PDA

View Full Version : arsenal

Mantra-Slider
03-29-2006, 12:14 AM
gg, could have been even more.. Now it will be very exciting to see what happends down in torino ;) really didnt expect them to outplay juve like that!

Nockm
03-29-2006, 03:29 AM
Yeah and to have Fabregas shine out of all players, must really hurt for you know who.

Pressure Drop
03-29-2006, 09:04 AM
it was a great game, i don't like vieira so i was loving it.

Dabram
03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
as much as i respect vieira, seeing pires making a vieira-like tackle on vieira which lead to the first goal, gave me a big smile. second goal was just as pretty, i wasn't sure about hleb when they bought him, but he's seems to be getting better every week, he's as quick as ljungberg.
have to give huge respect to the arsenal defense aswell, 4 young guys giving trezeguet and ibrahimovic only half a chance all game..

also i'd like to say for once, eventhough you can't really compare the two and love them both, henry > ronaldinho. other than ronaldinho, henry doesn't need a topclass team around him to do well. this was best shown when he singlehandedly rolled up real madrid, and vs juve right after the first goal, theres a long ball, he wins it and eventhough he's in between 3 defenders he gets away and almost scores, and he just made me laugh when he made that rush in the end from his own half to the corner flag and seduced zebina to make a dirty tackle and collect his second yellow.. when you look at what henry has to work with (especially how young his team is) you have to admit he's the best.

Nockm
03-29-2006, 06:12 PM
I like dabram. Holland is full of good stuff

Mantra-Slider
03-30-2006, 01:35 AM
I dunno bram.. ronaldinho is pretty damn good aswell :=)

Galleleo
03-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Word on the street is Henry is going to Barcelona next season, that will be Ronaldinho + Henry in 1 team.

I didn't see the whole match, because they aired Barcelona vs. Benfica live here, but I saw bits on the Belgium channel were they aired Arsenal, and of course the highlights, and Arsenal played great.. I am hoping arsenal won't fall back alot if Henry leaves, he is the most important player in the team, and with Bergkamp definatly quitting after this season, he can't be used now and then either anymore, so the pressure comes more on v. Persie and Reyes, tho Wenger is good at scouting the right people, so you never know what new talents he'll come up with again.

Dabram
03-30-2006, 06:52 AM
i doubt that. isn't henry leaving a rumour every season?

Galleleo
03-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Yea but it seems to be confirmed by insiders..

I mean Studio Sport isn't quick to let out rumours without some confirmation.

PolluX
03-30-2006, 07:21 AM
gtfo our television, dutchmen!!! :P

genocidal
03-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Who played them and who won?

Pressure Drop
03-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Word on the street is Henry is going to Barcelona next season, that will be Ronaldinho + Henry in 1 team.

I didn't see the whole match, because they aired Barcelona vs. Benfica live here, but I saw bits on the Belgium channel were they aired Arsenal, and of course the highlights, and Arsenal played great.. I am hoping arsenal won't fall back alot if Henry leaves, he is the most important player in the team, and with Bergkamp definatly quitting after this season, he can't be used now and then either anymore, so the pressure comes more on v. Persie and Reyes, tho Wenger is good at scouting the right people, so you never know what new talents he'll come up with again.

They splashed alot of cash on Theo Walcott , 5 million but can go up to 12.5 million. Maybe he is the long term replacement for Henry?

Mind you i remember Wenger spending about 10 million on Jeffers :o

Mantra-Slider
03-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Who played them and who won?

I guess you didnt read the first post in this thread

Mantra-Slider
03-30-2006, 08:49 AM
your right mr. drop but thats pretty much the worst signing he has ever done. ;)

NaiLed
03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
mantra i hate you

Nickname
03-30-2006, 09:29 AM
just for respect for my man mantra-slider

ARSENAL! ARSENAL!

Dabram
03-30-2006, 09:57 AM
walcott is a pacey winger, not a replacement of henry. you can't replace a legend.. not even by getting jeffers
(from now on when i write in italic i'm being sarcastic)

Nockm
03-30-2006, 10:54 AM
wasn't that how henry started?

ZeUs!!
03-30-2006, 11:32 AM
I was going to go round Nick's and watch the game but Pro Evo 3 happened and by kick off I still hadn't packed for tomorrow. When I read the match report I invited everyone to kick me. There's no real controversy around the match, Arsenal outplayed Juventus, that's a fact and there's nothing to offer your opinion on so any arguments following the match will eventually lead off course onto a football statistical dick sizing competition.

The one thing I do have to say is that I don't agree with Wenger's policy on signing only potential. Yes it works and it pays off, but he's so narrow minded in signing only young players that he neglects the current state of the team. When Arsenal needed a new defender he bought Toure and Senderos, and yes it works now but it was a bit shaky at the time. When Bergkamp looked to be retiring (for the 5th season in a row) he bought Reyes, admittedly more of a finished article than the rest but still unproven at the very top. Also the fact that he's always signing for the future means when his original players mature (Henry), he's still in the process of teambuilding, and he will always be. They need to follow the Man Yoo philosophy of gaining a whole team, keeping hold of them until they all die then re-building another one. However as we all know that hasn't gone to plan second time around as when Fergie started his wholesale changes around the time of Beckham's departure, he quickly found his new team was turgid (Eric Djemba-Djemba, Roy Carroll, etc)

Galleleo
03-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Wenger is good in recognizing talent mostly, but agreed, he needs to buy more "older" players too. Teams don't run on talent alone, you need expierence in the mix.

I like the way AC Milan does it, if you just look at the team and how little it changes each season. People seem to never leave Milan, you have Costacurta and Maldini, both being signed to AC Milan for over 20 years, Costacurta, turning 40 soon, going on for another year. Maldini also late 30's still playing. Cafu still running up and down the field all match long and he is around 35? Chevchenko begin 30 still being one of the best strikers in the world, seedof, rui costa, pirlo, gatusso, etc.. And then each year they sign a couple of new ones, which start outside the team, slowly being brought in the team. They way Ac Milan manages it's team is of pure class.

genocidal
03-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I figured "Juve" was a shortening of the actual name.

EDIT: After reading Zeus's post I realize that it was, in fact, a shortened term. I'm not Euro so don't get smart when I ask questions just as I wouldn't if you'd ask what LSU, UCLA, etc. are. At least I show interest in your inferior sports.

ZeUs!!
03-30-2006, 02:16 PM
The Milan way of hording players until they collapse into a weezing mess in the centre circle aged 67 isn't really a Milan way, its the normal way, their players just happen to get shit at a later stage in their career. They don't set out to purposely play people as old as they possibly can. They just happen to still be good.

I should imagine the Man Yoo approach would be more risky, as if it doesn't work then you're completely without a team. However if it does work these players are going to be with each other for their whole career and still be world class, so they'll non-sexually know each other inside out. The Milan approach isn't really a Milan approach, its the normal way of dealing in the transfer market. As soon as you find out somoene's crap you replace them. Its fairly low risk as if you end up with a shitty player you only have one position to fill, but you don't have that telepathic bond that you get with players who have been playing years.

You still said Chevchenko though

NaiLed
03-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I was going to go round Nick's and watch the game but Pro Evo 3 happened

jeez get with the times

ZeUs!!
03-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Student loan

Galleleo
03-30-2006, 07:05 PM
I never seem to be able to spell that dude's name right.

Mwah, I think Milan does have a way, firstly they have a way in that no one ever seems to want to leave the club once they joined it, I don't know of any other team that has 2 players signed on for 20+ consecutive years (costacurta being loaned out 1 year ok). And second they hardly have any need to buy new players, because Ancellotti could almost completely substitute the current starting 11 and still have a worldclass team on his hands. So if 1 or 2 fall out right now, he still has 5 to back that up. And, starting playerswise, Milan almost never loses more then 2 players max per season (leaving the club).

There might be more teams that have this kind of way (I could see Barcelona doing it but I am not that up to date with their transfer policies). But, most my knowledge comes from Dutch teams, and for Dutch teams it's hard to keep good players, if you play for Milan, Barca, Arsenal, whatever, you are playing for a top team, so if a different top team comes along you don't have the urge to leave for that team as much as you would when you play for Ajax or PSV or Feyenoord and Milan, Arsenal, Barca comes along. So as far as I know Milan is one of the few teams with a very solid transfer policy, but I could be wrong on this point.

ZeUs!!
03-31-2006, 05:33 AM
First you try and tell me that Milan's policy is to purposely play really old players and now your telling me that the 'Milan strategy' of having a lot of good players in their squad is unique and they should take the credit for it. This is the main reason I didn't want a sports forum here.

"Milan almost never loses more then 2 players max per season". What you're saying is that they're careful in the transfer market so they don't need to sell many players as most are a success. Does this mean that every other club buys players who they don't think will be a success? Its how acquiring players work, they buy people who they think are good. Or are you praising them for not having a high rotation of players? So they hang on to as many players as they possibly can even when everyone except the regular 14 or so players don't make the grade? Give me strength. "Milan are one of the few clubs with a solid transfer policy". And the other clubs go wobbly at the knees when presented with a transfer budget and blow it on the nearest moving object? What you're saying is that Milan are successful, and this isn't down to having an exceptional transfer policy, its that decent players want to come to winning clubs, so they have more clout

Fire Blade
03-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Of course top players rather want to play for Real Madrid, AC Milan or manchester United, and it got nothing to do with wanting to play for a top club and succes.

All they want is earn as much money as possible in the 17/18 years they play. Sometimes old players like Cruijff, Winter and Rijkaard join their old club because they have earned enough and want to retire for the club that made them famous and where they started.

Galleleo
03-31-2006, 10:40 AM
The fact that milan plays alot of old players is because milan seems to be able to keep players bound to there club, lots of teams you have players wanting to leave after 3 to 6 years playing for it, with Milan you see it less.

You're probably just giving a diff. definition to my whole post then I am intending to give off.. nvm it.