dvorak keybaord layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvorak keybaord layout

Anyone ever tried this? I pulled this quote from a different forum.

I use Dvorak. It took me like 2 weeks to learn it, and I now am typing 90wpm with less than 90% error rates. I used to type 60wpm max. If you're going to be using a computer for the rest of your life, why not take 2 weeks to reteach yourself how to type in a less stressful and easier way.

This is Dvorak. It's an ergonomic keyboard layout that you can easily switch to in windows. The letters are arranged for the english language so that the most commonly typed words have letters closest together. QWERTY on the other hand was developed to keep the old school type writer typists from typing to fast. The Type writers had arms which moved back and forth and got stuck together if they moved too fast.

QWERTY is just the most retarded way to type I could imagine... I gaurantee I can type faster than anyone on a QWERTY keyboard. no joke, qwerty sucks. When I have to go back to QWERTY it's like driving a geo metro compared to my Si.

I printed out the keys, and cut them out and rubber cemented them to my keyboard. Eventually I learned the keys and didn't have to look anymore. You don't have to buy ANYTHING, windows easily lets you switch between QWERTY and Dvorak.

start /settings / control panel / Regional and Language Settings / "Text Services and and Input Languages" / [Details] / -keyboard / [add] / "Keyboard layout" / United States - Dvorak / close window (apply)

what I did was try the typing program out every once in a while to get used to it, and switched back and forth until I felt comfortable with dvorak completely. Gradually I got my speed back and now I absolutely Hate QWERTY keyboards. I can still type on them at my old speed, and I do switch back and forth frequently, but if I'm at home, I better have Dvorak.

I have a typing program I can send anyone who wants to try it. Mavis Beacon stopped letting you use the dvorak layout back in version 4... luckily I have that.

here's a good site about it:

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/

# Typing words on the home row is easier.
    # Typing whole words with one hand is difficult.
    # Typing whole words that never touch the home row is ridiculous.
    http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

I think we talked about this on here before. I have never really tried it, but I think it would probably be a lot easier to just stick with the original keyboard layout. The main problem is that you might be fine on your own computer, but if you have to use a computer at work/library/school or whatever, you'd be screwed.
    sdg

Comment

Call me stubborn, but that layout just looks really awkward. After thirteen years of QWERTY it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for me to learn another layout. I might try it one day when the spaceships get boring though.
      Originally posted by Tone
      It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
      Originally posted by the_paul
      Gargle battery acid fuckface
      Originally posted by Material Girl
      I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, but when you think about it, you can fairly easily switch the work keyboard to dvorak style, unless you're an IT person that works on other peoples computers all the time, but also, it's not like if you learn this new way, you'll completely forget the old way. It might just take a couple lines before you get back into the groove.

Anwyay, I think I'm gonna give this a shot.. I'll let everyone know in a few weeks how it's going.
        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

i dont wanna relocate the keys on my keyboad
          PURE HATRED> i cannot dodge your bombs AND my teammates
          pv=nrt> YOU ARE MINE PRINCESS iNgeNfyRe
          hogo> iNgeNfyRe Just got HoE'D
          Dark Moogoo> psst, bring the cookies and cream

Comment

Does this mean I'll have to reset my key defs?
            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

He can't type faster than me on a QWERTY keyboard. Just ask people who have played me in Trivia. BPM-Dogbert could probably beat him, too.

But I do want to switch to dvorak at some point.
              Originally posted by Ward
              OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

i use a MS natural keyboard (the left and right side are separated); would that work on this?
                top 100 basers list

Comment

i use Azerty (france keyboard) works good for eng & dutch words.

i hate QWERTY that is so fucking useless.
                  Originally posted by Kolar
                  My reaction:

;1;Holy Shit
                  ;1;Al Qaeda took care of method for us

Comment

I'll try it, I have like 50 keyboards in my closet so I can just switch the keys on one of them.

EDIT: the layout feels nice (not much finger movement), it just takes a while to figure out where the keys are. btw, Im using it right now
                    Last edited by Overburn; 03-17-2005, 10:16 PM.
                    Like, there was this ninja who got
                    ticked off at some people who kept
                    talking while he was trying to rock
                    out on his guitar, so the ninja totally
                    flipped out and sang at them till
                    they all exploded!!! (true story.)

Comment

I think I will also try this...who knows.
                      3:disown> some dude just honked at me
                      3:waven> if i get any more medals its gonna crash the site
                      3:disown> pulling him over
                      3:disown> fukin clown
                      3:Revolt> you driving?
                      3:disown> yes
                      3:disown> at work
                      3:Revolt> ??
                      3:tmac <ZH>> the fuk
                      3:Revolt> in police car
                      3:disown> pulling him over, one sec
                      3:tmac <ZH>> LOL
                      3:Revolt> playing trench wars?
                      3:Revolt> ?????????
                      3:disown> yes got a dell in here
                      3:tmac <ZH>> pro
                      3:disown> im alttabbed on chat

Comment

It's about quality, not quantity.
                        sage

Comment

Vykromond, you type too fast.

let someone else win.

ps:fuck you t0ne
                          >o-/\/\mmmmmmmmmm/-<o<<-<

Comment

I think QWERTY works well enough for Finnish people.
                            last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

yeah, the big problem I would only see with this is that you'd have to go back to the default keyboard format when you're at work, school, etc* and it might get annoying. I just gotta say this about changing your keyboard format..

... I never woke up in the morning and went "Hey, I need to have a keyboard setting that will be different from the default qwerty style cause this qwerty shit is dumb." Or maybe I'm the only one here.
                              DELETED

Comment

Working...
                              X