PDA

View Full Version : NBA FINALS: Miami Heat Vs. Dallas Mavericks

gran guerrero
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
The 2003-04 season was a turning point in NBA history. The End of the Laker Dynasty, the rise of the blue collar teams that is now preaching to win a championship you need strong defense and solid teamwork rather than having a superstar like Michael Jordan, proof being Detroit Pistons and San Antonio Spurs. The 04 and 05 NBA Champs! It was also a transition from the more dominant first seed home court advantage teams to the second seeders. The Detroit Pistons and The Los Angeles Lakers were both Number 2 Seeds in the NBA playoffs in the 03-04 Season, and the Detroit Pistons and San Antonio Spurs were also the Number 2 Seed in the NBA playoffs in the 04-05 Season. Second Seed from the East, and Second Seed from the West. This new tradition continues onto this season (2005-2006) with the 2nd Seeded Eastern Conference Champs, Miami Heat, and 2nd Seeded Western Conference Champs, Dallas Mavericks. Both making this their first trip to the NBA finals in Franchise History, both sponsored by American Airlines, Both with a quality bench and a Superstar. Their Defense isn't complimented on that only the Pistons and Spurs seem to get, but yet both the Mavs and the Heat shut down both these former Champs and they did it with STARPOWER! The Mavericks have a German Larry Byrd-like Beast in DIRK NOWITZKI and the Heat have Chicago product MJ-clone "Flash" in DWAYNE WADE! Both Players are dynamic in their area of game play. They both have support: Wade has his Big man Superman Diesal Powered Shaq! Dirk has his valuable versatile defender Josh Howard.

Both Heat and the Mavericks have great role players.

Dallas- Devin Harris, Jason Terry, DeSagana Diop
Miami- Jason Williams, Udonis Haslem, Antoine Walker
Both teams have a great bench to work with
Dallas- Jerry Stackhouse, Keith Van Horn, Eric Dampier, Adrien Griffen, and Marquise Daniels
Miami- Alonzo Mourning, James Posey, Gary Payton
Both have great Coaches
Miami-Wise, Experienced Pat Riley
Dallas-Coach of the Year Avery Johnson

Bench- While the Dallas Mavericks utilize there bench to a full extent, Miami only needs to use these key players to fill in when they are needed.

Centers- The Dallas Mavericks are ok defensively but are not great nor are they are scoring threats. They can be easily destroyed by Shaq.

Point Guard- Jason Williams is coming off a great game in the game clincher against the Detroit Pistons, but Devin Harris is coming off great series in the playoffs, and Dallas has gotton to know Jason Terry as their Mr. Clutch. Gary Payton will come on for defense and a little offensive spark while Adrien Griffen will play defense.

Shooting Guard - D. Wade is just unstoppable, the only team that seems to bother him is his hometown Chicago! and they are gone. No doubt pretty much everyone on the Dallas team will guard wade, mostly Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, and Josh Howard.

Small Forward - If Antoine Walker gets hot, hes hot...he defines the score being miami's third scorer. Josh Howard can score anytime but hes more valuable on defense, expect him to cover anyone thats a scoring threat, and miami can call on James Posey for defense.

Power Forward - There is no one like Dirk Nowitzki, He is a Matchup Nightmare, he Shoots threes, he's as tall as a center, and has great ball handling skills. Udonis Haslem played great defense on Rasheed Wallace in the Detroit Series, but Haslem is needed for rebounds which is hard if he has to cover Dirk from the 3 point range.

Coaches - Avery Johnson has played three different styles of gameplay in the playoffs so far, and he has adapted to it soo well. he is very intelligent and is not afraid of the spotlight being there himself when he use to play. Pat Riley seen it all before, this is a win or its over feeling down in miami. if Riley does not win, all his offseason moves will be all for naught.

Intangibles - Dallas has the Home Court Advantage. Shaq is hungry now and he wants a championship, and I only seen that same hunger on the dallas' owner Mark Cuban...

Dirk will cause problems for the Miami Heat, but Shaq will be just too much for the Mavericks' centers. Wade will come up big in the end in Jordan style finish.
Miami in 6

Toasty
06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
silly! :fear:

PH
06-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Mavericks in 6, Dirk for MVP.

Subjugation
06-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Great post, Gran.

I think the Mavs will probably win, though. They are playing much better than Detroit---and judging how they handled their series with the Suns, it seems that they are more mentally tough than they have been in previous years. And they will need mental toughness to beat Shaq, Wade and Riley.

The Mavs have the ability to control the tempo at a pace that will be very unsettling to Miami. Miami will need to maintain discipline in order to force this series into a bunch of half-court games---and that will be hard for them, because they have players like Payton, J.Will, Walker and Wade who like run. If they try and run with Dallas, they'll have no chance.

Miami will also need to maintain their composure, which at times, has been a question mark. Miami might want to believe all the pressure is on the Mavs, since they are NBA Finals rookies, but I think even more pressure is on Miami. they have players like Payton and Mourning, Walker---hell, even Shaq---who have a lot riding on winning a championship. Payton and Mourning are great players with great careers who've never won a ring...and they're both near the end of their careers. Walker has never won, and he's had the reputation of being one of the league's most overrated players. Shaq is near the end of his career, but mostly, he wants to win because it will prove to everyone that picking Kobe over him was the worst mistake LA has ever made (even though that's obviously not true). And Pat Riley...after the Van Gundy fiasco, Riley would shut up even the most skeptical critics about his decision to fire Stan, come out of coaching retirement and grab the reigns.

I admit my bias against Shaq and for Mark Cuban, so it should be no suprise that I hope the Mavs win.

Subjugation
06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Mavericks in 6, Dirk for MVP.

Dirk fo Mp3...Respek!

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9875/aligdeantaylor3mv.jpg

gran guerrero
06-08-2006, 04:37 PM
officially theres no proof that riley fired van gundy
van gundy stepped down and made a live announcement saying that he quit
miami is nba finals rookies too, only shaq and payton been there.
you forget how wade can take over a game, he can do it 75% of the time
shaq is just going to wear away dallas, wade is just going to finish them off that is all i got to say.

Royst
06-08-2006, 04:49 PM
I was thinking before the Mavs-suns series ended, that if the suns made it, their run and gun style against miami could really make Shaq useless, trying to run up and down the court. However, with the Mavs making it, I think they have the ability to push the ball and create a lot of 5v4 scenarios leading to easy baskets. I really think with Avery Johnson coaching he can exploit this scenario and really work to the Mav's advantage

Subjugation
06-08-2006, 05:02 PM
officially theres no proof that riley fired van gundy
van gundy stepped down and made a live announcement saying that he quit
miami is nba finals rookies too, only shaq and payton been there.
you forget how wade can take over a game, he can do it 75% of the time
shaq is just going to wear away dallas, wade is just going to finish them off that is all i got to say.

It's true, maybe he wasn't forced out. Maybe he quit because he was fed up, but if that's the case, I don't see why he would remain with the team. He was reported to have stayed on in a minimized position with the franchise. Either way, the point is the same---Riley will be shutting up those who criticized him for returning to coach the team.

And you're right about Wade being able to take over games. But against who? I honestly haven't seen enough Heat games this season to tell you. But if he tries to take over the game in a full-court pace, I think he'll be doing Dallas a favor. Besides, Dallas has much quicker players than Detroit did, so I think they have a chance at defending against him.

gran guerrero
06-08-2006, 05:06 PM
And you're right about Wade being able to take over games. But against who? I honestly haven't seen enough Heat games this season to tell you. But if he tries to take over the game in a full-court pace, I think he'll be doing Dallas a favor. Besides, Dallas has much quicker players than Detroit did, so I think they have a chance at defending against him.

if you have, then you would know what i mean...just wikipedia him.

Subjugation
06-08-2006, 05:16 PM
if you have, then you would know what i mean...just wikipedia him.

Lol, dude...I know who the guy is, I know he's one of the best guards in the league. Wikipedia isn't going to give me game footage against elite up-and-down teams like Dallas, Phoenix, and San Antonio---which is what I would need to see how he plays against the kinds of matchups he will face tonight.

But I'm glad we're having this conversation...I'm just chewing my fingernails in anticipation for this game to start in....2 hours and 53 min. I can't hardly fuckin wait.

gran guerrero
06-08-2006, 11:54 PM
did anyone notice that mark cuban didn't look happy at all throughout the whole game when the camera came onto his face

phata$$
06-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Mark Cuban scares me so I try not to notice him.

Pretty good game. I guess you overlooked Jason Terry as Dirk's support player. Besides that blown lay-up, Jason Terry just teared through Miami's D.

D. Wade had a good game as well but the Mavs cuffed him up just enough to get the win.

Not to mention that Nowitzki only scored 16 points and was 4-14 from the field.

As expected, Shaq got doubled. He passed a lot but he couldnt hit his free-throws. He didn't get enough passes to him and as a result scored 17 points with 8-11 from the field.

Terry got some good help with Stackhouse and Dampier from the bench.

For Game 2:
Miami
-Miami should feed Shaq more.
-Shaq should hit his FTS.
-Better production from Posey and Payton.
-Have J. Williams play better D.

Dallas
-Continue to utilize Terry.
-Harris and Diop step up.
-Make Wade go to his left more often.
-Double Shaq and make good fouls.

Jason
06-09-2006, 07:54 AM
four words

fuck you chauncey billups

that being said, it's time for the shaq diesel and deeeee wade show

Vykromond
06-09-2006, 11:04 AM
The Detroit Pistons and The Los Angeles Lakers were both Number 2 Seeds in the NBA playoffs in the 03-04 Season, and the Detroit Pistons and San Antonio Spurs were also the Number 2 Seed in the NBA playoffs in the 04-05 Season. Second Seed from the East, and Second Seed from the West. This new tradition continues onto this season (2005-2006) with the 2nd Seeded Eastern Conference Champs, Miami Heat, and 2nd Seeded Western Conference Champs, Dallas Mavericks. Both making this their first trip to the NBA finals in Franchise History, both sponsored by American Airlines, Both with a quality bench and a Superstar.

WOWOWOWOOWOWOWOW AMAZING!!!!1

phata$$
06-09-2006, 01:19 PM
American Airlines Arena vs. American Airlines Center

:P

Clump
06-09-2006, 11:25 PM
One thing- Fuck the Mavericks

They are n00bZ

Subjugation
06-11-2006, 04:32 AM
World Cup + NBA Finals = Me wishing I had a kilo of crystal meth so I could stay awake and catch every single fucking game out there. Not to mention all the tweaker girls that would want to do rails off my cock.

Divine Rides
06-11-2006, 05:40 PM
nice post.

i've been a big mavericks fan for quite a while, my dad played high school and collge ball with Don Nelson, who had been their coach for years until late last season- (he remained general manager, this year he's involved but not as heavily) and this is a real treat to see them finally make it, though i wish they'd made it with nelly at coach and with nash and finley still on board. never the less, this is great, josh howard is one of my new favorite players.

i think the mavs will take it. I love me some dwayne wade, and i have no major beef with most of the heat players but I just don't think they deserve it- A. they were shit all year, i had the league pass again this year and saw a disgusting amount of games, and none of the "big" teams played with less heart, character, and consistency than the heat. Plus they're like that laker team with the four hall of famers, just too much signed talent, feels like rooting for a purchased team B. Shaq got off too easy from the lakers debacle, he fucked that situation up too, he ended up on a much better team than kobe was left with, I don't mind if he gets it, I just don't want him to get it first.

Subjugation
06-11-2006, 10:42 PM
i think the mavs will take it. I love me some dwayne wade, and i have no major beef with most of the heat players but I just don't think they deserve it- A. they were shit all year, i had the league pass again this year and saw a disgusting amount of games, and none of the "big" teams played with less heart, character, and consistency than the heat. Plus they're like that laker team with the four hall of famers, just too much signed talent, feels like rooting for a purchased team B. Shaq got off too easy from the lakers debacle, he fucked that situation up too, he ended up on a much better team than kobe was left with, I don't mind if he gets it, I just don't want him to get it first.

All great points. But I guess it's easy for me to hate on Shaq---being from Sacramento, and all. It's such a guilty pleasure to see him choke over and over at the freethrow line.

As far as Antoine Walker goes, he's had a pretty decent post season this year. It seems he's either finally growing up, he's finally being used in the correct role, or probably a bit of both. I've long felt he was the worst kind of good player (aka: Chris Webber Syndrome), blessed with natural talent, poor attitude, undisciplined, and thinks they are better than they are. I'm glad to see him finally contributing to, instead of draining from his team.

It's about 7:15 left in the 4th, and Miami is just getting ass raped with no vaseline. 18 point game, and it looks like a comeback is impossible. Miami's lack of depth has been killing them, their transition defense is killing them, and their shooting is killing them. And if Udonis Haslem is seriously injured, that's going to hurt the Heat in an area where they are already weak---lack of depth. Posey will have to step up in a major way.

Divine Rides
06-12-2006, 04:24 AM
was a good game if you're a mavs fan. they looked like they could sweep it from the way they played, but i must tell you, as a basketball fan, it was good to see them not lose a home game, because these upcoming 3 games are in miami, and it's going to be rought. why is just the finals in the 2-3-2 format? it's dumb. the 2-2-1-1-1 is much better and more balanced, giving any team 3 games a row at home is an advantage.
i don't see walker as "growing up". i think walker has always been a special and unique character and talent in the league. too often we ask our legitimate stars to be something they're not, (this is an argument i've been coming to terms with over the years, being a big lamar odom fan). these guys are who they are- to ask antoine to play like a traditional 4 man, ask him not to shoot threes, is to ask him to go against what makes him a special player, of course it's transition to ask guys like walker and payton to be true role players and not statistical leaders like they'v been, but just because they're able to do it, doesn't signify some evolution in their games, you put walker on the celtics, or payton on the bobcats, they're still the stars they were when we saw them as stars of a team. These guys aren't Michael Jordan (or several of the elite guys playing today, kobe, kg, wade, AI, lebron- who are all extremely "comlete" mentally and physically, including flaws, as all the greatest have had) but we're in an era of tons of true stars. I like Walker, he's an undeniablely endearing guy, tons of heart, tons of style, I hope he keeps firing threes and shoulder shaking til the day he's history, I want them to be credited for who they are and what they've brought to the game, not by symbolistic shows of selflessness in an effort to win a championship. Go mavs, go everyone, go NBA, I'm pre-emptively sad for your absence in my life, see you in November. Big ups yourself everyone who read this, big ups yourself subspace. come play strikeball, seriously, let's play! (a very drunk d. rides)

Subjugation
06-12-2006, 06:04 AM
Haha, that's awesome.

As far as the 2-3-2 goes, I think it's not so bad that the team with the best record should be expected to win on the road.

phata$$
06-13-2006, 04:17 AM
Speaking of your infatuation with Lamar Odom, how did you feel when your two favorite players (Odom and Thomas) squared off?

Yeah I know it was a long time ago.

The Mavericks have really stunned me. I had Miami winning in 4-5 games. I have also called a lot of other playoff series as well. Such as Lakers beating Pho, Clips beating Pho, Cavs beating Pistons and Spurs beating Mavs. My extensive analyzing skill seems to be worth jack-shit.

gran guerrero
06-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Speaking of your infatuation with Lamar Odom, how did you feel when your two favorite players (Odom and Thomas) squared off?

Yeah I know it was a long time ago.

The Mavericks have really stunned me. I had Miami winning in 4-5 games. I have also called a lot of other playoff series as well. Such as Lakers beating Pho, Clips beating Pho, Cavs beating Pistons and Spurs beating Mavs. My extensive analyzing skill seems to be worth jack-shit.

wtf ty for picking miami you dick

burn in hell you walking jinx

Subjugation
06-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Ahaaha, that's funny. Keep picking Miami, Phata$$. ^-^

phata$$
06-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey those series that I called were pretty damn close!! All seven game series!

But yeah, your Heat are screwed. Go Shaq!! 2 more points!! :P

phata$$
06-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Great game. Wade truly is great. I wish I was at that game, great game to watch and free t-shirts!

gran guerrero
06-13-2006, 11:47 PM
OMG I HAD AN NEAR HEART ATTACK WATCHING THAT GAME
I WISH I WAS THERE BUT SOME FUCKERS BOUGHT ALL THE TICKETS AND FUCKING PRICE GOUGING IT ON EBAY!
I SAID PLEASE GOD, THANK YOU GOD AND FUCK YOU GOD ALL IN THE SAME SENTENCE 10 TIMES IN THAT GAME!
I FOUND MY LUCKY SPOT WHERE I LAY IN MY BED WITH A TENNIS BALL ON MY HEART, IF I GOT UP WE SUCKED IF I LAY THERE WITH THE TENNIS BALL ON MY HEART WE OWNED!!!
I DID A 100 JUMPING JACKS WHEN GARY PAYTON MADE THAT SHOT!!!!!

OMG I LOVE MY HEAT!!!

Subjugation
06-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Rofl, that's fucking hillarious. A little excited, are you?

Well, I gotta admit, Wade showed exactly what you described about him. Completely took over the game, showed tremendous heart---yadda yadda. But aside from the 42 pts from Dwyane...

(What a fucked up spelling, btw. A goddamn silent y?)

...the difference in this game from previous are the rebounds and freethrows. Miami had 15 more rebs than Dallas and the Heat hit their freethrows in the 4th quarter.

Anyway, GG. Let's see if they can turn this into some momentum and stage a comeback.

gran guerrero
06-14-2006, 03:18 AM
freethrows have been an xfactor for the heat in these playoffs for some reason

if we dont go to the free throwline and/or hit them at a good percentage then we lose.
(just take away shaq from that stat, but he needs to at least hit a couple like he did in game 3, hitting 0 is just unexcusable)

but its a good thing being the only team in the playoffs able to outrebound the mavs.

If you seen the first half you would say god damn how the fuck did the heat get themselves in such a hole anyways. they were on fire and played great defense.

TURNOVERS
omg turnovers is the true achilies heal for the miami heat ESPECIALLY Dwyane (i agree sub i like it Dwayne better) Wade.
what really fucks us over is turnovers we commit the most in the season and in the playoffs no wonder we had such a tough time playing good teams.
we kept commiting the stupidest turnovers and stupidest fouls (btw awesome how wade played most of the fourth quater with 5 fouls i nearly passed out when i thought he fouled devin harris [hand check] when he drove to the basket, totally mj-like).

if we keep our turnovers low, hit our freethrows, rebound, and keep the hot shooting hot also get good contribution from our role players not our key players, the role players (haslem, posey, payton, williams, walker) and we can do this, we just need energy and the will to do it, we need the same motivation that everyone who watched game 3 in the fourth quater.
these role player guys need to do what they are meant to do.
haslem - rebound, defense
posey - defend and shoot threes
williams - spread open the offense and contribute the ball to everyone and spark an offense
payton - defend (clutch shot btw, that was his first shot of the game and second made the whole series wow!)
walker - be the third scorer, be another playmaker by being consistant, start by driving first then gradually work your way back to your Tippy-Toe three point shot!

you know wade can light it up any time, shaq just needs to be light on his foot and have that hunger.

pat riley has been out manuevered in the playoffs lately by his chess opponent Avery Johnson, but a true victor has patience and will come out on top when the odds are stacked up against them.

DO IT FOR ZO! LETS GO HEAT!

Subjugation
06-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Goddamit.

Hungery
06-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Miami To Win
Goo Shaquilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeee eeeeee Oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aalllllllllllllllllllllll!
B)

gran guerrero
06-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Cheap play by stackhouse totally lame!

which described their game play by the way.

Miami heat dominated the game and won by 20 points i believe?

first time in this series where miami didn't do bad in the second and third quaters combined (we usually suck in these two quarters)

one more game in miami, gl dallas.

Subjugation
06-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Yea, the game made me feel pretty sick. Dirk was getting owned, and Dallas didn't hit their open shots.

Good effort from Miami. Props. Now, I'm gonna go try and wash my eyes out with bleach.

gran guerrero
06-16-2006, 10:56 PM
LOL JERRY STACKHOUSE SUSPENDED I KNEW IT!

Squeezer
06-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Go Miami.

I love D-wade, and I really want G-P to get his ring, even if it means Shaq has to get another.

Subjugation
06-18-2006, 05:23 PM
2 hours to go...fuckin hyped, yo.

Subjugation
06-19-2006, 12:22 AM
:death:

phata$$
06-19-2006, 12:26 AM
wow GG

Lakers would have shut Wade down <_<

gran guerrero
06-19-2006, 02:19 AM
wow GG

Lakers would have shut Wade down <_<

if detroit couldn't
i dont think lakers could.

phata$$
06-20-2006, 03:47 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20051225/LALMIA/boxscore.html

Oh and here's a little thing I found to raise the game's expectations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3McNUJY6EHM

gran guerrero
06-20-2006, 04:21 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20051225/LALMIA/boxscore.html

they didnt shut down wade, they just defended wade with more double teaming and such(still got enough good points, thats really not shutting down, thats just good defense, and as you can see he was in foul trouble. Only the pistons held Wade to 10 points or fewer. Did Lakers shut him down from making good plays (5 assists), making right decisions (only 2 turnovers), did they stop him from making clutch shots to get the points that wade shouldnt have gotten. if you forgot that game was hyped around shaq and kobe because of their feud. Wade let shaq have the ball to do his thing. They just put all the defense on Shaq and wade, but forgot the others.

Now lets take a look at the next game that you failed to mention
January 16 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2006011613)
The stats says it all.

Playoffs are best of 7 phata. Just cause they play good defense one game on Wade doesn't mean he can be held for long. Just ask Chicago.

phata$$
06-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Ahh I am just being bitter about my LA teams. There is no arguement, Wade can flat out play. Let's just hope he can 3 hours from now.

To tell you the truth, I see Dallas winning this game. I know Wade is on fire, but Dallas has been undefeated at home against Miami and won by pretty substantial margins. Dallas could have won both games 3 & 5 as well. Plus they have their sixth man back on the bench. But then again it is the NBA Playoffs.

gran guerrero
06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
But then again it is the NBA Playoffs.

its also the NBA FINALS!!!
Anything can happen.

phata$$
06-20-2006, 11:04 PM
I am an awesome jinx. It was kind of a bummer that they couldn't win the championship at home, but great game. Dallas had the chance to tie it. Open shot and everything. I bet gran went mad when wade missed both free throws and that traveling call. :P

Subjugation
06-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Congradulations, Gran. You must be pretty fuckin excited.

I knew the Heat had heart, but I really didn't think they had enough talent to overcome all of the weapons that Dallas had. And your prediction about Wade taking over games was 100% on the money. If it wasn't for Mr MVP, D-Wade, the trophy would be headed to Texas. GG.

gran guerrero
06-20-2006, 11:17 PM
WHAT NOW! WHAT NOW! I CALLED IT AND I SHOULD OF PUT MONEY ON IT IM PISSED AT THAT! I WAS PISSED WHEN THE REFS TRIED GIVING THEM THE GAME! BUT IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE! WADE WAS HUGE! HASLEM WAS HUGE! WALKER WAS HUGE! ZO WAS HUGE!

GIVE GP HIS RING YOU CAN RETIRE NOW BABY!

LETS GO HEAT!!!