PDA

View Full Version : Champions League, 1/8 finals.

Galleleo
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Today, 21st of february:

Bayern Munchen - AC Milan
Benfica - Liverpool
Real Madrid - Arsenal
PSV - Olympique lyonnais

Returns: 8th of march

Tommorow, 22st of february:

Chelsea - Barcelona
Glasgow Rangers - Villareal
Werder Bremen - Juventus
Ajax - Internazionale

Returns: 7th of march, Internazionale - Ajax 14th of march.

So what are you expectations?

I think Bayern will take the win over AC Milan, Milan just seems to not be able to perform lately. Tho, this is champions league, lots of teams always seem to be able to bring something extra. And with Shevchenko you never know. Besides Kaka seems to be in top shape lately. Bayern might be missing Kahn wich wouldn't be good for them. But they do have the home advantage, I think this will be a close game, wich will either result in a tie, or maybe a 1-0/2-1 victory for Bayern.

Liverpool should be able to beat benfica with 0-2/0-3. Liverpool beating ManU last weekend for the first time in 80+ years (FA Cup) gives them a boost, and Benfica lost to a pretty small team. Liverpool should easily have this one.

I hope this will be a good match, but chances are it will be a pretty boring match, Arsenal missing some key players and Real never seems to be able to turn that bunch of elite players into an elite team. I think this match will be decided with some individual actions and I think Robinho might just be the decider in this match, I think Real will take it with 2-1.

I think that Olympique has this game. PSV hasnít been playing well lately, and eventho they constantly lucked out in the competition winning in the end, the mistakes they made will be fatal against an opponent like Olympique wich is probably in a better shape they were last year and then it was close between these 2. Olympique has been performing better away then home, so I think this is going to be something like 0-3/1-3.

Then the match everyone is waiting for, Chelsea vs. Barcelona. Barcelona is in super form this season, tho last few weeks they have been a bit shaky, but with players like Ronaldinho, Messi and Etoío. Tho of course Chelsea also has top players like Drogba. This match might boil down to Individual quality, a spur of the moment by Ronaldinho. Itís hard to say, Chelsea having the home advantage in this game, a tie, 0-0, 1-1, etc. would be very good for Barcelona and def. Puts them in a good position for the return match.

Tho Glasgow is the first scottish team ever to qualify for the second round of the championsleague, I donít see them going any further. These 2 teams can be seen as the lesser teams in 1/8 finals, but villareal should def be better then glasgow in this match, I think something like 0-2.

On paper this should prob be a pretty easy one for Juve, but you canít understimate Werder Bremen, they have been a solid team, performed well last year too. Tho if I am correct they are missing one of the attack duo Klose and Klasnic, and Klasnic doesnít perform without Klose. So that is a problem. I think that Juve will take the win in the end in this one, tho Bremen is undefeated at home so far when it comes to Italian teams, I think itíll either be 1-1 or 1-2.

Well, I am just biased in this one, I am hoping for either a 0-0 draw or a victory, wich would then be something like 1-0, 2-1. Any goal against Ajax tho could form a problem, because if there is a tie after the 2 matches, the away goals count double. I think that 0-0 would still give us a very nice view for the quarterfinals. But inter has some skill, Adriano, Martins. Tho our strikers are in form, Rosenberg and Hunterlaar have been doing great last few weeks. Hunterlaar scoring 4 goals last weekend, and Rosenberg 2. I am just hoping the match will atleast be close and we wonít get overrun. Tho we are having a dramatic season in the competition, we have been playing strong in the Champions League.

SkiTzO
02-21-2006, 02:36 PM
YAAAAAAY the champions league.

Byern Munich - AC Milan

I think Byern will win this match the germans always play well at home. But AC Milan are one of the top three sides for me, I just get this feeling Byern will win tho.
2/1 Byern

Liverpool - Benfica

Liverpool easy win

Arsenal - Real Madrid

I predict an exciting match with lots of goals. Recently Arsenal have been playing shit but so has Real, still I think Arsenal are going to be embarressed. Also there are more englishmen playing for Real Madrid than Arsenal hehe.
3/1 Madrid

Chelsea - Barcelona

I cant wait. I hope chelsea can stay diciplined and control and dominate this game because if it comes down to individual flair, I think Barcelona might nick it. Crespo to be the player to watch this match.
1/0 Chelsea

lol scottish playing football

Italians for easy victorys

Man I love the champions league, its on right now shhhhhhhh

EDIT: just watched the first ten minutes of Arsenal - Madrid and I may be wrong, cheers :)

Galleleo
02-21-2006, 04:46 PM
God what a boring night scorewise.

Results:

PSV - Olympique Lyonnais: 0-1
Bayern Munchen - AC Milan: 1-1
Benfica - Liverpool: 1-0
Real Madrid - Arsenal: 0-1

I have only seen PSV - Olympique so far, I think the end result is just. Tho I expected way more goals, also in the other matches, Benfica beating Liverpool was unexpected, atleast from my side. The other matches highlights will be on soon, so I'll watch them and come back with more.

SkiTzO
02-21-2006, 04:51 PM
All you need to know about the Madrid - Arsenal match is Thierry Henry.

H I M
02-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Tho Glasgow is the first scottish team ever to qualify for the second round of the championsleague, I donít see them going any further. These 2 teams can be seen as the lesser teams in 1/8 finals, but villareal should def be better then glasgow in this match, I think something like 0-2.

They aren't called 'Glasgow' as there's about 10 teams from our hell-hole city. It's 'Rangers', the sons of Satan who I will enjoy watching getting the shit taken out of them by the Yellow Submarines.

On another note, suck my balls Skitzo, you little snotty prick ;)

SkiTzO
02-22-2006, 02:17 PM
:grin:

Galleleo
02-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Results for today:

Ajax - Inter: 2-2
Chelsea - Barcelona: 1-2
Rangers - Villareal: 2-2
Werder - Juventus: 3-2

First off, props to Rangers and Werder, werder def. deserved a tie over the whole game, they took the win. Tho, juventus has 2 away goals, so 1-0, 2-1 at home would be enough. Of course villareal can't be expected as one of the strongest teams I would have guessed them stronger then the rangers, but they put up a good fight, Waterreus making some good saves keeping his team in the match.

As for chelsea.. first off, wtf was up with that field. One of the richest teams in the world and you have that mudbath you call a field? Second off, definatly a deserved win for Barcelona, they overclassed chelsea. And the red cart was deserved 2. Just because some 18 year old guy can own your whole team doesn't mean you have to attack his life.

Then for "our" match. We dominated Inter in the first half, for the first time in a long time we played really good football, smooth combining, 2-0 within 20' totally deserved. Could have been more after the first half. But second half we made too many mistakes, inter played better, more pressure, got to 2-1 pretty fast in the second half. We hold on well, but as always against Italian teams, they score in the last 10 min. I am starting to get traumatized by Milan teams. First like 3/4 years ago, Milan beats us in the last min (over the 2 games combined), then a year later, Inter kicks us out, in the last fucking min, and another year later again AC scoring in the last 10 min taking the win over the 2 games.. On forehand, we would have been really happy with 2-2, afterwards we should have gotten better. It's gonna be tough, inter only needs 0-0 or 1-1. So we need to score a goal.. we'll see.

Uridium
02-22-2006, 07:04 PM
hah galleleo i saw the ajax game, it wasent a bad game. This is the champions league and no team can sit back in the style ajax did after the break. Inter fought hard to come back into it.

the chelsea score was great i cant wait for Arsenal to be the only english team left in the competition.

SkiTzO
02-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Well my predictions were great lol

As for Chelsea ......................... At the start of the second half we played very well and I was like wtf did Moriniho say, we should have started the game with 10 men. I think the tie might be over, two away goals is hard to come back from but anything can happen in football :)

The Chelsea fans were just pissed that we got a man sent off. Did you hear the crowd "The referees a welshmen" lol that was funny.

Galleleo
02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Ajax didn't really sit back in the second half, the midfield just was a mess.. they lost too many balls, with the 2 goals from Inter, the last man was too far back cancelling out offside wich was a mistake yes, but then again looked at our defense: Trabelsi (he is what.. 25?) Heitinga (22) Vermaelen (20) and Emanuelson (19) (who played an awesome game btw, one of the best guys on the field, Figo never stood a chance). They didn't really hang back in my opinion, they just never got back in the game they played in the first half. Also because inter lay on much more pressure and much earlier. But there were to many mistakes on the midfield to really get out.

H I M
02-22-2006, 09:42 PM
The own goal Pena scored in the Rangers-Villarreal game was the best I've ever seen. Almost as crazy as Prso's handball in his own penalty box :P

CrvenBan
02-23-2006, 04:20 AM
As for chelsea.. first off, wtf was up with that field. One of the richest teams in the world and you have that mudbath you call a field? Second off, definatly a deserved win for Barcelona, they overclassed chelsea. And the red cart was deserved 2. Just because some 18 year old guy can own your whole team doesn't mean you have to attack his life.

Dude, looking at your predictions, I can tell that you don't know shit.
Did you even watch this game ? The field looked ugly, but it wasn't muddy, it was just not grassy.
Red card was complete miss by the ref who should have given 2nd yellow to Puyol in the 2nd half for his tackle. Del Horno went in for the ball and the body (in a way to even more scare Messi I would assume), but the little fucker jumped up, and then Horno missed the ball and they collided. Yellow card for the way he entered the situation, no way a red one. Also pay attention to Messi after he falls down, he looks up to see where the rep is, and then starts rolling around. I loved it when Terry mangled his ass.
Barca had no game first half, none of the stars did anything, and second half Chelsea on 10 men put some major pressure on them. They played excellent especially midfield, and it was shame they lost 1-2. They played bettre than Barca, and should have won it actually.

Mantra-Slider
02-23-2006, 04:22 AM
when henke came on barcelona got way better

SkiTzO
02-23-2006, 04:32 AM
CrvenBan you have the best sig

EDIT: I just found out that that game was the first defeat at Stamford Bridge under Jose Mourinho.

Galleleo
02-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Dude, looking at your post, I can tell you that you don't know shit..

That field was fucking muddy, no grass plus watering the field before the game equals mud and pools. That field was a fucking disgrace. Besides that, every single reporter and commentary guy seems to agree that it was a totally deserved win for Barcelona as they were the better team.

The red card was deserved certainly when you take in account how he attacked the knee of messi just before that one. Ref's have to make a sum of fouls too, not just look at every foul as a single case. Besides, right before he torpeded messi, Robben made an attack on his legs with 2 legs.

The theatre messi played is a part of football and everyone does it. Robben being a perfect example off it. Barcelona's win was deserved. They were the better team. Hell it could easily have been 2-4, comparing their chances to those of chelsea. I only saw the Highlights, not the whole match, but they showed the most important things, such as chances, fouls, subs, beautifull play that doesn't even nessecarily results in a chance.

CrvenBan
02-23-2006, 03:55 PM
The ref didn't see the knee-tackle on the Messi cuz that one was worth yellow itself. If he did see it, and waited for another tackle to give him red, he's fucking bad ref

Barcelona was not better team, no chance. They won cuz they played with a man more for 55 mins, and even then Chelsea took the lead and was still attacking.

You can't tell the deserved it if you didn't see the whole game which I did, and I am telling you, they didn't deserve it on the account of their play alone. They were lucky the ref fucked it up

Uridium
02-23-2006, 04:00 PM
i saw the game, my dad was AT the game. We both agreed Barca were the better team second half. I'll give it to chelsea - they were the only team in the 1st half but quality does always shine through.

messi is one of my favourite players in Europe - at only 18 he is an amazing talent. I'd love him to come to arsenal along side other young stars.

Galleleo
02-24-2006, 12:53 PM
There is more to reffing then just whistling and giving cards, good refs read the game, they sometimes don't give yellow where you would expect one to keep the game in check (he did play the ball first before attacking his knee, so the ref might have decided to let it slide for now but keeping it in his mind(Hypothetically), and seeing the combination of first robben going in with 2 legs at his ankles, and afterwards the foul from Del Horno (the ball was long gone he just torpedoed messi, with his foot leading the charge too) the ref might also have thought that if he didn't react to that one (see the hussle around the foul) with a red card to send off a message that the game would have gone beyond his control. Of course there are rules within a ref has to move and he can't ignore blatant stuff, but he can work a bit with lighter fouls and with cards in the spirit of the game.

Secondly, Barcelona had like 4 80% chances, Ronaldinho having 2 off his shots blocked, Terry saving on the line etc. And against that, what did Chelsea have? A freekick, a couple of corners, drogba attempting to score from the backline.. I still stand by my opinion that Barcelona deserved the win over the whole game. And believe me that on a normal football field, Barcelona would have overclassed Chelsea far more.. that field just didn't allow really smooth, good, combination football to be played.

unrealistic
02-27-2006, 02:02 PM
And believe me that on a normal football field, Barcelona would have overclassed Chelsea far more.. that field just didn't allow really smooth, good, combination football to be played.

You can't say that, the pitch was exactly the same for both teams...

Galleleo
02-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Yea but the difference is, Barcelona is a team that depends on the skill of player, smooth football, fast paced football, like pass after pass after pass with some individual actions. While chelsea is more of a working team, doesn't depend on finesse as much, working football if you will. And that field was far better suited for a team with working football, then a team like Barcelona it was harder to play their own game on a mudfield like that, then on a normal field. That was the point I was making, that field was in Chelsea's advantage, why else would they have sprayed the field before the game making it soaking wet.

Fire Blade
03-03-2006, 04:01 AM
You can't base an opinion about a game when you only saw the highlights :/ i saw a couple summaries from matches Ajax played, while i was in the stadium that afternoon, which totally looked like the other team was better while Ajax infact was better seeing the overall game. I didn't saw the game Chelsea - Barca nor did I see the summary, I just think it's biased to base an opinion about a match on a summary.

Galleleo
03-03-2006, 09:40 AM
A summary and what other people said about the game (who saw the whole game).. people pro barca and people pro chelsea, combined with my own observations.

NaiLed
03-07-2006, 04:50 PM
i'm glad barca won. shame messi got injured. mourinho still being a prick about losing.

Pressure Drop
03-07-2006, 05:34 PM
i'm glad barca won. shame messi got injured. mourinho still being a prick about losing.

I was a bit disapointed chealsa didn't give it more though. They needed 2 goals and 1 barca goal ment the 2 goals would still have taken it to extra time.

I didn't feel like they attacked enough, i would have started with crespo as i think he is a lot more offensive than drogba but when you need 2 goals you could off played crespo instead of drogba and Gudjohnsen instead off duff or robben from the start. I know they are great wingers but he was playing robben in a role that really would have suited Gudjohnsen.

In the end Barca deserved it but i thought that it was a bit to easy for them at the nou camp.

Galleleo
03-07-2006, 06:52 PM
I love watching barca play, with Ronaldinho, Deco, Eto'o and Messi.. it's like playing with 2 Micheal Jordan's in 1 team (I said 2 because of the only 5 players in a game in basketball). Ronaldinho was being a wizard again.. what that dude does with a ball.. omg

Juve was very lucky, and a shame for wietse (or something along those lines, the goalie) he played such a good match and then to make that mistake..

H I M
03-08-2006, 07:12 AM
Oh the blue room is bare.
'Cause they've no silverware.
They don't need Mr.Sheen
'Cause they have fuck all to clean.

Thus ends the luckiest run of any team to make it into the last 16, where they only won a single game against a piss poor Porto. Rangers' season ended last night. Out of Europe, both domestic cups and 21 points behind Celtic and 8 behind Hearts in the league. They might not even qualify for the CL next season.

Who said I'm fickle?

Bigyin
03-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Oh the blue room is bare.
'Cause they've no silverware.
They don't need Mr.Sheen
'Cause they have fuck all to clean.

Thus ends the luckiest run of any team to make it into the last 16, where they only won a single game against a piss poor Porto. Rangers' season ended last night. Out of Europe, both domestic cups and 21 points behind Celtic and 8 behind Hearts in the league. They might not even qualify for the CL next season.

Who said I'm fickle?

amen to that,
i mean poor rangers, i feel for them......................yea right MON THE HOOPS!

Galleleo
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
And real has yet another crappy season.. go money teams!

Surprising that Liverpool is out tho.

NaiLed
03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/851/specialone5ri.jpg