PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Maple Leafs.

Adman
04-15-2006, 01:23 PM
With the looming dissappointment that's just around the corner. What do you think was the worst thing that happened this year for our beloved blue and white???

-signing old guys who hadn't played or had dismal seasons? O'Neil, Allison, Lindros?
-not getting any defence?
-Belfour having a subpar season?
-getting destroyed by ottawa 7 times (8th possibly tonight)
-or not making the playoffs because of all the reasons?

add more, because i'm sure there's a hell of lot more reasons...

Royst
04-15-2006, 01:40 PM
A lot of bad things happened, but to be honest, us not making the playoffs could be the best thing to happen to us. If we do make the playoffs (which i doubt) Management would just think we are fine and will keep signing old vets that would lead us to a playoff spot and nowhere else. Now, i hope we go with a youth movement. It's more fun to watch a young team not make the playoffs than an old team that makes the playoffs and somehow disappoint us.

Anyways, worst thing to happen? I don't know, I felt this season was already a bust before the year began. The lockout just screwed our situation up too much

Troll King
04-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Having to read what Volcs has to say about them. :)

Honestly, the team got screwed over by the lockout and the new CBA, and it's John Ferguson Jr. who is to blame for not planning ahead to what the new NHL would turn out to be. He did not have to sign Belfour when he did; even if they expected a better year out of him, if they had only waited until the lockout ended, they could have signed him to a smaller contract. Even after the CBA was ratified and the new rules were enacted, Ferguson went after other players who would have done better under the old rules.

I wouldn't say that the Leafs season was unexpected; they are exactly where everyone thought they would be. Everyone but the team predicted a struggle to make the playoffs. If I were GM, I would have written the season off right after the strike ended because I knew the team wouldn't be a contender. I'd have planned the short off-season around rebuilding, which would have meant not signing Allison and/or Lindros. Signing both of them forced Stajan to the wing and that hurt his development.

I think Ferguson should be fired after the season for his lack of foresight. He has improved the scouting department, but he read the new NHL poorly. The team needs a more experienced GM. I wouldn't fire Pat Quinn outright though. The team did just as well as the roster was supposed to do on paper, and I don't think a different coach would have done better. His greatest fault this season was not getting his team to overachieve. I'd rather shift him into a front office role and he can still help the team in that capacity. If they didn't have Paul Maurice with the Marlies, I might not even take Quinn off the bench. If the Leafs do pull the plug on Quinn, their first choice for a replacement should be Maurice.

Volcs
04-15-2006, 06:59 PM
This is the only time where *giggle!* will EVER be acceptable IMO :D

Izor
04-15-2006, 08:57 PM
ottawas gonna lose too

Jeenyuss
04-16-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm pretty sure they'll make tha playoffs but get swept first round :D

Darkmoor
04-16-2006, 04:45 AM
Leafs won 5-1 against the Senators. But since Tamba Bay also won their match, the Leafs lost their last chance at playoffs (would lose the tie-breaker). Oh well... there is always a new season ahead.

Volcs
04-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Psst... you forgot to mention that the sens beat you the other 7 games we played, at that you were playing half of the fucking Binghamton team.
GG regardless.

Tyson
04-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Be happy that we are not in the playoffs otherwise it would be the same old spanking again biatch!!
Look at your city, 60% of its population are Leafs supporters. The other 40 are native indians!! :grin:

Hero*
04-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Leafs suck and Ottawa is overrated. They have no real depth and it will prove to be a weak point this season.

Volcs
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Leafs suck and Ottawa is overrated. They have no real depth and it will prove to be a weak point this season.
Overrated? How so?
The only weak link we have at the point is goaltending, even our rookies are valuable. Look at Meszaros for fucks sake.
Unless you can back a comment like that up, don't bother posting it.
We went through regular season with an insane amount of injuries and our AHL players stepped up huge, that's why we were qualified for playoffs a few weeks ago. That isn't overrated.

Adman
04-17-2006, 04:04 PM
what i think he meant to say was, Ottawa is good, but i still don't think they will win the cup.

But i say, Ottawa has 2 really good lines, an awesome power play if it's clicking, a dangerous penalty kill, a solid goaltender if hasek comes back, and a semi decent one is he's not, and a great team chemistry.

Love them or hate them, you can't deny ottawa is a good team.

I win.

Volcs
04-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Without Hasek I'm not getting my cup hopes up.
Then again, we made it to game 7 round 3 with Lalime... you never know what could happen.

Adman
04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
The guys on Ottawa seem to have confidence in Emery, so we'll see how that goes.

Volcs
04-17-2006, 09:15 PM
...have to.

Emery's confidence is fucking brittle as hell. Eggshells and shit.

Hero*
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
what adman said was what i meant. Although they have all the right tools they don't have the right work ethic. From what I have seen they rely too much on their skill and not their ability to work hard in the corners. if they had chris draper and kirk maltby, Id hand you the cup now. But since that isn't the case. I will hand it to a Western Conference team.