War with Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War with Iran

The Bush administration is planning for a major air attack on Iran, according to an article published on the New Yorker magazine website Saturday.

According to the article by Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Semour Hersh, U.S. undercover troops are in Iran collecting data and working to establish contacts with anti-government groups, and the Air Force is drawing up lists of targets, despite publicly advocating diplomacy in order to stop Iran from pursuing nuclear weapons.

According to the report, the U.S. military and the international community believes that President Bush's ultimate goal in the nuclear confrontation with Iran is regime change. The article quote a former senior intelligence official as saying that Bush and others in the White House view Iran's president as a potential Adolf Hitler, after Ahmadinejad challenged the reality of the Holocaust and said that Israel must be "wiped off the map."

The article goes on to say that one of the option plans presented to the White House by the Pentagon calls for the use of a bunker-buster tactical nuclear weapon against underground nuclear sites such as the Natanz centrifuge plant.

IAEA inspectors arrive in Iran to visit nuclear facilities

Five inspectors from the UN nuclear watchdog agency have arrived in Tehran to visit Iran's uranium enrichment and reprocessing facilities, state-run television reported Saturday.

Iran's deputy nuclear chief Mohammad Saeedi said the inspectors would visit the Natanz uranium enrichment plant and the Isfahan Uranium Conversion Facility, both in central Iran, later Saturday.

The scheduled inspection comes just head of a key visit to Iran by Mohammed ElBaradei, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency. ElBaradei is expected to visit Iran next week to try to wrest concessions from Tehran on its atomic program, diplomats and officials said Friday.

The official Islamic Republic News Agency said the IAEA chief might arrive in Iran as early as Sunday or Monday.

The five inspectors, who arrived in Tehran Friday, will stay in Iran for five days, state-run television reported.
    http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/703745.html

The release of such information is interesting... so much for things being kept 'secret' when it comes to attacking the enemy

The New Yorker article by Semour Hersh can be found here:
    http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?050124fa_fact

Iranian officials have once again announced that the international community cannot dictate what Tehran does regarding ongoing nuclear enrichment efforts. Officials added that America and the West are “badly mistaken” if they believe the UN Security Council can compel Iran to comply with its demands.

According to a Washington Post report, despite American intelligence community reports that Tehran is about a decade away from building an atom bomb, Israel has recently sent warnings to the White House that the “point of no return” is very rapidly approaching, only months away, calling for American intervention.
    http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=101742
    Last edited by Jonesy; 04-10-2006, 03:04 AM.

One of the biggest things that currently stands out to me as a warning sign is current President of Iran. The Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wants to usher a Muslim 12th Imam(not sure exactly what the Imam really is, I think that its their version of a messiah) and the way to do so is through chaos and destruction, espescially that of Israels. Right now Iran has the U.N. and other countries like the U.S. down its neck because of its nuclear programs. Iran won't back down and all talks have failed as of now. I have no doubt that a war will start soon between Israel and Iran--either country could initiate it. This would drag in multiple outside countries. If Israel/Iran doesn't initiate it, it is very possible that the U.S. will because of fear of the Iran nuclear program. If there is a large war that involves Israel, it may not be of the end times... but I find it hard to believe that. Especially with Russia being extremely friendly with Iran lately, it could very well be equivalent to the Gog/Magog war of Ezekiel 38 and 39 of the Bible.

Below are some quotes from a few news articles from the Iranian President. YOU MUST READ THESE QUOTES... THIS PRESIDENT OF IRAN IS INSANE... hes gonna try to bring the 3rd World War upon us... I know it.. all u have to do is read what he says to understand that

"The establishment of the Zionist regime was a move by the world oppressor against the Islamic world," the president told a conference in Tehran on Wednesday, entitled The World without Zionism.

"The skirmishes in the occupied land are part of a war of destiny. The outcome of hundreds of years of war will be defined in Palestinian land," he said.

"As the Imam said, Israel must be wiped off the map," said Ahmadinejad, referring to Iran's revolutionary leader Ayat Allah Khomeini.
    Full article found here: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...CE0E9957EA.htm

"Our revolution's main mission is to pave the way for the reappearance of the 12th Imam, the Mahdi," Ahmadinejad said in the speech to Friday Prayers leaders from across the country...

Founded in 1953 and used by the Shah of Iran to try to eradicate followers of the Bahai faith, the Hojjatieh Society is governed by the conviction that the 12th Imam's return will be hastened by the creation of chaos on earth
    Full article found here: http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/009044.php

Another interesting article pretty much on the same topic as the other two found here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10313618/site/newsweek/

Comment

oh dear. whats the world coming to

Comment

Well this should be fun.
        :wub: GammaHydroxyButyrate :wub:

Comment

What's with everybody's obsession with Iran? Or any other country that wants to develop nuclear power for that matter?

Fuck, just let them and get a life. We don't need more innocent civilians going to a useless war and dying for a useless cause.
          Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
          -Buddha

Comment

We can afford the process of diplomacy, in the timeframe that we are faced with.

Even in the most fluid of scenarios, it would take five years for Iran to produce a home-made nuke. This administration is acting as if nuclear weapons could rain down on us, tomorrow, unless we carpet-bomb them, tonight.

This could be solved by a tad of sane thinking- but no- Bush, after all, was elected president by God, and he sees an opportunity to take a huge, worldwide crap on humanity that will mark him for the ages.

Did I mention how I cannot stand Georgie lately? Now we find he was the source of the CIA leak!

There's little I can say, how many impeachable offenses does this guy have to commit, before this worthless idiot is flushed down the toilet of history?

Now- the only defense that anyone's been able to dredge up is the old Nixon defense- "If the president does it, it isn't a crime."

Here's what gets me- in times past, there were a thousand times when Bush went before the cameras, and said "gee- I want to find out who leaked this information- we have an investigation underway, this is an egregious crime, and we'll find out what's at the bottom of this- I welcome this investigation." All of those times, he was looking right into our faces, and KNOWINGLY LYING to the press, and the american people.

How pathetic. How juvenile. Criticizing this administration is starting to feel like bitch-slapping an incontinent, retarded six-year-old (but with far, FAR less guilt.)
            May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

The problem isn't developing nuclear power, the problem is that the same process for developing fuel for nuclear reactors is similar to that for developing weapons. Hence everyone getting their panties in a bunch.

The mutual distrust is the problem, and there's no convincing either side that the other is telling the truth. Bush can be characterized as a liar, so it's hard for people to swallow when he says things like "this isn't a war against Islam." On the other hand, the Iranian president has blatantly called for the destruction of Israel and wouldn't bat an eye at killing an "infidel" or two (million), so it's understandable that people don't totally buy into the whole "we're just enriching uranium for electricity" argument.

So "just let them and get a life" isn't an acceptable answer. Hell, it's not really an answer at all.

EDIT: This was a reply to Hakkaku... evidently 404 beat me to the punch.
              Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

N. Korea pre-emptive attack on the U.S.

Looks like North Korea wants to get into the mix.
                From correspondents in Seoul

April 09, 2006

NORTH Korea's defence chief has warned that Pyongyang could also launch a pre-emptive attack against the United States, with state media saying soldiers were ready to be "human bombs."

"A pre-emptive attack is not (the) monopoly of the US, and North Korea will never sit idle till it is exposed to a preemptive attack of the US," Defense Minister Kim Il-Chol said, according to the official Korean Central News Agency.

"The US is now talking about the six-party talks but in fact, it is zealously inciting hostility toward North Korea while floating all sorts of sheer fictions, utterly indifferent to the talks," he said.
                He issued the warning at a meeting yesterday to mark the 13th anniversary of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il's reign as chairman of the country's powerful National Defence Commission.

Kim Il-Chol accused Washington of "watching for every chance to attack Pyongyang after listing it as a target of pre-emptive attack.
                "It is the traditional combat method of North Korea to directly counter the pressure and threat of aggression from the enemies, without yielding to them," he said.
                http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-38196,00.html

edit: This isn't really the same topic, but I didn't want to start another thread. I figured that I wouldn't polute the entire board with this depressing war shit.
                Last edited by Jonesy; 04-10-2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Atleast everyone in Finland knew that Iran was next after Iraq, Bush only
                  needs good enough reasons for it.
                  Ara / AraGee / Death
                  SSCU Trench Wars Player since 1999
                  SSCU Trench Wars Staff since 2001
                  TWDL, TWL-B, TWL-D, TWL-J, TWDT-J Champion
                  ----------------------------------------------

Comment

Since when has Bush used good enough reasons for anything?
                    The song doesn't make your hands clap,
                    The hand claps make the song

Comment

Originally posted by Hakaku
                      What's with everybody's obsession with Iran? Or any other country that wants to develop nuclear power for that matter?

Fuck, just let them and get a life. We don't need more innocent civilians going to a useless war and dying for a useless cause.
                      Totally. What harm could possibly come from letting Nuclear plants go completely unregulated by the U.N? Let's all relax, it's just bombs that could destroy entire countries.
                      -----

On the subject of the UN, it needs to step up here. I'm not a seething jingoist that has a "blow them up before they blow us up" kind of mentality, but this tension needs to be reduced. Agreements on nuclear arms development need to be reached. Distrust and misunderstanding will only lead to trouble- The Cold War, anyone?
                      help: (qg) (javs): i think my isp is stealing internet from me.

What's the difference between chopping an onion and chopping a baby? I cry when I chop onions. Type ?go Jav -Chao <ER>
                      MegamanEXE> Chao
                      MegamanEXE> I came from watching Hockey to say this
                      (Sefarius)> ....
                      (Hate The Fake)> LOL
                      MegamanEXE> You are sick
                      MegamanEXE> Good day

Comment

If the US does attack Iran over this, I think it will have finally isolated itself from the rest of the world, and for a long time. I'm not really sure whether that would be a good thing or not, but a lot of me says, yeah whatever, fuck 'em.

I can't see any british support continuing if bush decides to bomb Iran, I certainly hope it doesn't. I remember the cold war and it wasn't much fun but at least then you knew both sides had a bit of common sense. I don't see any sense coming out of the US at the moment. Some people may laugh this off but i'm afraid this is going to come back and hit you BIG TIME.

Comment

US just wants to clear every1 that defies it. Iran having nuclear weapons, bah thats not the reason. ITs becuz Iran is going against American wills. U watch, after iran they're gonna deal with China dispute over Taiwan

Comment

I guarantee you that the US will stay away from the Taiwan issue until we must absolutely react to something.

Comment

I like Paul Krugman's analysis in his Op-Ed piece in the New York Times yesterday about how Bush might use an attack in Iran as just the thing to shore up approval ratings so that the Republicans win the mid-term elections. No, not because he really cares that much about the Republicans exactly, but if the Democrats get majorities, then they might have enough to actually impeach George W. and that would be bad for him.

BTW, Imam is basically the Islamic version of 'priest'.

Also, everyone knows that the President of Iran just talks a lot of crap. He says it because he can get away with it and it scores points at home. Just as Bush talks about an axis of evil when it was blatently stupid, this guy can get away with calling to wipe Israel off the map because it shores up domestic support.
                              Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                              www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                              www.animeslice.com

Comment

Working...
                              X