PDA

View Full Version : Nascar

404 Not Found
03-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Does anyone in TW actually watch NASCAR?

I am so amazed at how this is one of the largest spectator sports...not that I consider it a sport. I just cannot for the life of me understand what the attraction is.

Only thing that was remotely interesting from the one race I attended (not by my choice), was the 3rd turn at Pocono where all the beer and topless nudity was on display. Other than this part of the race, it was a waste of my time and day. Unless all your looking for is to get in the infield or sit in the stands drinking to a drunken stooper, I just cannot see how it is so popular. At least Grand Prix racing has more than just an oval track.

So if you do like this....fill me in...what's the draw to this event?

Facetious
03-27-2006, 05:29 PM
like pretty much all sports, if you know a lot about the rules, players (in this case, drivers) etc, it is interesting, and if you dont, it is boring. when i was younger i was obsessed with cars and was a huge nascar fan, so i know a lot about the teams, history, pit strategy, drivers, etc. now, i prefer to sit around with a few people and watch sports rather than watch by myself, so i watch more football and basketball because nobody will watch nascar, but objectively i am pretty much just as entertained by nascar.

WuTang420
03-27-2006, 05:34 PM
yeah nascar is cool. its no F1 but itll do since i dont get speedvision here. ive been into it for years so like face said i know drivers\pit strategy ect.

fav drivers= jeremy mayfield and matt kenseth

404 Not Found
03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
I understand everything about the sport. Have taken part with my cars in local Porsche Club races at Watkins Glen and Pocono.

Just that from a spectators point. I can't seem to get into it. Personal thing I guess, But I do understand your points as well.

Jason
03-27-2006, 08:57 PM
my thoughts on the matter pretty much echo what face said.

my father raised me on nascar, just like he raised me on football. i enjoy both, and as i've gotten older i've picked up basketball and a little bit of hockey.

Dameon Angell
03-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Again, what face said, and then what Jason said, I grew up watching Nascar, so I know alot of the background and history and pit strategy, etc* that makes it exciting to watch.

Favourite Drivers: Dale Earnhardt, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch
Hated Drivers: Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Matt Kenseth
Favourite Track: Bristol, at Night.

phata$$
03-28-2006, 12:02 AM
did you see jeff gordon get pissed today!!! LMAO

Dameon Angell
03-28-2006, 04:20 AM
That was so fucking funny. My 2 hated racers were gonna throw down. If I had to choose, I'd love to see Jeff Gordon kick Kenseth's ass.

PH
03-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Favourite Track: Bristol, at Night.I'd give my left nut for tickets to this race.

Dark_grim
03-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I'd give my left nut for tickets to this race.

some guy> Here's your ticket, sir.
PH> How much is it?
some guy> It'll only cost you your left nut.
PH> Ok. Hold on.
-starts cutting-
PH> AHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHH OWWWWWWWWWWW
PH> Here you go.
some guy> Enjoy!

:grin:

404 Not Found
03-28-2006, 12:28 PM
So as a spectator, would you actually sit in the stands for hours watching this? Seems that the replies have been noting that some had been raised on it and can watch it, but this sounds like this is being done from your home watching it on TV?

I have been on the track, in the pits & in the infield....I had no problem with that. Once I sat in the stands for an hour, I was ready to go. I dunno...maybe I am missing something from a pure spectators view.

Galleleo
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Only imagines from Nascar I have seen is that they drive on an oval shaped track.. do they only drive on oval shaped tracks or also with some different corners and stuff?

I follow f1 tho, but I would only ever want to go to a f1 race once to hear the sounds of those engines and expierence it and stuff, but for the rest I like the tv way more for following it. Can't really say why I like it tho, same with face I like most sports, I follow alot of events/sports, and f1 is one of them.

I do consider formula 1 a sport, because I heard the formula 1 drivers are probably the fittest persons in the world, they did like a test among sporters who were in best shape and stuff, and formula 1 drivers were all in the top of those lists, so it's more then just being able to drive.

PH
03-28-2006, 12:59 PM
The top series has two road courses, Watkins Glen (http://www.sportstravel.com/images/elements/303/WatkinsGlenSpwy_racetrack.gif) and Sears Point (http://www.alphatickets.com/images/tracks/infineon.gif) (I refuse to call it "Infineon Raceway"), and Pocono (http://www.sportstravel.com/images/elements/205/PoconoRaceway_ALL.gif) is more of a triangle than an oval. The series one tier below that has, I believe, one road course race in Mexico City. But yes, the vast majority of the tracks are ovals.

Judging from the behavior of spectators in the infields at these races, my guess is that the main draw of them is just the atmosphere. You can't go to a football game and party at the stadium with 100,000 other people for nearly a full week. Honestly, a lot of these fans will arrive at the track on Monday, and if they can't get in then they'll spend the rest of the week out in the parking lot throwing tailgate parties and generally cutting loose.

It's not just about Sunday anymore.

Galleleo
03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Yea, we have this thing over here in Assen, each year we have like a weekend with Motorraces and you'll see tons of people coming midweek with their motors and tents and they camp out there all week/weekend and party, drink, etc..

phata$$
03-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I have never been to a NASCAR race before but it does seem boring to be watching from the stands. But you gotta admit, if you leave before a car crash you will feel like slapping yourself.

Subjugation
03-29-2006, 04:23 AM
The only race I ever watch from start to finish is Daytona. Other than that, I just watch the last 30 laps or so of each race.

I can only be arsed to watch cars go around in circles for just so long.

Jason
03-29-2006, 04:32 AM
i think pretty much everyone who watches nascar on tv sleeps through a good portion of the race and only catches the tail end of it.

i know i always start out watching the beginning, having a few beers along the way. then i'm usually asleep before it reaches halfway, and i'll wake up within the last 1/4th or so of the race.

Facetious
03-29-2006, 04:44 AM
yeah i never watch the beginning/middle of a race on tv unless im watching some other sporting even simultaneously and i switch to nascar during commercials. at the race though, i would imagine paying about the same amount of attention as a baseball game, if not a little more. i love going to baseball games, but do i really digest everything that happens during a game? fuck no, baseball is boring as hell. i spend most of my time focusing on not getting caught making illicit mix drinks and talking to whoever i came with, but if theres an exciting situation ill pay rapt attention.

404 Not Found
03-29-2006, 12:53 PM
yeah i never watch the beginning/middle of a race on tv unless im watching some other sporting even simultaneously and i switch to nascar during commercials. at the race though, i would imagine paying about the same amount of attention as a baseball game, if not a little more. i love going to baseball games, but do i really digest everything that happens during a game? fuck no, baseball is boring as hell. i spend most of my time focusing on not getting caught making illicit mix drinks and talking to whoever i came with, but if theres an exciting situation ill pay rapt attention.

I agree with ya on baseball. I usually come out of my buzz by the 7th inning. Ever notice how good looking some women are when they are 20 rows down from where you sit....check um out for a bit wearing shades...and then they start walking up the bleachers.....it's when they get to about 3 - 5 rows to the row where you sit that you wonder.....OMG what was I looking at!!! I am definately a people watcher at baseball games, usually until the 7th inning stretch.