Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Flowers

Anyone else seen this movie?

To tell the truth, I hadn't heard anything about this movie until last night, when I saw it on the marquee at one of the theaters downtown. It's the new Jim Jarmusch film, and at very least, it's interesting. That is, assuming you like Jim Jarmusch flicks--it's very "him."

The movie stars Bill Murray in a sort of "Lost in Translation"-type role (aging hipster coming to terms with blah blah blah) and is basically chock full of stars in 5-minute roles. The storyline basically finds him getting a mysterious letter from someone from his past, and him and his sleuth neighbor delving into his past (which he'd rather not delve into in the first place).

It's an interesting movie in the fact that the ending is very... abrupt. At first, it left me on this really weird note, wanting the movie to continue. But having a night to sleep on it, I really like the movie completely through, including the ending.

So check it out if you were a fan of Ghost Dog, Coffee and Cigarettes, Dead Man or any other Jarmusch film. I guarantee you won't be completely disappointed (at the worst). At it's best, you might find a film that was just right for it's time.
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Seriously Conc.

I thought it sucked, and I'm tired of Bill Murray trying to win an Oscar.

edit: He needs to go back to his best roles: The Guy in Caddyshack, and.....the guy in caddyshack.
    Originally posted by Tone
    Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Bill Murray rocked in Space Jam.
      Originally posted by Tone
      It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
      Originally posted by the_paul
      Gargle battery acid fuckface
      Originally posted by Material Girl
      I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Lost in Translation!
        Is a great movie... I would be amazed if Broken Flowers would be has good as Lost in Translation, but we can always get surprized.
        A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer
          edit: He needs to go back to his best roles: The Guy in Caddyshack, and.....the guy in caddyshack.
          Dude, fuck that. He was fucking awesome in Lost in Translation, not to mention bad as fuck in Ghostbusters, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic (the boat shoot-em-up scene? ridiculous)... hell, he was even decent in Groundhog Day, and I don't like that movie at all.

Ed Wood, Kingpin... the guy's got a lot of great movies under his belt, and a pretty damn wide swath of capability.
          Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

I thought it was a good movie, it wasn't for everyone and I can see why I a lot of people came out unhappy at the theatre. Near the end of the film an old lady infront of me said "that's it!" loudly as it ended, the ending was controversial but at the same time life doesn't always end on a high note. Just because he didn't meet his son didn't mean he wouldn't later in the future, this movie let people think what they wanted to think.

I tend to notice that most people go to the movie theatre to see the same old shit, aslong as it's near two hours, keeps them entertained, makes them laugh then you can sell any type of movie.
            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

I can't watch good movies with people anymore.

Since all my friends moved to college, I have tried to hang out with the cool "indie" crowd a couple times. Out of the 3 times we hung out, we started to watch Donnie Darko TWICE.

THAT MOVIE SUCKS.
              Originally posted by Jeenyuss
              sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

I like Groundhog Day - it reminds me of being 10 years old.

Don't forget What About Bob?! Great role.

Comment

yeah, groundhog day is good. everytime someone mentions it i get that song stuck in my head

Comment

Ghostbusters is one of my favourite movies, I like Bill Murray.

Comment

i think a lot of "indie" people enjoy donnie darko because it has all the ingredients to be a movie about a tortured emo kid.

but then it goes into the stupid time traveling bullshit
                      PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

I loved Lost in Translation. It's one of my favorite movies. The cinematography is amazingly rich and stylish, and I love all the little hidden gems that pepper the film, like Scarlet Johansen is supposed to be Sophia Coppola, and her boyfriend is supposed to be her ex-husband Spike Jonze, and that annoying blonde chick is supposed to be Cameron Diaz, and that hip-hop dude is Mike D of the B-Boys.

She denied it, but she did have personal connections with all those people, and all their personalities match up exactly with those three people---in their mannerisms, style of dress, and dialogue. It's funny shit.

And those incredible shots of Tokyo, and how can you not love a Japanese guy singing God Save the Queen over karaoke?

Anyway, I think Bill Murray is such a great actor. He can be completely silent and have no dialogue, but his facial expressions and body language speak volumes. And as far as deadpan, comedic acting goes, his particular delivery is one of the best in the business.

Thx Conc, I'll check this flick out.

Comment

now here is my on-topic post

i wasn't a big fan of this movie or lost in translation, but i can appreciate the fact that the acting and directing was well done in both
                          PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

life aquatic is an insta classic
                            To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
                            brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

one of wes anderson's poorest, imho
                              Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                              sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X