Ong-Bak/Sagat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ong-Bak/Sagat

Don't know how many of you have watched Ong-Bak(watching it for the second time today... DO NOT WATCH IT IN ENGLISH!), but it centers around the Muay Thai martial art(absolutely awesome moves), which I don't know much about, like why they use their elbows far more than their fists. Anyway, in the Street Fighter series two characters are Muay Thai users, Sagat and Adon, and Capcom is very good about reflecting the real martial art style in their games, save for y'know the special moves and supers, but I was kinda wondering as I was watching Ting in Ong-Bak do all these amazingly acrobatic and fluid kicks and elbows why Sagat looks so much different. Are there different types of Muay Thai?

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
    .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Yeah. It's called theatrical muay thai which is not used anywhere but in movies.
    Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

Sagat employs teh true muay thai
      Levs r gay.

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbo
        Yeah. It's called theatrical muay thai which is not used anywhere but in movies.
        So then true Muay Thai don't use their elbows as much?

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
        .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

Sagat doesn't use Muay Thai, all he does is spam Tiger Shot and when you jump in he does Tiger Uppercut OMG

TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER UPPERCUT TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER UPPERCUT

(5 pts to anyone who gets that reference)
          - k2

Comment

Originally posted by K2Grey
            Sagat doesn't use Muay Thai, all he does is spam Tiger Shot and when you jump in he does Tiger Uppercut OMG

TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER UPPERCUT TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER UPPERCUT

I know I HATED that so much... only way to get past it is to roll(Capcom vs SNK 2) or do Shoryukens/Tatsumaki sempu kyakus to avoid the low ones in the older SFs, or Zangief's Lariet.

But what's worse(if you have played Marvel vs Capcom 2 as well), the aforementioned "tiger tiger tiger" or Cable's "4 gun shots, viper beam, hyper viper beam, 4 gun shots, viper beam, hyper viper beat, etc" or MegaMan's "ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey Hyper Rockman!"

.Halo.

Comment

Taichi owns Muay Thai's ass!
              6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
              3 league vet

Comment

Didn't understand one word of the original post.

Comment

Watch some UFC to see some real Muay Thai kickboxing techniques.
                  DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by K2Grey

I'm reminded of street fighter 2 turbo

On topic, ong bak was an incredible movie. I bought it a few days ago and watched it again...still amazed.

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
                      Didn't understand one word of the original post.
                      Same.

3:Mega Newbie> bam ashlee whats wrong taking nude pictures???
                      3:Mega Newbie> its an art!!!!!!!!
                      3:Mega Newbie> only jealous girls and gays dont like it!!

-

1:megaman89> WOW IF U WERE TRAPPED IN A FIRE I WOULD RUN AND SAVE U ASH
                      1:Cape> then ud throw her back when she says she still isnt givin it up

-

tim> .?squad tim
                      BAM__ Ashl> ?squad tim
                      Squad: timo<3ashlee

-

MODERATOR WARNING: bam__ Ashlee is a sex machine -Mithrandia <ER>

Comment

actually, ufc is dominated by wrestlers, there are no muay thai fighters there
                        Levs r gay.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderMage
                          So then true Muay Thai don't use their elbows as much?
                          They punch more than they elbow, but punches are mostly setups for kicks, elbows or knees.

Originally posted by Condit
                          actually, ufc is dominated by wrestlers, there are no muay thai fighters there
                          I was under the assumption that most of UFCs latest title holders were mostly strikers.

And if you look at Pride FC, the best fighting organization, the two MW belt holders are from chute box, who focus on the standup. I guess the best HW is a grappler, but he has strong standup and he held his own against Mirko Crocop, the most prominent striker in MMA. If he keeps on improving with the same speed he has up until now the belt might be his in their rematch.

Edit: Forgot to add, the standup that chute box does is muay thai.
                          Last edited by Bilbo; 09-24-2005, 10:29 PM.
                          Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderMage
                            I know I HATED that so much... only way to get past it is to roll(Capcom vs SNK 2) or do Shoryukens/Tatsumaki sempu kyakus to avoid the low ones in the older SFs, or Zangief's Lariet.

But what's worse(if you have played Marvel vs Capcom 2 as well), the aforementioned "tiger tiger tiger" or Cable's "4 gun shots, viper beam, hyper viper beam, 4 gun shots, viper beam, hyper viper beat, etc" or MegaMan's "ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey Hyper Rockman!"
                            "ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey Hyper Nerd!"

(I loved SF2 btw, Ryu 4-ever, there was some point where I wanted to look like him.)

Originally posted by Miku19
                            Taichi owns Muay Thai's ass!
                            I doubt that, it may look cool, but no.
                            DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                            Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                            Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                            -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

Do you have any idea how much more durable your elbow and knee are compared to your fist or foot respectfully?

That is why.
                              ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                              Failure teaches success.

Comment

Working...
                              X