ward thinks the picture is not uniform," parroted Owens. "He has the final decision." Cindi Davis told Owens that she felt it was important for Kelli’s picture to be in the annual, so she was buying an advertisement in the back of the book. She said that since there would be paid advertisements for everything from car dealerships to tattoo parlors, they had better accept Kelli’s picture, too.

"Only if Mr. Ward OKs it," Owens stipulated.

When contacted by Folio Weekly in late November, Owens continued to back Ward. "I’m leaving it up the principal," he said. "I’m very much supportive of him."

"But," he quickly added, "you know why she wore that tuxedo, don’t you?"
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Sexism at it's worst...
    I don't see why the hell the made such a big deal about it.. i mean, it's only a tuxedo. Can anyone "prove" she was wearing it to show her sexual preferences? (rhetorical question) And even if she was, whats the big problem?
    It's interesting to see that even now in the 21st century there are still some people that live in the dark ages when it comes to universal acceptance.
    STARKITTY
    A White Mage

Buy edu backlinks

Comment

Generaly speaking intolerance is a good thing, maybe not in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitron
        Generaly speaking intolerance is a good thing, maybe not in this case.

I'd love to see you explain this one.
        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Beez, that avatar of yours reminds me of a tennis puzzle I have...
          I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Kari says she was devastated by the news. "This is my future," she says. "It’s what I want to do with the rest of my life."
            Good to know she was a person of such high aspirations.
            Reclusion
            "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

i'm confused, the girl who wore the tuxedo is Kelli? or Kari? or Kaneer?

wtf K-names.
              thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Originally posted by cundor
                Beez, that avatar of yours reminds me of a tennis puzzle I have...
                This was the only picture I could find that fit the size.
                http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Originally posted by bloodzombie
                  I'd love to see you explain this one.
                  We shouldn't be tolerate to everything, want to be tolerate to someone who believes that god has sent them to nuke your home town? In this case, from what I can gather, the school did the wrong thing. Hope that clarifies my very vague comment.
                  Last edited by Vitron; 03-03-2005, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I'd say send mr Ward an email: sward@mail.clay.k12.fl.us :P
                    You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Originally posted by Vitron
                      We shouldn't be tolerate to everything, want to be tolerate to someone who believes that god has sent them to nuke your home town? In this case, from what I can gather, the school did the wrong thing. Hope that clarifies my very vague comment.
                      I don't think you understand what people mean by tolerance. Unless you just use "nuking your home town" as your standard of good behavior. So you can tolerate lesbians, as long as they don't want to nuke your home town, but what about black people? are they ok (assuming they're not nuking you)? French people are hard to understand, but I guess I'd let them move into my neighborhood.. as long as they don't try to nuke my home town.

Comment

I'm not talking about gays, but our morals are falling apart because we have to be tolerant of everything. Where do you draw the line between unethical and tolerable?
                        Last edited by Vitron; 03-03-2005, 04:21 PM.

Comment

There's a big distance between being tolerant of homosexuals and letting people nuke you. Your example of when not to be tolerant fits a worst case scenario and you're using that small example to say that "generally speaking" it's better to be intolerant.

Edit: in other words, it's more accurate to say "generally speaking, tolerance is good except when you're talking about people who want to nuke your home town" than it is to say "generally speaking, intolerance is good except when it comes to homosexuals."
                          Last edited by Troll King; 03-03-2005, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Disregard this post, I'm stupid
                            Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                            1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                            1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                            1:Chao <ER>> at all
                            1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                            1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                            Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                            Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

but you got great cookies
                              Reinstate Sarien
                              ph> AND THEN ME AND THE PLOINKIES WILL HEAD DOWN TO THE LOCAL CRUFFER FOR TEA AND WONKETS

Hal Wilker> Need I look recall the statement? And Suh.. control ya ho

"no, it's Monday, which of course means it's ethnic day, so ill be going with Rosalita"

Comment

Working...
                              X