PDA

View Full Version : Length of Seasonal Play & Post Season

404 Not Found
06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Is it me or is the season for NHL & the NBA just too long?

Now that it's June, I am amazed atthe length of these two sports and the post season.

Too many regular season games as well as too many teams. Perhaps they should narrow down how many teams actually make the playoff's and limit the games in the playoffs to get the season over with?

I can only imagine the lost revenues that come from lack of viewers tuning in at this point.

What's worse is that I have read that they are looking to expand both the NBA & NHL with more teams. Perhaps we can make it a year round sport? No need to ever end a season.

I have completely tuned out the NBA and NHL games since the beginning of June. With the World Cup, Baseball and NFL Training Camps starting, my attention to the NBA and NHL have ended.

Anyone else feel that these seasons are just to long and drawn out?

genocidal
06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I only pay attention to NBA in the postseason. Fuck hockey, it's for Canucks that are too pussy to play football (hi Hero). So pretty much, I could care less. I think they should make all the games but maybe the finals less than a 7 game series; those get way too drawn out. Even baseball does 5 game series.

Troll King
06-06-2006, 04:50 PM
It's not the playoffs that are too long but the seasons that are too long. The playoffs are the best part of both the NBA and the NHL. I don't know the figures for the NBA, but in the NHL, a playoff game is worth about a million dollars in profit. At this point, they're not worried about lost revenue in the playoffs from people tuning out. There is no lost revenue. That revenue has already been earned in the TV contracts. Don't forget that this year, the NHL season was prolonged by two weeks for the Olympics. Without the Olympic break, the Stanley Cup playoffs would already be finished.

The Stanley Cup playoffs is known as the hardest tournament in professional sports to win. It is more of a Canadian thing, but it's the opposite of the way Genocidal put it. Most Americans just don't fully appreciate how tough it is.

genocidal
06-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I was just messing around when I said that but how do you figure that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the hardest to win? I don't know how you could compare relative difficulty of tournaments but I'd probably say the NFL is the hardest based on the fact that the NFL is way more organized as far as budgets than say the MLB where teams like the Yankees are virtually guaranteed a playoff spot every season because they can buy up all the good players.

Troll King
06-06-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm not talking about the hardest to qualify for or the hardest competition, I'm talking terms of the grueling physical toll it takes out of the competitors. This is a time of year where hockey players are literally diving face-first in front of rubber projectiles travelling about 100 miles per hour. NHL history is full of players playing through tough injuries. From Ryan Smyth returning to the ice against San Jose after collecting his teeth and playing a regular shift through three overtimes to Bobby Baun breaking his ankle in game 6 of the 1964 finals yet coming back to score the game winning overtime goal as well as playing in game 7.

You don't so much as win the Stanley Cup playoffs; you survive them.

Putting aside the fact you need 16 wins to get the Stanley Cup, but only 4 (3 if you have a bye) for the Super Bowl, action in hockey comes at a more taxing pace. Sure, a regulation game is 60 minutes for both sports, but in football, a lot of that time isn't actually spent on play. The action comes in short bursts of less than 10 seconds each, followed by much longer breaks in the action. In hockey, however, you usually play 60 second shifts before getting off the ice, and that's 60 full seconds of action.

gran guerrero
06-06-2006, 08:30 PM
i dont know much for hockey cause i dont pay much attention to it, but i can give you nba's reason.

the nba is not a full contact sport like the nfl, thats why nfl teams only have to play 16 games (more if they added another team). because of all the abuse they have to take while playing the game. the nba on the other hand is a conditioning sport, it tests the conditioning of each player thats why they last long. if you cant go 64 games and practise then your not fit for the nba. and the nba has to play every team in each conference (30 teams) while playing teams in your own conference (5 teams to a conference) like 3-5 times (i cant remember), to determine playoff seeds. so they dont have time to study game play for a week like the nfl teams (32 teams) because they will only play only like maybe half that amount.

Facetious
06-11-2006, 03:46 PM
i start watching the nba about the time the playoff scenarios start being released, before that, ill watch the very end of a wizards game if its close but thats about it. the nhl has almost completely lost my attention this year, i used to like watching a close playoff game, but now ill watch maybe the last five minutes or a couple minutes of overtime IF theres something worse than "date my mom" on mtv. as far as the nba it has a lot to do with the length of the season but as far as the nhl it has nothing to do with the length of the season.

Hero*
06-13-2006, 04:27 PM
I only pay attention to NBA in the postseason. Fuck hockey, it's for Canucks that are too pussy to play football (hi Hero). So pretty much, I could care less. I think they should make all the games but maybe the finals less than a 7 game series; those get way too drawn out. Even baseball does 5 game series.

lol whatever man i wouldnt want to be slapping guys ass' all day or would i want to hold on to them like my teddy. I agree football is a rough sport but saying hockey isn't up there with football is just rediculous. To add to this thread..No the length nor the size of the teams should change in the NHL or the NFL. Look at MLB, they play 180 games? Give hockey players a break too. We work damn hard for those 30second shifts. If hockey were like baseball, im sure we could play 180 games too and make the season shorter by playing 2 games in one day.
And gen you say hockey is too much of a pussy sport but u go ahead and say you only pay attention to NBA lol.

Mantra-Slider
06-13-2006, 04:56 PM
I think nhl are so late this year cos of the olympics?

and troll king what about crazy sportevents like tour de france etc? I could swear thats just as "though" (probably alot thougher if you ask me) than the stanley cup..

Troll King
06-13-2006, 05:17 PM
It's not a tournament though.

Mantra-Slider
06-13-2006, 05:51 PM
well okey thats true

I also realised you already posted that nhl is still going cos of the olympics.
I suck :(

Royst
06-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I think you have to also realize the fact that the leagues are a multi-million (or billion) dollar businesses and the amount of games are needed to uphold their businesses. Its pretty bad that they have such a high demand for money, but thats what sports have become. Sure football is only 16 games per season, but i'm guessing its much more expensive to get a ticket for a football game, along with the fact every game holds about 50,000 - 60,000 people per game, while hockey or baseball really just hold a maximum of 20,000 people, and much less. You have to wonder why many hockey/baseball teams are still gaining a deficit with the amount of games and the revenue they generate from having 41 games at home.

Clump
06-13-2006, 06:45 PM
NBA is long but exciting, so it doesn't really matter

Subjugation
06-13-2006, 10:11 PM
I haven't paid much attention to NHL for a few years now, but I follow the NBA.

I am loving the NBA finals, mostly because I like the Mavs and I hate Shaq. But I'd probably watch the Finals regardless of who was playing.

404 Not Found
06-14-2006, 03:20 PM
I think you have to also realize the fact that the leagues are a multi-million (or billion) dollar businesses and the amount of games are needed to uphold their businesses. Its pretty bad that they have such a high demand for money, but thats what sports have become. Sure football is only 16 games per season, but i'm guessing its much more expensive to get a ticket for a football game, along with the fact every game holds about 50,000 - 60,000 people per game, while hockey or baseball really just hold a maximum of 20,000 people, and much less. You have to wonder why many hockey/baseball teams are still gaining a deficit with the amount of games and the revenue they generate from having 41 games at home.

Hockey Tickets are the most expensive tickets here in Philadelphia compared to our other teams. Last time the Flyers won the cup was 73-74....so go figure as to why they require a higher tiket price? personally I cannot stand the Flyers and could save 1/2 the tik price by seeing the Devils play at the Meadowlands, but of the people that attend the Flyers on a season basis, most are corporate owners who write off the tickets as a business expense.

The days of a family attending most pro sports is over and done with, as it would cost most families a almost a weeks income to take a family of 5 to a hockey game when you aslo add in the costs for parking and food....it's highway robbery.

One day there will be no crowd and games will be watched on a pay-preview basis with canned applauses and boo's.

Mantra-Slider
06-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I doubt that :)

genocidal
06-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Baseball games are still pretty cheap at the door ($10-$20 depending on area/club) and are fun as hell. I'm quite partial to NCAA play and I get season tickets to Gator football for $70 and season tickets to Gator basketball for free. :)