Ski Jumping
Time [Torino]* Event
6:00 p.m. Men's Normal Hill

Speed Skating
Time [Torino]* Event
3:30 p.m. Men's 5000m Final

Superted
02-10-2006, 05:07 PM
It's my first time watching the winter olympics, so I haven't a clue what half of those games are. I guess I need to do some wiki'ing, but I'll try to watch what I can on interactive TV. Did you see the opening ceremony?

Galleleo
02-10-2006, 07:29 PM
omg, the 5000m men final is gonna be sooo good. You have Hedrick, de Jong, Kramer and Verheijen as top fav. Kramer having the world record atm, wich he got in a race against Verheijen, and before Kramer Hedrick had the world record. Then you have Davis as a dangerous outsider, tho I expect him not to play that big of a role and moreso on the 1500 and 1000 metres.

Then you have outsiders like Fabris (Italy) riding for his own crowd of course, and ervik (norwegian) who, if he has his day can surely be very dangerous, and then you have 2 more norwegians who could be outsiders for bronze, but I don't see them competing for gold or silver (their names slipped my mind).

11th pair: Verheijen (nl) vs. Kramer (nl)
12th pair: de Jong (nl) vs. Hedrick (us)
13th pair: Dankers (can) vs. Davis (us)
14th pair: Ervik (nor) vs. Fabris (it)

Speedskating is like a huge sport over here in the Netherlands, and very likely the only sport we have any medal chances in. So I know alot about it, and it's also about the only winter olympic sport I know anything about. I'll be following as much as possible tho.

I expect the winning time to be around 6:10:00 wich would be really fast. World Record is somewhere around 6:08:00. But that was in Heereveen, wich is prob the fastest low lands icering there is. This one is slower, anywhere between 6:10:00 and 6:15:00 will give you a very good shot at the medals.

Da1andonly
02-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Hannu Manninen is a fuck.

Galleleo
02-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Did he lose? I saw the ski jump part, haven't see the langlaufen (is that the right word in english) part. He was 8th after jumping but supposedly is a very good langlaufer (I am just sticking to this word because it's the only one I know)

On a different note:

1. Hedrick
2. Kramer (19 years old.. omg)
3. Fabris

Good 5k, tho the ice was supposedly really bad, so the times I predicted before had to be adjusted upwards. I will sorry for Verheijen tho, if one man deserves a medal.. (he came in 4th, like 0.2 short or something)

Da1andonly
02-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Hannu Manninen has won basically everything (team-related) except a personal medal. He probably lost because he had huge pressures..since he never won anything big on his own. He became 9th...

langlaufen, hm, longdistance skiier maybe? :P

Galleleo
02-13-2006, 06:17 AM
It's the dutch word for it. (tho laufen is german)

Huge surprise in the 3k speed skating for women yesterday, with us (the dutch) coming in 1st and 2nd while everyone expected that Klassen and Friesinger would be the 2 fighting for 1st and 2nd and the rest would fight for 3rd place.

Miku19
02-16-2006, 07:57 AM
It's called crosscountry skiing.

Send
02-16-2006, 11:36 PM
its all about the hockey

Da1andonly
02-17-2006, 04:15 AM
indeed send, indeed.

ANYWAY

AHAHARAGJARar sweden lost 5-0, and HAAAAAAARHAHAHHA at the checz for losing to switzerland :D

Shadowmere
02-17-2006, 06:44 AM
So far impressing teams on Hockey have been Finland and Russia

Russia because they actually beat Sweden 5-0.. That was like "omg, they're gonna be tough". Russia's offense was 1337 elite leet ownage.. For real, their goals against Sweden were just sweet.

Finland because even though the opposite was bad, they beat switzerland 5-0, and Italy 6-0, showing up they have very good defense and goalie+offense.

When Finland and Russia meet, I hope they will, it will be an even match, even though I think Russia will be the one owning up, I hope Finland will do good.

Sweden let me down becuase they lost to Russia.

Stabwound
02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
There's a big argument going on in Canada about what the women's hockey team is doing. They think the olympics will end up taking women's hockey out for the next winter olympics, because they're being disrespectful and running up the scores, showing that no teams really can compete with them. I myself thought it was pretty shitty when they went 16-0 against Italy, the country that is hosting the olympics...

Troll King
02-17-2006, 05:44 PM
People say that, but if you asked the Italian team if they were glad to have played team Canada in front of 8,000 fans, many of them would say they were ecstatic, regardless of the score. Don't forget; the only reason Italy has a team was because they were the host country. They wouldn't have qualified otherwise. They didn't need to enter a team; knowing full well how overmatched they would be, they did anyway.

They won't take women's hockey out of the next games because those will be in Vancouver and it's a guarenteed cash cow. It's the next Olympics that are up in the air. Sweden's upset win over the U.S. will help, and there are still years of development ahead for other countries until those 2014 games.

Baseball and softball have already been pulled and people think women's hockey will be next, but the difference is that hockey is a bigger sport in European countries than baseball, and that might help give it a reprieve from the chopping block.

Galleleo
02-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Olympics for Italians is already a succes after winning bronze on the 5k and gold on the team pursuit.

Italy never having won a single medal in speedskating.

404 Not Found
02-18-2006, 08:26 AM
I cannot see Hockey being pulled from the olympics. Thats the only sport I enjoy out of the entire winter olympics.

I do know that the NHL is considering a rule that any players playing professionally in the NHL for the next winter games will be restricted from participating. Obviously this will effect the men and not the women.

Personally, I feel that the olympics should be for amateurs and not established professionals the way it use to be. Too many million dollar pro's playing in both the summer and winter games.

Sadly enough...I thought I would watch these Olympics, but yet to have watch 5 minutes.

Galleleo
02-18-2006, 09:25 AM
What kind of stupid rule would that be? Olympics is about the best, the best are supposed to be the high paying pro's, (tho not every sport is high paying). Why would you want to deny them the right to play in the Olympics, that's bs. Didn't the NHL have a riot last summer with the players anyway? Do they really want a new one?

Da1andonly
02-18-2006, 11:45 AM
8 minutes left, go schweiz go!

404 Not Found
02-18-2006, 12:17 PM
What kind of stupid rule would that be? Olympics is about the best, the best are supposed to be the high paying pro's, (tho not every sport is high paying). Why would you want to deny them the right to play in the Olympics, that's bs. Didn't the NHL have a riot last summer with the players anyway? Do they really want a new one?
It was not until the 80's that the U.S. started allowing Pro Athletes to participate. Prior to that they where college students that played Ice Hockey as well as in Basketball.

Galleleo
02-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Yea but that's the U.S. You feel like it should only be amateurs, and I think that's weird, because what you want to see on the olympics is world records, excitement, etc. Not a bunch of amateurs going at each other, I wanna see the best of the best competing. And as I said, not all sports on the olympics produce high payed athletes.

Galleleo
02-24-2006, 12:58 PM
I decided to not make a new thread about it, but do it here:

Hedrick got owned and I love it. First I was in awe with what Hedrick did, and ok he had a big mouth, but he was confident, but then around the olympics his big mouth got bigger: I am gonna win 5 gold medals! BAAHAHAHAHA. Ok he starts off well, winning the 5k, but then teampursuit, America fails, they lose. Then he has the nerve to attack Davis for not skating for the American team so Hedrick couldn't get HIS gold medal, he attacked Davis on saying he was not a real American, he didn't have any patriotic feelings. Then comes the 1k, Davis shows him and wins, Hedrick isn't even with the first 3. Then comes the 1.5k, Fabris wins (in a phenomonal (sp?) race). Davis beats Hedrick again, coming in second and Hedrick 3rd. And then today, Hedrick gets owned on "his" distance (worldrecordholder, wich he also is on the 1.5k) by Bob de Jong.

In other words, I happy he got shown his place. GG Hedrick.