No announcement yet.

Fix the bots, or shut down the league.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix the bots, or shut down the league.

Either run a proper league with functioning bots, or don't have one at all. It is incredibly annoying when the bots lag out every other game.
    ROCKING MY OWN WORLD SINCE PUBERTY.

As crazy as this sounds, maybe they should make staffers ref matches?

It's just insane enough to work.

Comment

Mythrandir's point in making the Matchbots was to minimize the need for staff to do such a thing. It's all a matter of convenience, and as of now it's more convenient for staff to just let people fight their own matches. And I smell this moving to Trench Wars League/Division soon.
      5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
      5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
      5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Bots don't just vaporize out of thin air. Somebody has to code them, develop them, and test them. There's no way to test them unless you do it in an environment somewhat similar to where they'll ultimately be. Nobody has any sort of testing environment that can subject those bots to the amount of traffic they see in trenchwars. They have to be tested here, there's nowhere else. May have been wise to declare TWD as a trial run or something, but the process has to go on here, the bots won't just instantly work perfectly.

Comment

Re: Fix the bots, or shut down the league.

Originally posted by yung
          Either run a proper league with functioning bots, or don't have one at all. It is incredibly annoying when the bots lag out every other game.
          Or you could just quit.

Comment

Moving this thread to Trench Wars Division...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......
            gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
            gravy_: Electric granny chariots
            gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

And now for my two cents :

As far as I can see you'll always find something to complain about. Bots are still being worked on and Myth is doing whatever he can to solve the lag issues. You complain mods won't always host matches for you. You complain the league is never arriving.

Here is a system which allows any squad to have a shot in a ladder system, with minimal need of staff. Sure, maybe having staff around in the early stages might be nice but the fact is Trench has one of the most advanced leagues codewise and you yet find reason to complain.

If TWD was pulled entirely you'd go back to complaining there isn't any league and how cool TWD was. It's one thing to bring up suggestions and questions. It's another to say "Fix this one problem or we won't play."

Comment

I understand the frustration. Multiply your frustration by 10 and you know how frustrated I am with this lag problem. And as arrogance said, cancelling TWD won't help us fixing it.
                Our "test run" were the practice bots and the 'private basing' bots, which had a similar load (about 80-90% of the maximum load that the bots have now).

On the other hand, I'm very short on time, and am overworked. DoCk> is very busy too, lately, so both of us didn't have a lot of time to address the lag issue.

I'm going to take care of a few things the coming weekend:
                - if the bot lags out, _all_ games that were running at that moment will be voided, without being reported to the TWD website.
                - all matches where MatchBot lagged out in and where a false result was reported to the website (approx. 40 matches out of 780) will be voided, and ratings will be corrected. I will put up a report of the rating changes so every squad can see why it dropped/increased in rating.
                - the shipchange bug will be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythrandir
                  - if the bot lags out, _all_ games that were running at that moment will be voided, without being reported to the TWD website.
                  - all matches where MatchBot lagged out in and where a false result was reported to the website (approx. 40 matches out of 780) will be voided, and ratings will be corrected. I will put up a report of the rating changes so every squad can see why it dropped/increased in rating.
                  Ok I can forsee complaining coming so before it happens please don't complain about the voiding of these matches. It is the fairest way and in the long run balances out.

And 40 out of 780 is only just over 5%. Not that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent Lott
                    As crazy as this sounds, maybe they should make staffers ref matches?

It's just insane enough to work.
                    Maybe you should take finger out of your ass and do some thinking before posting ideas that have no possibility of working.
                    TWD has been running now about 18 days and there is around 800 games played. Doing some elementary math u get around 45 games played on average per day. Now tell me...where the hell would u find hosts for all the matches?

Its annoying enuff to try to find some1 who doesnt esc+q/pretend to be afk/pretend that his teammates are afk/down right pussy out when we ask them to play us. I dont even want to imagine begging/harassing/insulting etc for another 30 mins to get a host for the game
                    TWL-J champ season 5 (Elusive)
                    TWL-D champ season 6 (Elusive)
                    TWL-D champ season 8 (-FINAL-)
                    TWL-D champ season 10 (Syndicate)

Comment

Seriously, fix the bots or lets just not have this league.

Comment

Originally posted by Vihta
                        Lots of stupid shit

The way the last 3 seasons were previously hosted without nearly as many problems as this one. Hosts showed up on the weekends and reffed pre-scheduled games. Maybe that means that squads could not play 93208994389 games, but people knew a) when to show up, b) who they would face/how it would change their standing, and c) reassurance that there would be a referee.

The bots have not been able to provide that, not yet anyways, and should not be "in charge" of an official league until they are thorougly tested.

Comment

ffs

agreed with yungta. fix the p0s bots. today, we beat elusive in the first round in twjd and.. sure enough :::Matchbot has left the room:::. Now, this is getting kinda.. annoying/typical. I don't.. know for sure if they lagged the bot out or what.. maybe they did maybe they didnt. But its pretty sad when we win a round and im thinkin the back of my head "i wonder if bot lags out". This TWD is fun and all, but it is and most definatly unstable and jus prac. Now when TWL comes.. maybe ppl might actually look forward to games.. because they won't have to think they will get screwed over by a bot, with a real host and all.
                          RaCka> how can i get you here
                          death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
                          RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
                          death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

I say stop you whining.. Mythrandir, has put many hours in those bots, and he still is putting those ours in.. But when bot lags out, its just dock> connection, and mythrandir cant fix that, sure there are some bugs left, but they will be fixed in the end. I say stop your whining, and have some respect.
                            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

i would like to make an announcment, deathrow is right, we did lag the bot out. Some of you may not know this, but epi is in fact mythrandir, and he coded a command (!elusiveloosing) into the bot, that lets us bail out of a game after we loose a round. Elusive would like to apologise for cheating in order to win.

It occured to my squad that some people might actually believe that, so just to make sure, it is a joke.
                              Last edited by yung; 01-25-2003, 09:07 PM.
                              ROCKING MY OWN WORLD SINCE PUBERTY.

Comment

Working...
                              X