PDA

View Full Version : Pride FC

Dameon Angell
08-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Anyone else watch this? I think this is a far superiour product over UFC and I think Bas Rutten is the man, when it comes to colour commentary. Way better than Joe Roggan ... shit .. a hell of alot better.

Over here, we get a weekly Pride FC show on the Fox Sports West channel, but most of the fights are from last year or so. The most recient DVD out is "Critial Countdown Absolute 2005" with the Middleweight Tournament. So, I dunno how Mirko "Cro Cop" is doing currently, but he's definately my favourite fighter out of all of them.

Richard Creager
08-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Why did you spell color with a u?

Fidel Castro
08-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Maybe he thinks hes european.

A far superiour product? I don't know about that. Joe Rogan is an annoying piece of vile human trash though, fuck that asshole. I like pride and I like ufc, but it just seems to me that pride has a higher percentage of boring fights than ufc, but each of them has their share of boringness, so I don't really watch either anymore.

Bilbo
08-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Too bad Bas Rutten isn't with Pride anymore and Mirko will if things continue like this not fight in the second round of the OWGP. But yeah, he is my favourite fighter too.

Ps. Wanderlei will kill Liddell.

demonfaze
08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, Pride is good stuff. Pride definitely has a much better Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight division than the UFC due to the higher caliber fighters in those weight classes. Although UFC does have a great Welterweight division, and they're starting to pick it up with their Lightweight division. Both organizations are very entertaining to watch though in my opinion.

Also yeah, Bas Rutten isn't doing color commentary for Pride anymore because he recently started fighting again for the WFA (World Fighting Alliance), and I guess Pride isn't willing to pay CroCop the money he requested so he may not fight for them anymore. By the way I wouldn't count out Chuck Liddell, it should be a great fight hopefully. :)

I guess i'd say my favorite fighter is B.J. Penn.

Bilbo
08-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Pride is better in all weightclasses except for welterweight, but yeah, with Jens Pulver UFC has moved up a notch in the lightweight division. Pulver is probably the most technical boxer in MMA, except for perhaps Nishijima, and he is always fun to watch. Regarding Prides lightweights I'm still waiting for Joachim Hansens title fight so he can kick Gomi's ass again. I've really taken to Joachim after his fights and his appearance on a swedish martial arts / travelling show.

As for Chuck, sloppy boxing and takedown defence isn't going to help with someone that survived standing with Crocop and Hunt and doesn't want to take you down.

I watch both UFC and Pride but I've been dissapointed with the recent UFCs while Pride has put on great shows. UFC in my mind has rules that make for worse fights too, elbows that can end matches with cuts and the octagon which makes it easy for wrestlers to press their opponents against the cage while throwing short elbows och punches with barely damage (I'm looking at you Tito).

Ps. Did anyone laugh as much as I did with Chris Leben vs Anderson Silva? The pre-fight interview with sending Silva back to Japan "where the competition is easier" and the fight is probably the funniest thing in MMA this year. I laughed harder than at Penn vs Hughes interview where Hughes would teach people to not move up in weightclasses.

PaulOakenfold
08-06-2006, 11:44 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yA2YoqJcT9o

Dameon Angell
08-07-2006, 12:17 AM
I laughed harder than at Penn vs Hughes interview where Hughes would teach people to not move up in weightclasses.

My friend is a cage fighter .. said the same damn thing about Hughes ... lmao ... made me laugh my ass off too.

But yeah, cheers for Bas, then. I thought he was just doing a 1-time deal down here in Anaheim.

phata$$
08-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Wanderlei wants to fuck, I mean fight Chuck.

ROFL still makes me laugh

Dameon Angell
08-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Lmao .. "I want to fuck Chuck" ... that was good times.

For Silva, I think the way this works out. Chuck has to defend his title against whoever he's facing next (I forgot his name). Then, if Chuck is successful, then it will be Liddell vs Silva for the title.

Bilbo
08-07-2006, 09:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzgjOR5f_Sc

xoxo Chris Leben

Edit: Score! Seems like Crocop will be in the 3rd round of the OWGP after all.

demonfaze
08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
As for Chuck, sloppy boxing and takedown defence isn't going to help with someone that survived standing with Crocop and Hunt and doesn't want to take you down.

I watch both UFC and Pride but I've been dissapointed with the recent UFCs while Pride has put on great shows. UFC in my mind has rules that make for worse fights too, elbows that can end matches with cuts and the octagon which makes it easy for wrestlers to press their opponents against the cage while throwing short elbows och punches with barely damage (I'm looking at you Tito).

I wouldn't say Chuck has sloppy boxing, he's just not a textbook boxer. He has a unique style that works, he's able to throw knockout punches from weird angles that his opponents don't see coming. He's also one of the hardest punchers in MMA. Don't get me wrong though, I also think Silva has the advantage in this fight, I just wouldn't be all that surprised if Chuck came out on top. I don't think this fight will go to a decision at all either because you basically got a counter-puncher against an aggressor so this should be an awesome non stop fight until someone gets knocked out or TKO'd. :)

The elbows do kind of suck when they cause an early stoppage due to a cut, but I do think its part of the fight game. So i'm not against elbows, as a matter of fact it'd be nice if they allowed more offensive tools in the UFC like stomps and soccer kicks to the person on the floor like Pride allows, but I believe the athletic commision doesn't allow it here. Were you refering to the Ortiz/Shamrock fight when you were talking about elbows barely doing damage? I know a lot of people think that was a early stoppage, but I thought it was a good stoppage. Shamrock wasn't defending himself and Ortiz could of kept going with those elbows until Shamrock got really messed up. From what I saw anyway it looked like Shamrock went limp after the first or second elbow and he was KOed, then he woke back up after the 4th or 5th elbow. Good stoppage. :)

Dameon Angell
08-07-2006, 03:29 PM
I've been on the giving and recieving end of the "ground-n-pound" short elbows and forearm strikes. Those are a bitch, definately not "low damage" hits. If you wanna end a fight early, get into the mount and rain down some bombs like that if you get an opening. Usually if you get one in, you can sneak in more.

demonfaze
08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
CroCop has just been confirmed to be back in the OWGP by the way, I guess Pride is going to pay him what he asked. So he'll be fighting Wanderlei Silva in September for the 2nd round of the tournament.

Dameon Angell
08-07-2006, 04:03 PM
OOoooooh, that's gonna be badass.

Bilbo
08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I already said that. :(

It's the third round by the way, first was vs Minowa and second vs Yoshida.

And I was talking about every match where Tito takes someone down and sits in their guard all round without any kind of offence. If it's ground and pound where you actually damage someone with the short elbows I would appreciate it, but that shit doesn't fly when the opponents hold you close or holds your wrists. What he does is try to scrape up a cut on the face and score points with the judges instead of ending the fight in a real way. Shit, even Fedor has lost by a cut.

Tito vs Shamrock II was barely worth watching or even mentioning, everybody knew how it would go.