Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 Pulling a 360? They'll never learn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Pulling a 360? They'll never learn...

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/gam...14115917309058

Originally posted by Games Radar
    [PS3] Number of launch units dwindle in US and Japan; no launch until 2007 for Europe
    Words: Matt Cundy

Wish you had more time to save the rather large chunk of dough necessary to buy a PlayStation 3 on its November 17 release date? Be careful what you wish for, as getting your hands on a launch system just got a lot more difficult.

The Associated Press reports that far fewer PS3s than previously expected - about 400,000 - will be allocated to US customers at release. By comparison, the PS2 launched with 500,000 units nearly six years ago.

In addition, while Sony's shipment forecast of six million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 [March 2007] has not changed, the company's initial estimate of four million units on shelves worldwide by the end of 2006 will most likely drop to just two million.

In a statement released early this morning, Sony said that the shift in release numbers is "caused by the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilized in PlayStation 3."

This reasoning is consistent with our UK site's report last week that manufacturers are having trouble producing enough blue lasers to support both stand-alone Blu-ray players and PS3 in time for Christmas.

PlayStation boss Ken Kutaragi explained that Sony has "been working hard to try to tackle the problem, but we see the [supply] delay is inevitable." He did assure that other PS3 preparation was going well and that mass production of the machine was scheduled to begin at the end of September.

The news was even worse for Japanese and European gamers. Japan will receive somewhere in the miniscule region of 100,000 units for its November 11 launch, while Europe won't get a single system until March 2007 - a delayed release of four months.

In response to its scratched plans for a simultaneous global release, Kutaragi said: "We decided to focus on the Japanese and US markets... I am so sorry not to be able to answer to all the expectations."

September 6, 2006
    So yeah, 100,000 less units being shipped than the PS2. Europe, Sony doesn't care about you anymore, sorry. And Japan, I hope you guys hone your street-combat skills to pick this up cause it'll be guerilla warefare in the streets of Toyko come Launch day.
    DELETED

lol at the last bit
    (Everett)>TOASTY had been promoted from rookie to decent player. Salary increased (+ $1.1 Million US/Year)
    (TOASTY)>Everett has been promoted from immigrant to bad English speaker. Salary increased (+ Minimum Wage US/Year)

2:Refund> whatup ev
    2:Everett> good

Comment

I like how sony doesn't even think it'll do well in Japan.
      sage

Comment

Alternately, it could think that it has such a guaranteed lock on Japan sales that a larger step-in would be unnecessary.
        Originally posted by Ward
        OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Doesn't Nintendo still own the Japanese Market?
          Originally posted by Tone
          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Nintendo has Japan by the balls. And come November, with the launch of the Wii at ($199-$249), Nintendo is poised to take, at least, second place in the states. If Microsoft is smart (and I think they already started doing this), they should embrace this and take out Sony early with going "Hey, you can buy a Wii and a 360 for the price of one PS3! You get the innovation of Nintendo's device and our powerful graphics and online service!".
            DELETED

Comment

If you want to really see the domination of nintendo in japan, check out the top software sales from august 21 to 27. all nintendo ds apparently.

http://dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=1424
              LA

Comment

im buying a DS lite in about a week

i have dreams about spamming pictochat with hand-drawn cocks
                NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

I won't buy a ps3 until it has dropped in price a lot.
                  Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome
                    im buying a DS lite in about a week

i have dreams about spamming pictochat with hand-drawn cocks
                    Did that when I first got mine, it's awesome. Cocks and Goaste were probably the first things flying around on Pictochat.
                    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Necromotic
                      If you want to really see the domination of nintendo in japan, check out the top software sales from august 21 to 27. all nintendo ds apparently.

http://dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=1424
                      That URL shows me that the PS2 has sold 5 copies for every GameCube. The DS systems have done very well, but they are portables.
                      Originally posted by Ward
                      OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

lawl warefare
                        ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                        Failure teaches success.

Comment

Last edited by Eric is God; 10-03-2006, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vykromond
                            That URL shows me that the PS2 has sold 5 copies for every GameCube. The DS systems have done very well, but they are portables.
                            And they make money all the same.
                            sage

Comment

I never got what the big deal was with a DS. But I played the new super mario bros, and yeah, I understand now. Down with psp.
                              While I'm sippin herbal teas verbal bees plant fertile seeds
                              Bitches leave with broke backs, swollen palms and purple knees

Comment

Working...
                              X