Question concerning copyrighted materials, songs, in particular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning copyrighted materials, songs, in particular

I'm creating a website, specifically for my animations and artwork. A few of my animations have songs created by bands in them- songs that are copyrighted. Is it illegal to show my animations that contain these songs, even if I'm not making any money off of them?
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Would propably help if we knew the country you're living in.
    jee

Comment

Usa.
      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Just give credit where credit is due, really. If you're not making money off of it, I wouldn't worry. I mean, a good example would be www.newgrounds.com. Alot of animations on it which contain copyrighted materials all the time. They're never sued just cause it's a showcase of work for the sake of showcasing it. If Newgrounds paid to sell those works on a DVD, or something, then they'd have copyright issues.
        DELETED

Comment

I'm going to have to say that it's probably illegal. I know that the RIAA bitches youtube out lately and makes them delete music videos and animations with RIAA protected music in them.
          sdg

Comment

I think that if you just put the band and songtitle in it at the end or something it won't be too much of a problem if you dont sell it.
            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Probably could be considered illegal even though it shouldn't be. In my opinion, no one's going to go after your site that you're not making any money off of and isn't getting a ton of hits.

Giving credit might even make it easier for them to google and find you, where as if you don't, how are they going to ever care enough to find you?

So backwards.

Comment

yeah but I don't think credit within a flash animation is going to show up on google anytime soon
                afksry

Comment

I think the "fair use" clause is normally claimed for just this kinda thing:P
                  Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                  Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

It's highly unlikely that you'd get into copyright issues (and nearly 100% unlikely if your site gets very few hits). To be safe, giving credit is the standard way to avoid things, but to be 100% safe would be to ask the band itself... which the outcome isn't always great knowing musicians these days.
                    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
                    -Buddha

Comment

Yea just put it in credits. If anything you're doing them a favour by advertising their songs ;P.
                      USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                      ---A few minutes later---
                      9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                      9:Kim> UM
                      9:Kim> i didn't
                      9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                      9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                      9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                      9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Hakaku View Post
                        It's highly unlikely that you'd get into copyright issues (and nearly 100% unlikely if your site gets very few hits). To be safe, giving credit is the standard way to avoid things, but to be 100% safe would be to ask the band itself... which the outcome isn't always great knowing musicians these days.
                        how many famous musicians do you know these days?
                        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

If you were somehow making money off the song itself then it would be illegal. Otherwise, you are fine. Give credit where credit is due, make sure you never take credit for the song, and you are golden.
                          Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                          sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

I believe it is illegal, although if you are not making profit off it, then it will be difficult to sue you for any meaningful amount of damages.

In practice it does not matter. For example, IIRC all fanfiction is illegal, but I haven't heard of any fanfiction sites getting threatening letters sent to them.
                            - k2

Comment

I consistently used to visit www.Halo3Forum.com, where people post videos they've edited using Sony Vegas 6, and made things called "Montages." Where they take footage of themselves playing Halo 2 using a Capture Card, take clips out, and put them in order and put a song in the background. To avoid copyright issues, most of them put "Songs: _____ by _______" in the credits, and they're left untouched. At the end of your clips/animations just add "Songs by: ______" And list them, you should have no problem otherwise..

Comment

Working...
                              X