Wireless Networking Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Networking Question

(if this is totally ludicrous, go easy on me, im a newbie with wireless and i am just asking about the possibility )

Would I be able to get ANY wireless signal to go from my house on the roof (30+ feet high) to about 2000 feet away?

here's a distance map...not 100% accurate, but shows the distance.

I would have to go through a not-very-thick forest of the tops of pine trees, like the ones showing through the top in this picture:

Is this possible? I am not sure if i can see the other building itself from the roof...haven't tried, but from satellite photos i can tell both mine and the other building are almost perfectly straight across from each other from the center of the buildings. I doubt LOS would work... but would there be any possible way for this to work with any equipment? Even if the max I can get is 150-300kbps, that's fine.
    Surffaan näitä foorumeita munasillani.

This won't help you in any way, Hoju, but i thought i'd commend you on your quality addition to your sig.

It entertained me slightly, which the most that any mere human can strive to achieve...

EDIT: Unless you happen to be Conan O'Brien.
    Last edited by eRad; 07-08-2002, 11:55 AM.
    i'm bored

Comment

Max range in open space is about 300 mtrs or so (1000 comes to around 300 mtrs if I'm not mistaken), which can vary.
      Also you'd have to take humidity into account and alot of other factors besides range alone.
      I don't think it would work all too well (if it'll work at all).
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

humidity is always 70-100% here

and... thanks i guess, eRad
        Surffaan näitä foorumeita munasillani.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoju
          humidity is always 70-100% here

and... thanks i guess, eRad
          Ouch, atmospheric conditions greatly influence the quality of a wireless LAN connection (christ what a sentence).
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
          X