Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TWL Maps

Hi everyone,

Just to let all of you know the new TWL maps are finally ready!

The TWLD map which has been up for a while has been fixed up with the new and improved tileset. Unless you guys can spot glaring errors, the map is final for the next season.

For TWLB, there was a map put up which had a few errors, which have since been corrected. As of right now (Sunday night, December 22nd) it has not been updated yet with the corrections, but will be soon.

Changes to the TWLB map include a reduced spawn area, tighter spawn size and a new tileset. As well the map is slightly different from the public base map, but all of the important holes and the important parts of the inside of the map should be exactly the same. As well, the blinking lights which used to be in the TWLB map to mark off certain points have been removed.

For TWLJ there is a test map put up with the changes that I personally wanted to see in the map. These changes include the following:

1) Smaller spawn area
    2) _/ \_ shaped side entrances (instead of _| |_ shaped side entraces). This is to allow for less vulching of people who are trying to get into the base and should help encourage people to get in the base and fight inside.
    3) The "C" shaped things on either side of the map which are slightly above and towards the middle from the two safety zones have been slightly altered. The entrances to these have been made bigger.
    4) The top of the map has been simplified and opened up. The entire top region is no longer so tight and there are less turns on the outer wall (smoother wall). This will hopefully help allow a very infrequently used portion of the map to actually be used.

Please note that these changes to TWLJ are exactly what I wanted, but may change if there is enough public pressure to. There are extremely good reasons (explained above) why I wanted these changes and if you want parts of the map to be back the way it was, you must give good reasons as to why you want it that way.

Regardless I encourage all of you to try out the new TWLJ and TWLB maps and play lots on them before you give critism!

Finally I'd like to thank Thorn for making the new tileset and tiling the maps.

Thank you,
    -Epi
    Last edited by Epinephrine; 12-22-2002, 10:18 PM.
    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
    www.animeslice.com

I thank you for considering these differences between the base map.

Comment

Thanks for the hardwork guys, but I don't care much for the TWLJ map. I thought that TWL was for the more expierienced players. It seems to me (correct me if i'm wrong) that the new map is basically the old one but larger (objects more spaced out). What was the goal of designing the map this way? It seems to me that now it would super easy for anyone to manuever around the map and it would encourage people using Direct Shots more then Banking Shots off of map objects because the walls are far off and people can basically float inbetween walls and not have to worry about splash damage. This doesn't seem very progressive to me, kind of boring really.

If the twlj map was going to be changed, I would be more interested in making the map more complex, allowing more solutions for different situations. As it is now, most people have memorized the angles and you see the same shots over and over. New design elements would help to make the map much more interesting and fun.

Anyway, those are my view/concerns. Hope you guys have a good season. And I like the tileset, it's not too fancy yet pleasing.

-Spam
      Who got the boombeef?

Comment

Spam: The only major difference in the new TWLJ map is that the top of the map is more open and spaced out. The bulk of the map (over 75%) is exactly the same. If it appears to be bigger it's because of the tileset, but rest assured it isn't.

I don't think completely changing the map is feasible just because the complaints would be endless and I'm not that great a mapmaker

-Epi

My anime blog:
        www.animeslice.com

Comment

It's a nice improvement over the twlj map. I agree somewhat with Spam that a tighter map, like baseelim, allows for more challenging and better use of the jav capabilities, but on the other hand, having some room to manuever in a 5v5 match is important.

It's better than twlj

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine

I don't think completely changing the map is feasible just because the complaints would be endless and I'm not that great a mapmaker

-Epi

Well you have a good starting point with the current map. I'm not talking about a total rework of the whole thing. But maybe a few significant changes here and there to kind of add more life into this map that has been played sooo much.

for instance, maybe just reworking the top part of the map (hardly anyone plays up there unless they are trying to get away from someone chasing them). Add some more elements could perhaps make that a more useful part of the map.

Just some suggestions to keep in mind, like i said too, even switching a few more tiles around can make a significant change that would add more life back into the map.

-Spam
            Who got the boombeef?

Comment

TWLB Map has been updated.

-Epi

My anime blog:
              www.animeslice.com

Comment

When you have finnished TWL-J map, you should put that to base elim too. A smaller spawn area sounds great!

Comment

Well well well

Just two comments on the twj maps. The changes made were made in good reason and I think will work well.

I would however like to see those huge safes from the twjd maps be incorporated into the twlj map. This is because its less frustrating to get into the safe and get started and we won't have fools trying to tk people who are trying to get into safes. Its easier, convient and just less of a hassle which benifits everyone with a good intent of getting the game started as quick as possible.

The second item is a fix I believe. This one is harder to explain since its map specific. Its probably easier to show so if you see me ingame just ask but I'll try an attempt at it here. The problem is the change that has taken place which is very small and I don't think was intented does effect the gameplay slightly. Well atleast it did with the twjd tileset I was changed soon after. Its the |_ and _| notches on the sides from the main entrance. In the original map it was more like _/ well not really but the bottom were curved a bit and allowed ships to get closer. This was definetely a problem with the twd tileset since it was huge. I don't know how much it affects the twlj tilesets since it seems relatively small. Anyway, its something to consider.
                  Jav Guide: Jav Guide

Too bad you have to be a pallie to see it

Comment

heh, i like it except when the terrs warp at start they get spawned a lot easier. A LOT EASIER. so it's almost pointless for a terr to warp at the start ebcasue they will get spawned easier. and there is more i will type up later.
                    There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Force of Nature
                      The second item is a fix I believe. This one is harder to explain since its map specific. Its probably easier to show so if you see me ingame just ask but I'll try an attempt at it here. The problem is the change that has taken place which is very small and I don't think was intented does effect the gameplay slightly. Well atleast it did with the twjd tileset I was changed soon after. Its the |_ and _| notches on the sides from the main entrance. In the original map it was more like _/ well not really but the bottom were curved a bit and allowed ships to get closer. This was definetely a problem with the twd tileset since it was huge. I don't know how much it affects the twlj tilesets since it seems relatively small. Anyway, its something to consider.
                      If you're talking about specific tileset tiles then actually there is no difference. No matter what the tile actually LOOKs like all tiles in a SS map actually acts like a small square. Even if it is diagonal, it is actually square. You can test this yourself by flying really close and doing some shooting tests.

Thank you for putting in constructive critism though

-Epi

My anime blog:
                      www.animeslice.com

Comment

The jav holes in the 2 towers are still symmetrical. And they aren't in pubmap. :|
                        Originally posted by Diakka
                        Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

after having two scrims in the new twlb map here are my opinions:

the smaller spawn area is HORRIBLE at start and the reduced distance to re enter the base allmost completely eliminates fighting in the lower base

and as said before I think that now the terrs are better of without warping in the start, as chancesof getting spawned are really high.

I also have to say that I don't like the new tileset much, the round tiles are ugly and red colored safes aren't my favourites either...
                          Spiderline ftw

Comment

Yup. We're gonna see games that will be fought in spawn.
                            Originally posted by Diakka
                            Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

I like it a lot, especcially the removal of one tile from inside the flagroom right on the edge of the "T"s near the entrrance. I also like the smaller spawn area but maybe it would effect the beginning too much, I'm not sure. Maybe it would do well in pub too so people would be edged into the base.
                              I'd rather be SubSpacing.

Comment

Working...
                              X