PDA

View Full Version : NHL playoffs: Bad goaltending

Fit of Rage
05-08-2006, 12:45 AM
What's up with some of these rediculously high scores, for example Sabres/Sens 7-6 the other night? Doesn't 7, 6, 5 even 4 goals seem high for a playoff game? You would think a normal score might be 2-0, 2-1, 3-0, 3-2 or even 4-3 or something.

Troll King
05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
One factor that people were concerned about heading into the playoffs was the inexperienced goaltending. An unusually large number of teams are using goalies who have never played a playoff game in their careers. Many teams aren't even using the number one goalie they had in the regular season. Cam Ward is playing for Carolina, Ilya Bryzgalov is in for Anaheim and Vesa Toskala is starting for San Jose, not to mention Ray Emery for Ottawa. That being said however, a lot of those young goaltenders are playing incredibly well. Bryzgalov hasn't given up a goal in three games. Emery and Miller in Buffalo both had a horrible game one this round, but other than that, the rookies have been doing fine. Those in Philadelphia or Nashville however, will still be able to rely on that excuse.

The only two goalies that are still starting and have playoff experience are Marty Brodeur of New Jersey and Jose Theodore of Colorado. But even there, Theodore has been shaky, and Brodeur got shelled 6-0 in his last game. In the first round, Tampa and Dallas both had veteran goalies with a history of choking in the playoffs, and it's clear that history hasn't changed.

Instead, it must be the new rules. Referees are not putting their whistles away in the third period like they did in previous playoffs. There's also no coincidence that a lot of the teams remaining are recognized for being among the speediest clubs in the NHL. Speed now seems to be a premium.

Nickname
05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
as does patience and restraint. Dumb penalties cost a lot these days.

Hungery
05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Bad Bad Bad

Kim
05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
I also like Bryzgalov, he's a hell of lot more dependable than big ol' Giguere, who's had one good season and isn't quite hyped up to what people think he is capable of. Same goes for Josť Theodore. Horrible. Probably the main reason why Avalanche stands no chance against Anaheim.

404 Not Found
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
The only two goalies that are still starting and have playoff experience are Marty Brodeur of New Jersey and Jose Theodore of Colorado. But even there, Theodore has been shaky, and Brodeur got shelled 6-0 in his last game.

Not bad for Brodeur after a 15 game winning streak. I say if your gonna lose, just do it and get it over with so the so called "Streak" does not play a mental factor.

I obviously want the Devils to win. I would not even consider the 6-0 loss a factor .....yet.

Pat B
05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I also like Bryzgalov, he's a hell of lot more dependable than big ol' Giguere, who's had one good season and isn't quite hyped up to what people think he is capable of. Same goes for Josť Theodore. Horrible. Probably the main reason why Avalanche stands no chance against Anaheim.

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO THINKS LIKE I DO!!!

Hero*
05-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Devils aren't going to win a game against Carolina because they suck. Eventually you're going to have to put in a new goalie and there isnt a better way then to do it right now. Theres only been a few high scoring games and I don't expect many more.

Cops
05-09-2006, 07:38 PM
i want the ducks or the sens to win the cup. I agree with Troll King there is so many fresh talent in the NHL it is incredible. I'm loving the high scores and the drop in their pay rate.