Strat RPGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat RPGs

Makers of awesome strat RPGs like Disgaea, La Pucelle and Phantom Brave(can't remember the others).

I started a discussion like this on another forum, don't remember which one, but that doesn't matter. I believe at least some of you have at least played one of their games, along with FFT, and since we are heading into the next console generation, I had a question.

One, do you think it would be cool or uncool if Nippon Ichi published for people other than Sony, perhaps even PC? Think of the scale they could do if they did a PC version of Disgaea or Phantom Brave.

Two, how close do you think Nippon Ichi is to SquarEnix, like in terms of fun, skill and over all game development.

And three, do you think NI could move into more traditional RPGs, say around the Breath of Fire/Final Fantasy set up, or pretty much any RPG type other than strategy? And how good do you think it would be?

And a side question not dealing with NI, have any of you heard of the Korean RPG coming to PS2 called Magna Carta? I got the latest issue of Play magazine not long ago and it looks pretty interesting.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
    .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

best strat rpg series imo is Fire Emblem series

I heard of Magna Carta
    Girl if it's alright,
    100%.

Comment

i liked breath of fire 3
      Big Chill

Comment

what about Shining Force I and II (havent played any others)? they were pretty strategic

Comment

xcom

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
            what about Shining Force I and II (havent played any others)? they were pretty strategic

FUCKING AWESOME. They both have some horrible bugs in them (in Shining Force 1, there are some very unbalanced characters. Musashi comes to mind. With only the tiniest bit of work, Musashi can kill most enemies in 1 hit, and only get hit 1 hp himself, which is a big deal when he has like 90 fucking hitpoints. He could singlehandidly win some battles (as long as there isn't a magician) SF1 has like 12-15 characters that you should take if you want to have an easy game. Even if you take all the worst characters it's still pretty easy.

SF2, Reverse! ALmost all of your guys with liek 4 exceptions get killed in two hits, which is a bitch when there are more enemies than you! Those 4 guys are pretty ridiculous, thankfully the main guy is one of them. It's also awesome and way to easy at the end, but for a good 5/6ths of this game it's decently hard. Check them both out.

Guys, post things like that for your games, I want to check them out, fill me in on what they're like.
            The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
            All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

I was lost after the first two sentences, looool.

3:Mega Newbie> bam ashlee whats wrong taking nude pictures???
              3:Mega Newbie> its an art!!!!!!!!
              3:Mega Newbie> only jealous girls and gays dont like it!!

-

1:megaman89> WOW IF U WERE TRAPPED IN A FIRE I WOULD RUN AND SAVE U ASH
              1:Cape> then ud throw her back when she says she still isnt givin it up

-

tim> .?squad tim
              BAM__ Ashl> ?squad tim
              Squad: timo<3ashlee

-

MODERATOR WARNING: bam__ Ashlee is a sex machine -Mithrandia <ER>

Comment

To start things off, I've only beaten Disgaea, and played a little of La Pucelle. It bored me so I haven't gotten past like the first chapter. Haven't tried Phantom Brave yet, I'm kinda afraid it's too like Disgea and La Pucelle. Bad thing about those two games (maybe it changes down the road for La Pucelle), but it seems more like a level grind and less of a strategy aspect of gaming. For disgaea, some battles did require strat but some just couldn't be beat unless you spent time crunching that exp. I must have sucked ass at La Pucelle because the same thing seemed to happen and I wasn't feeling that system nearly as much as I did Disgaea, so I wasn't going to try and lvl up for that.

Originally posted by SpiderMage
                One, do you think it would be cool or uncool if Nippon Ichi published for people other than Sony, perhaps even PC? Think of the scale they could do if they did a PC version of Disgaea or Phantom Brave.
                I wouldn't mind seeing them produce something large-scale games of like Command and Conquer or Starcraft sized battles.

Two, how close do you think Nippon Ichi is to SquarEnix, like in terms of fun, skill and over all game development.
                Again like I said, I think NI leans a bit towards level grinds rather than overall constant stragety. Their stories and characters seem cool though, nothing wrong in that department. Original stories, or at least somewhat fresh spins on old ones that seem like they could keep me entertained.

And three, do you think NI could move into more traditional RPGs, say around the Breath of Fire/Final Fantasy set up, or pretty much any RPG type other than strategy? And how good do you think it would be?
                I think they could if they tried hard enough, and it could work out great.

And a side question not dealing with NI, have any of you heard of the Korean RPG coming to PS2 called Magna Carta? I got the latest issue of Play magazine not long ago and it looks pretty interesting.
                Nope sure haven't. Details on the system/story?

BTW I only played Shining Force 2, and I couldn't get past that damn chess battle. That game woops my ass harder than Tactics Ogre without the hardcore lvling.
                My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient
                  xcom
                  yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue
                    To start things off, I've only beaten Disgaea, and played a little of La Pucelle. It bored me so I haven't gotten past like the first chapter. Haven't tried Phantom Brave yet, I'm kinda afraid it's too like Disgea and La Pucelle. Bad thing about those two games (maybe it changes down the road for La Pucelle), but it seems more like a level grind and less of a strategy aspect of gaming. For disgaea, some battles did require strat but some just couldn't be beat unless you spent time crunching that exp. I must have sucked ass at La Pucelle because the same thing seemed to happen and I wasn't feeling that system nearly as much as I did Disgaea, so I wasn't going to try and lvl up for that.
                    I can understand what you are saying but to be honest La Pucelle didn't require that much leveling. I beat the game without spending hours on leveling, I just followed the story.
                    Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

Yea I'm not disagreeing with you because I didn't get too far into the game. I guess I just played it too soon after Disgaea because I almost felt like I'd have to do the same thing I did with Disgaea, which was level, level level.
                      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the Nippon Ichi games at all. I played pretty far into Disgaea, but then it became pretty obvious that I would have to spend hundreds of hours levelling up and doing the shitty item world, so I quit that. I'm not a fan of watching the Winged Slayer animation for a week straight, if you know what I mean.

La Pucelle turned me off right away, and Phantom Brave has a very shitty battle system. The games shouldn't really be called strategy RPGs. Compared to even FFT (Calculator anyone?) there isn't much strategy in the Nippon Ichi games.

Yeah, Shining Force is a great series. If you're a fan of those games, you should buy/emulate Shining Force CD which is upgraded versions of the Gamegear versions. The series still has a pretty active community, and people even do challenges to beat the games with only 1 character (which can be arranged with saved game hacking to make there be only 1 character). Pretty fun.

I've been meaning to play Tactics Ogre, but every time I start it up, the 30 minute intro bores me to death and I end up turning it off again.
                        sdg

Comment

Thing about Tactics Ogre is that most battles aren't hard as shit, it's just that once someone dies they are gone for good. This is annoying as hell if you get a bit into the game, because you have to get some new faggot and train them back up to the level of your other characters, otherwise they'll die in two hits also and you're just out of luck. 2 ways to get around this are-

1) Gang up on one bad guy at a time: Send all your guys and just focus on one or two enemies at a time, usually the spellcasting mofos.

2) Grind that exp with the computer: Tactics Ogre is the first and only game I know of, where you can level your characters with random battles and not have to be there to do it. You can do random battles vs the computer in the game, and if you jut give everyone shitty equips or only let them use some specific spell (forgot exactly, haven't played the game in years), then they can slowly gain exp every min or so and you dont have to touch the controller. I remember when I first found this out a few years ago, I set up the battle, left to go check out my school for the first time (so it was in 2003 iirc)- came back a few hours later and my peeps had gone up like 15 levels. Very useful, but may seem cheap to some.

I usually combine 1 and 2, although I never beat TO. I need to do that. You don't <i>need</i> to be 20 levels higher to get through in that game though, you can do well if you plan your units correctly.

Shining Force 2 though, that thing is the shit. If you want an SRPG, play that bad boy. Hard as fuck, once your people die I'm pretty sure they don't come back. Another game I haven't played in years, that chess battle stumped the living crap out of me. My units would just wipe time after time.

Comment

Anyone else played the Dynasty Tactics series?

Comment

guys, which games should I DL?
                              The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                              All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

Working...
                              X