SS Mac (VPC Redux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Mac (VPC Redux)

I decided to install VPC 7.0.1 tonight to see if they were bullshitting about any improvements in speed. I turned out to be fairly well surprised.
    I installed on it Windows XP Home.

You can see my OS X stats: Dual Processor G4 10.3.8, 896 Meg of Ram.
    The framerate in Continuum says 90 and I saw it jump up over 100 a few times. In 800x600 it's playable, very playable in fullscreen. Not so much in windowed mode, and my guess is cause of all the extra crap it has to draw. It's somewhat too jumpy for me at 1024x768 but I didn't turn off all the options and there are better Macs with better video cards than mine out there. Not to mention that I should probably turn off every ounce of extraneous crap in XP.
    "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

l3 cache is useless.

Comment

Nice job, could you give me a step by step how to do that? Id like to see my mac be able to play some subspace.

Comment

Ok First, the VPC SysReqs:
        Hardware: A 700 MHz native* PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
        Operating system: Apple Mac OS X version 10.2.8 or later; Mac OS X version 10.3 is required for the Power Mac G5
        Free Hard Disk Space: 3 GB
        RAM: 512 MB
        Display: 1024 x 768 resolution monitor displaying thousands of colors
        Storage: CD-ROM drive (or connection to a local area network if installing a network)
        Peripherals: Mouse or compatible pointing device
        * Upgrade cards and accelerators are not supported
        After you obtain and install VPC it's pretty straightforward. Install Virtual PC 7 for Mac, then get the 7.0.1 Update and apply that. Instead of using the default empty harddrive it gives you, click the new button, and you'll get asked What OS you're going to install. Win 95,98,ME,2000,XP Home,XP Pro, Linux, or Other. Select your flavor and install it. I found that XP actually seems to run faster in VPC than Win98, even if it takes longer to install. After you create the hard drive, put your OS install disc in, and from the VPC->PC Menu, choose restart or "type Ctrl-Alt-Del" to restart the fake hard drive.
        Install your OS.
        IMPORTANT: Now choose "Upgrade or Install VPC Additions" from the VPC menu. It'll install some junk to the emulated OS to help speed it up.
        After the restart try to turn as much graphics junk off in the OS as you can manage. Anything and Everything you can find to cut down the footprint of the emulated OS will be a good thing.
        Install Continuum, and play around with your options and res sizes until you find what works best for your specific setup.

Addition: GTA 1 is also very playable under 800x600 res. Yes i realize how old that is, but it's not like I'm going to jump straight from Continuum to Vice City to see how it works.
        Last edited by Sarien; 03-13-2005, 05:59 PM.
        "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Working...
        X