Backup your stuff NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup your stuff NOW!

Anyone have any interesting computer crash stories?

My brother's laptop HD crashed spectacularly and it's likely nothing will be recovered from it. Sending a HD out for recovery costs $1000-2000, BTW. And since more and more people are moving to laptops, HD crashes are going to be more common.

I just bought a 250G drive and external enclosure and backed up my home directory.

Don't forget all the digital pics you've taken. If you use iTunes, back up the .itl and .xml library files. I spend a LOT of time creating playlists, rating songs, etc. If you do too, back it up or you'll be kicking yourself.

i've been meaning to get an external hard drives, but a big one is, what, £90?

Comment

Originally posted by geekbot
      I spend a LOT of time creating playlists, rating songs, etc.

How much do you get paid?
      Ну вот...

Comment

The other day i got bored with this runescape so i decided to download a "macro" for it which does killing for u so u dont have to sit hours killing stuff to raise levels. Later i figure out its a hack onto my computer and the mouse starts moving on its own. Its good i pulled the plug before it really screwed it up. Only took like 3 hours to clean it. Yea, that was dumb
        Rigor> mastersword im thinking u, me and a bottle of crisco baby
        Mastersword> ROFL
        Mastersword> really?

(TWDBot)>Your squad rating has just changed from 813 to 813, after losing the Javelin match vs dicE. You are #34 in TWJD - For detailed info go to

#21 - Don't forget

Comment

Don't they make recovery software for that?

Comment

Originally posted by geekbot
            Don't forget all the digital pics you've taken. If you use iTunes, back up the .itl and .xml library files. I spend a LOT of time creating playlists, rating songs, etc. If you do too, back it up or you'll be kicking yourself.
            ITUNES... PSHT! Winamp ftw.. or windows media player on occasion. I tried backing up my hard drive once. But it would back-up onto my C drive, and it was way bigger than any DVD could fit.

So what is the purpose of backing up if the backup file is on the hard disk anyway??
            thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Originally posted by Edify
              ITUNES... PSHT! Winamp ftw.. or windows media player on occasion. I tried backing up my hard drive once. But it would back-up onto my C drive, and it was way bigger than any DVD could fit.

So what is the purpose of backing up if the backup file is on the hard disk anyway??
              It's called an external hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient
                It's called an external hard drive.
                I'm sorry, I'm not rich enough to own an external hard drive.
                thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Geekbot said he was using a HD enclosure. That's a sort of kit you can get for about $30 that will turn internal hard drives into external ones. The total cost of the drive and enclosure is cheaper than an external drive of the same capacity.

Comment

Every time I turn on my laptop I get a message saying HARD DRIVE FAILURE IMMINENT, BACK UP ALL YOUR WORK NOW, PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE
                    Originally posted by Facetious
                    edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                      i've been meaning to get an external hard drives, but a big one is, what, £90?
                      Yep I got a 250 gig one, had to format it once already coz it got corrupted, i think coz i didnt realise i had to safely remove it every time... which is a slight problem if u dont have 250 gig hd in ur pc coz u cant save all ur shit. Its very easy to use tho, always better than having no backup i suppose. It's worth paying more for a better one though, mine's made by buffallo, i wouldnt buy from them again. Try Lacie perhaps.

Comment

I had an 80GB Maxtor harddrive with only music on it (luckily) that crashed on me like a few days after it was out of warranty. So that pretty much sucked :P
                        but yeah never buy maxtor they tend to crash a lot :P
                        Izor> euros have hot accents but you still talk funny :P
                        Izor> and youre a stupid nebwie
                        AngelGirl> I know <3
                        AngelGirl> but you still <3 me
                        Izor> ROFL

pee pee so> ur name make no cents kid, pick a knew one wow ur stoopid
                        pee pee socK> im top 10 wb in tw

(paradise)>hey deluge said he wants to have kids with u

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                          Every time I turn on my laptop I get a message saying HARD DRIVE FAILURE IMMINENT, BACK UP ALL YOUR WORK NOW, PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE
                          Yeah, I went and downloaded an HD update from Compaq.com a few days ago. And my CPU says that everytime it starts, one day it just wouldn't load Windows. Had to reformat, called compaq and they sent me a Free 200GB HD which came in yesterday. Haven't installed it yet, cpu still works though with the msg.

Comment

Fuck I've got a Compaq too, I might see if I can crowbar some freebies out of them
                            Originally posted by Facetious
                            edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by returnoftheapt
                              Yeah, I went and downloaded an HD update from Compaq.com a few days ago. And my CPU says that everytime it starts, one day it just wouldn't load Windows. Had to reformat, called compaq and they sent me a Free 200GB HD which came in yesterday. Haven't installed it yet, cpu still works though with the msg.
                              That message is caused by S.M.A.R.T. it just means your harddisk might fail any second and that you should replace it. (S.M.A.R.T. is just some monitoring system)
                              Izor> euros have hot accents but you still talk funny :P
                              Izor> and youre a stupid nebwie
                              AngelGirl> I know <3
                              AngelGirl> but you still <3 me
                              Izor> ROFL

pee pee so> ur name make no cents kid, pick a knew one wow ur stoopid
                              pee pee socK> im top 10 wb in tw

(paradise)>hey deluge said he wants to have kids with u

Comment

Working...
                              X