Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Thermonuclear war at its very best...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Thermonuclear war at its very best...

Imagine you're a commander hidden away in your underground bunker, there's minimal risk to yourself, but as you're about to see, this is not the case for the rest of the world's population.

In front of you lies a tactical screen of the world (ala the movie called Wargames), on this screen, you command your navy, your airforce and your arsenal of tactical warheads. It's you against 5 other world superpowers, you all have the same forces, the same goal: Not to win, but to lose the least. It's M.A.D. at its very finest and pure coldest. The obliteration of a city doesn't result in a spectacular explosion with screams and fire, it's simply a white blip on the map, with a statistic saying how many dead, "Mexico City hit, 14.3million dead". You don't feel guilty, you feel proud, you get a sense of a job well done when you see a big city's population drop by a factor of 5. There's one problem, you've nuked them, they WILL nuke you back, you are going to get hit, it's unavoidable, just hope you get hit less than them.

If you haven't worked it out already, I am writing about a new game which came out yesterday (Friday 29th) called DEFCON, by Introversion Software, the makers of Uplink and Darwinia. It's a RTS but on a global scale. Each superpower gets:

6 missile silos (which can either be in defensive mode (shoots down planes + nukes) or offensive mode (launches nuclear ICBMs)) It can't be in both mode at the same time, however, and switching between the two modes takes a while, during which it is inoperable.

4 Airbases: From here you can launch fighters and bombers. Fighters are good for shooting down other planes, and have a limited capability against ships. Bombers are good against ships, and can also launch nuclear missiles.

6 Radar stations: without these you are blind, anything (exlcuding subs) within your radar, you will be able to see on the map

Naval fleets, you can make as many fleets as you like out of a total of 12 subs, 12 battleships and 12 carriers. (so you can make 36 fleets of 1 ship, but that's just dumb) A fleet can hold up to 6 ships, and contain any combination of ships.

Battleship: This ship is your naval defense, it's used to attack other battleships and carriers, it can also shoot down bombers/fighters and nuclear warheads

Carrier: This ship is a floating equivalent of the airbase, but it also has a "submarine hunting mode" and is armed with depth charges, use this to try to catch any subs sneaking up to your coast.

Submarine: This ship carries 5 medium range nuclear ballistic missiles, it can operate in "passive sonar" (silent) mode, where it will only be seen by carriers in sub hunting mode, or by other wubs in "active sonar" mode.
    "active sonar" where it can see (And possible attack, I need to check this) other submarines in its vicinity. And Launch mode, when in launch mode, it is visible on radar, but by the time you get anything to it, it will probably be mid way through launching its arsenal.

From my description it kinda seems like a very uskillful game where its just launch everything etc, but that's just my bad describing, it's an extremely tactical game, but also quite simple to pick up due to the small number of units there is. Everything has limited ammunition (airbases carry 2 bombers and I think 8 nukes. Each bomber can only carry 1 nuke at a time, and must return to pick up a new one, each silo holds 10 nukes etc etc)

Also, the game goes through 5 stages:

DEFCON 5 - Start
    This is when the game starts, here is when you place your units and structures, naval units may be moved within international water.

DEFCON 4 - 6 mins
    You can still place units, but now your radar will show any enemy units within your range

DEFCON 3 - 12 mins
    You can no longer place units. Any units not placed are lost. Hostile actions may start, you may move within enemy territory. Only conventional hostilities though, such as naval battles and air warfare (attacking navies and scouting)

DEFCON 2 - 20 mins
    Same as DEFCON 3, but more aggresive

DEFCON 1 - 30 mins
    Nuclear launches allowed!

After a certain amount of time, a victory countdown is started (40 minutes from countdown start) and at the end of the countdown timer the game ends and the person with the most score wins. The default scoring mode: 2 points for every million civilians you kill, -1 for every million you lose, but there are a few other scoring modes which I can't be bothered to detail :P.

The game can be run at various speeds. Typically in-game, there is a speed button toolbar (much like in Sim City games) with > >> >>> >>>> anyone can choose there preference, and by default th egame will run at the slowest requested speed. So if one person wants > (realtime) and everyone else is on >>> (I think x5 speed, maybe x10), then the game will run at realtime speed. This can change throughout the game though. I've typically found that most people want it at realtime speed until they have placed their units, and then put it at >>> until DEFCON 3 when I prefer it back down to >>. In my (limited) experience, default mode games tend to last around 40 minutes, maybe a little longer.

Of course there is "office mode" where the whole game is locked in realtime, and should take around 6 hours. This is for playing at work, and you can press esc twice and it will minimise to the system tray

Anyway, I highly recommend this game, cause not only is it great fun, it's also incerdibly cheap. You can buy it from ww.everybody-dies.com and it is also on Steam. The download is only 60mb and you can play it in Demo mode (1 v 1 only) until you unlock it with an authentication key. I think it costs $14.99 on Steam and probably the same on the website (Around £10) and from the website you can pay an extra £5 to get a boxed copy.

For more info check out the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defcon_%28computer_game%29

and also the manual for the game is online and free:

http://storefront.steampowered.com/M...N%20manual.pdf
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

Yeah I've been playing this demo and "Defcon" is really badass. Reminds me of the old Axis and Allies or Risk, but an RTS version with nukes.
    DELETED

Comment

You've pretty much wrote your own wikipedia article already without having to link to another
      Originally posted by Facetious
      edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Incredible game. What I love most about it is the unbelievably haunting, apocalyptic soundtrack. I actually put all the sound files in a separate folder, it's a good listening experience when not playing the game as well.

Just know that you won't be able to sleep well after your first WWIII is behind you - you can't even feel good while playing it. You just reluctantly launch nukes wherever needed and observe their trajectory with tears in your eyes, a sigh for every million souls extinguished. Amazing experience.
        2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
        2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
        2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
        2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
        2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
        1:spider> Wooooohoo!
        1:spider> .*passes the hat*
        1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

Its real simple, yet complex at the same time. I think it's how the game moves that gives it it's great appeal. It defies the laws of physics, it's fast and slow at the same time, which give it that "thing".

Fast: The game goes thru the 5 levels of "Defcon". Basically you build on your territory, you create your units, move into position, and unleash hell. You get going, and before you know it, you're in Defcon 1.

Slow: When you fire a Nuke you see it slowly going thru the sky toward it's intended target, then you see, as it inches ever so slowly toward the enemy, the opposing salvo of anti-air missles hoping to stop you. After that, it's just sheer tension to watch and wait to see if you can hit your targets or, on the flipside, defend yourself properly.
          DELETED

Comment

Holy fucking shit on a demonpossessed christfuck, I had no idea this was coming out. Thanks so much for this heads-up.
            Originally posted by Ward
            OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

www.fileplanet.com for the free demo on the frontpage.
              DELETED

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Last edited by Send; 04-23-2015, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I bought this. It's awesome. Anyone looking for a game should email me or just find me on Defcon; I'm Vykromond, obviously.
                  Originally posted by Ward
                  OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Just had a nice game with a coupe of the Brit Chat guys:

Samba (USA) got completely owned cause he shoved 2 of his silos right up in north canada where they'll do no defense. I attacked him with 6 subs from the South West and that wiped out his West Coast. Flabby saw this as an opportunity to do some damage too and launched his subs' nukes (which were next to mine) and I think he did a fair amount of damage to the central/east USA. I then bombed the rest of east USA to smithereens.

My first attack on Russia (5 waves of 4 bombers with 1 silo) was aimed at Moscow/Leningrad and an adjacewnt silo but I don't think one single nuke got through. My second attack a while later got through as he launched all his silos at the same time, leaving Moscow and Leningrad (both with around 20/30 million in) completely undefended and the surrounding cities, which aren't too big were all easy pickings too.
                    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                    ---A few minutes later---
                    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                    9:Kim> UM
                    9:Kim> i didn't
                    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

The CPU player in this game loves to cheat so fucking badly.
                      SEE THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WIT YOU WHITE MUHFUCKAS, YA'LL ALWAYS TRYNA -FORCE A MOTHAFUCKA TO DO SOMETHIN- YA'LL ALWAYS TRYNA FORCE A MUHFUCKA TO SEE SHIT YOUR WAY.
                      AND IT BACKFIYAHS. EVERY. FUCKIN. TIME.

o// REVERE ILYAZ, JASON & GRAN \\o

Comment

Thats why you should buy direct and not from steam. steam suck!

The cpu is ez though, or is that just me....

and lol @ the timing of this game :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/5402018.stm
                        Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                        Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

so I cant dl this?
                          Originally posted by Tyson
                          There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
                          Originally posted by HeavenSent
                          Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
                          Originally posted by Izor
                          Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

download demo link

http://www.everybody-dies.com/downloads/index.html

demo restrictions

- You may play the single player Tutorial, and you may play a single player game against one AI opponent. (The full game permits six player games with any of those teams played by AI)

- This demo has working multiplayer, over LAN and Internet.

- You can set up any multiplayer game, but you can only have a maximum of two players in your game (The full game permits six player games). You may only play the Default game mode.

- You can join any multiplayer game, but only if there are no Demo players already playing in that game, and only if the game is using the Default game mode.
                            - In other words, only one Demo user may join any one game at any time.

- You may specate any game of any size.

- Demo Users may not play any of the advanced Game Modes: Office Mode, Diplomacy, Speed Defcon, Tournament Mode.
                            Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                            Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

yes yes, but the full game?
                              Originally posted by Tyson
                              There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
                              Originally posted by HeavenSent
                              Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
                              Originally posted by Izor
                              Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X