what kind of computer certification will make me the most money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of computer certification will make me the most money

college fucking sucks and i dont see going back anytime in the near near future, so i was thinking of spending some of my college fund on getting some sort of computer certification that would at least make me some real money in the short term. talking to some people in my office, they basically said in the computer industry, if you can actually do your job well with a certification, you are better off than someone that cant do their job with a college degree. do you find this is true? what certification do you guys suggest?
    5:gen> man
    5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Computer certifications are for the most part worthless. It used to be that any Schmoe with an MCSE or a CCNA could get a job, but (at least in the sectors I've been in) most people have caught onto the fact that the cert only means that you studied hard for a couple of tests.

Shit, if my college degree could have been achieved in how much time it took me to get my MCSE, MCSA, MCP and CCNA, I would've been done with that noise in like a couple of months.

All certs have a possiblity of teaching you something, but it's not anything that you couldn't find online by doing a little research. They don't teach you the hands-on experience. Want to actually learn the stuff to apply it? Get your hands on some really cheap-o computer hardware and just start loading shit on there. Figure out how Apache works. Set up an IIS server and then lock it down. Set up a basic Active Directory hive. Learn the in's and out's of MySQL and PHP. The way to do well in the computer field is to get yourself well-versed--not necessarily have more certs than your counterpart.
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Stick with college. Computer certifications are not what they used to be.
      Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

It depends on the job but someone with a college diploma or degree is probably gonna be favored over someone with some certificates. I hear there's also a trend of college IT level students being favored over university students because they don't have to pay them as much.

The first part of CCNA is pretty easy, I would have continued it if I could have taken networking in grade 12 but I didn't really learn anything. Just some stuff about the OSI model, basic computer hardware... the most challenging thing we did as a project was network two computers. I'm taking a system analyst program in college now and it's highly 'hands on' mixed with lectures. Maybe you just need to find the best way of working with the material, a lot of colleges and universities in my area also allow students to take online classes for some programs. There's also Coop mixed programs. There are a lot of options.
        Last edited by Kolar; 03-22-2006, 03:09 AM.

Comment

well the difference between me and you conc is id rather kill myself than work with computers my whole life, so i suspect we have slightly different career aspirations. i just sort of figured that instead of working for the man sorting mail i could work for the man doing computer stuff and get paid a fair amount more, since i am fairly naturally talented with computers, at least until i figure out what i actually want to do with my life. are you saying that there is NO certification that will get me a foot in the door any more than saying "i learned apache, trust me"?
          5:gen> man
          5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

hoho wait until Displ notices this thread - he's gonna hi-jack it like a 2$ internet rambo, and then tell you a shitload of information no one gives a shit about - probably resulting in this thread winding up in "trash talk".
            Originally Posted by HeavenSent
            You won't have to wait another 4 years.
            There wont be another election for president.
            Obama is the Omega President.
            http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ask Ruby
              Originally posted by Facetious
              edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

I may be wrong about this, but I feel like I have a decent handle on your disposition--the job you're going to find in working with computers with no degree and maybe a few certs is a job you don't want. At least not for more than 6 months. Those jobs are things like phone tech support or on-site support for end-users, which would make anyone but a saint into the angriest person on the planet after a long enough period of time. Usually that period of time is a year or two.

What I'm saying is that if you're not interested in the field, don't waste your time or money. Low end certs like an MCP or a CCNA are going to run you at least $100 each, and I don't think they really make a difference in what place is going to hire you. High end certs can run up from multiple hundreds to thousands of dollars, while still being virtually worthless in the face of formal education and experience in the eyes of techs or managers who know what they're doing.

The only cert that might actually make a difference for a tech support desk jockey is something like A+. I've never taken any of those tests, but it's the only "well rounded" cert that I would guess would make a difference in the hiring process. Maybe that's the track you need to check out.
                Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

im Comp TIA certified and it got me hired at a local comp store quick like.

Comp TIA A+
                  Comp TIA Network+
                  Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
                  1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
                  Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
                  caco <ER>> )Oo
                  caco <ER>> bot thief!
                  caco <ER>> duel me for it
                  Evasive <E> no!
                  Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

If you didn't like college, how are you going to study for a CCNA? I looked at a book for 3 minutes and fell into a 5 month coma. True story.

Comment

Working...
                    X