Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The thread where I will attempt to answer questions you have regarding Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thread where I will attempt to answer questions you have regarding Christianity

Yes, yes another religion thread. But I'm going to make it a little bit more interesting (not to mention raising my post count) by replying to all the questions you have from here on out.

Silly questions will receive silly answers... because the problem is I don't know everything, and you obviously don't know everything if you're asking a question. So the purpose of this is to learn from both the questions and the attempted answers. The main focus should ideally be away from a simple argument over existence, because I've noticed that in previous threads, your convictions are your convictions. And your ignorance is your ignorance. And everything goes both ways so why not learn about it a little bit more?

Needless to say, I'll most likely need help from everyone so please help each other with the questions and my answers as well. I'm doing this as an experiment to see how well online evangelism can work, as well as sharpen my own evangelistic skills for an event later on.

So go ahead and hit me with it... I promise to reply to all questions that aren't repeats, or "questions" that are simply statements to instigate controversy (edit: ok maybe I'll answer those too). Please keep in mind that I was a very dedicated atheist not too long ago, so my answers will be slightly tailored from my perspective, which is the truth as far as I know it.
    Last edited by Bioture; 09-30-2005, 04:48 AM.
    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
    TelCat> i dont

Why are you against killing others but a lot of people are for the death penalty?

3:Mega Newbie> bam ashlee whats wrong taking nude pictures???
    3:Mega Newbie> its an art!!!!!!!!
    3:Mega Newbie> only jealous girls and gays dont like it!!

-

1:megaman89> WOW IF U WERE TRAPPED IN A FIRE I WOULD RUN AND SAVE U ASH
    1:Cape> then ud throw her back when she says she still isnt givin it up

-

tim> .?squad tim
    BAM__ Ashl> ?squad tim
    Squad: timo<3ashlee

-

MODERATOR WARNING: bam__ Ashlee is a sex machine -Mithrandia <ER>

Comment

Originally posted by Ashlee
      Why are you against killing others but a lot of people are for the death penalty?
      In the 10 commandments, #6 clearly states "you shall not murder." I will have to say that the people who are pro death penalty are swayed either politically or personally. I believe that the death penalty is wrong because that it's people judging another person in an ultimate, irreversable judgment.

The person about to be executed may have done something seriously screwed up... but then again all sin is equal in the eyes of God.

Edit: I'm not saying the guy shouldn't be locked up for doing the crimes, but killing him wont allow him to feel remorse or repent what he/she has done.

[tone]
      http://www.thenation.com/doc/20010108/gross
      [/tone]
      Last edited by Bioture; 09-30-2005, 04:55 AM.
      TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
      TelCat> hoes get paid :(
      TelCat> i dont

Comment

What makes Christianity any more trustworthy than any other ancient religion?
        First of all it's well known the Christian, Hebrew and Islamic god are all the same. (Allah is the arab translation of God, only reason Europeans started using Allah when talking about their god is because it was important for us to differ from them, which was a key-element in creating the European identity). Anyway, do you believe these are all the same god? If so, do you also believe that throughout the ages, since the idea of god(s) goes back to Mesopotamian times, everyone was basically worshipping the same god but until the Christians everyone got it 'wrong'. And what about the religions from civilizations on continents who had never even heard of a place called Jeruzalem. Now that's kind of cruel of God, isn't it? What I also never understood is if there's a God why would he be so vague about what's the true way to worship him. All he ever did for us was to create a lot of different religions, who've been in a clash with eachother. Resulting in many religious wars in his name between civilizations since the ancients times (example: Crusades, Jihad).
        I think I'd rather go to hell than believe in a god who is as shitty at his job as he is. And to all Christians, I hope for you guys God isn't in charge of Heaven aswell, otherwise I wouldn't be surprised it's an even bigger shithole than earth is. (<insert Ricky Gervais quote from 'Animals' and/or Eddie Izzard quote from 'Glorious'>)

I hate threads about religion. Someone please reply with a quote from the bible or another holy scripture, so I can laugh real hard and leave this thread behind me.

Edit: Oh nm, Bioture already quoted the 10 commandments.

Comment

Is the christian god believed in by christians the Old testament, fire and brimstone pain and suffering god (I'm sure he did some good stuff too...) or the New Testament, Loving god?
          And how literally does your average christian take the good book?

Originally posted by Disliked
          Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
          +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

This thread has got 'flame my religion' all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theif of Time
              Is the christian god believed in by christians the Old testament, fire and brimstone pain and suffering god (I'm sure he did some good stuff too...) or the New Testament, Loving god?
              And how literally does your average christian take the good book?
              Sorry to step onto Bio's turf about answering, but this is my perspective on this question.

Old and New Testament God are the same, however in the Old Testament, there obviously was no Jesus, so thus he was more vengeful because Jesus had not died for us to pay for our sins so that we might be able to return home ot Heaven. Though it does kind of confuse me a bit, how God is different in the two Testaments, however he blessed those who believed him in both Testaments.

One thing that 've had a question about is from reading Genisis, the Garden of Eden was supposed to be around the Mesopetamia area, however the civilization that thrived there, mainly Babylon and Mesopetamia, were polythesists(more than one God), which doesn't make a lot of sense because, they are all extremely close descendants of Adam and Eve, who KNEW there was a God... so why the polytheism?

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
              .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

Just because a really nice person doesn't believe in god, he/she has go to hell? And a murderer + rapist who starts to believe in Jesus at the last minute will go to heaven? What happens if he changes his mind in heaven (that is, if there is one) ... oh wait, that is not my problem, you are the one stuck with him FOR ETERNALITY.

What if God punish people for spreading lies about him/her, what if none of the religion is actually telling the truth?

Why are religions all telling people what they want to hear, why people tends to turn to God and starts become religious when they feel most vulnerable (like people on death row)?

What is so good about heaven?
                ☕ 🍔 🍅 🍊🍏

Comment

How can Christians claim God is full of "unconditional love", when there's clearly one huge condition? Accept Jesus as your personal savior or go to hell.

Eg: Rev. 21:8 "The unbelievers...will be thrown into a lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

Sounds pretty conditional to me---as well as terroristic (using fear to achieve an agenda). Christianity plays the fear card when it benefits them, then uses the love card when it benefits them.

It sounds like a huge political scam to control people's behavior, and grab money and power---so why am I wrong?

Comment

Before Christianity was founded (that the right word?), did everybody go to hell?

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
                      How can Christians claim God is full of "unconditional love", when there's clearly one huge condition? Accept Jesus as your personal savior or go to hell.

Eg: Rev. 21:8 "The unbelievers...will be thrown into a lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

Sounds pretty conditional to me---as well as terroristic (using fear to achieve an agenda). Christianity plays the fear card when it benefits them, then uses the love card when it benefits them.

It sounds like a huge political scam to control people's behavior, and grab money and power---so why am I wrong?
                      This one is easy.

You can love a family member, but never want them to come into your house again because of something they've done.

Accepting Jesus is how you return home to Heaven, however even if you do go to Hell, God still loves you and feels saddened that you rejected him. Jesus felt pity and love for sinners, whether or not they accepted and followed him or not, however with love he also would pass judgement, just as while parents may love you, if you have done something wrong they do not want you in their home again unless you seek forgiveness and mean it.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
                      .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                        Before Christianity was founded (that the right word?), did everybody go to hell?
                        Still stealing Bio's thunder... but 'm sure he'll come along and add to it, or smack me upside the head... one of the two.

This one's kinda tough to answer as not everything is clear(at least so far as I have read), before Christ came there were the Hebrews, those who put their faith in God went to Heaven, those who didn't went to Hell. However even before that, during the ancient kingdoms, to my understanding, when Jesus died he was dead for 3 days, what I have been told is that perhaps during those three days he walked through Hell and offered those in Hell the samething he offered those on Earth before his death.

.Halo.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderMage
                          This one is easy.

You can love a family member, but never want them to come into your house again because of something they've done.

Accepting Jesus is how you return home to Heaven, however even if you do go to Hell, God still loves you and feels saddened that you rejected him. Jesus felt pity and love for sinners, whether or not they accepted and followed him or not, however with love he also would pass judgement, just as while parents may love you, if you have done something wrong they do not want you in their home again unless you seek forgiveness and mean it.
                          That's a fallacious analogy. Not letting a family member into your house is different than throwing them into a lake of burning sulpher.

How about this...there is a tornado coming, and this estranged family member in your analogy shows up to take shelter in your basement with the rest of the family.

If you love your family member unconditionally (as in the Christian claim of love is), do you really think that you aren't being a total fuckhead by sending him to his/her death by not letting them into the storm shelter?

There's a name for that in the real world: Criminally negiligent homicide.
                          Last edited by Subjugation; 09-30-2005, 12:55 PM.

Comment

an open letter to Dr. Laura
                            J. Kent Ashcraft
                            May 2000

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.
                            Originally posted by Facetious
                            edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                              There was no life before!
                              last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

Working...
                              X