PDA

View Full Version : Flyers Hockey changes..it's about time!

404 Not Found
10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Flyers accept Bobby Clarkes resignantion and then they fire Hitchcock as the coach.

Its about time Clarke resigned. Snyder the Flyers owners said that he would not fire Clarke and he had to leave on his own. Clarke was in my opionion a piece of crap when it came down to drafts and trades. Totally out of touch the past decade. Oddly enough, they fired Ken Hitchcock too? Hitch didn't draft the players...not his fault...not that I care either. So Paul Holmgren is now the new GM. I like Holmgren alot better than Clarke.

This is why I like the Devils (somewhat local for me)...they see a problem and address it, unlike Snyder and Philadelphia that will sit and watch for years noting the probkems, but god forbid they would hurt anyones feelings.

Flyers f'n suck...hope they lose 99% of all there games this year, especially for what they charge per ticket.

Troll King
10-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Bob Clarke was an arrogant, vindictive, hypocritical SOB, and I'm surprised he stuck around that long as a GM. Holmgren is going to have to make some definitive move soon, to show the new change in direction, but I don't know how much different he'll be from the man who effectively trained him.

Mantra-Slider
10-24-2006, 01:09 AM
nice with a hockey thread in this crappy nfl forum.

Im not sure that I agree that kicking out hitchcock was a bad idea 404. As funny as he may look, it seems to me that he really likes these old slow players that you say clarke favoured. I dont think he has adopted to the new nhl either! I also find it hard to believe that a coach has nothing to say in the transfermarket but that might be different in nhl than in sweden..

maddack
11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Yo they did not address the issue: They must take off the C off Forsberg. The guy is not a leader person.

Spider
11-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Too bad the only NHL thread on here is about the Flyers. Yuck. The Devils kinda suck too but I remember when they beat the Wings to win the stanley cup. That happened right? So I guess they're ok. Fuck the wings.

froedrick
11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm still waiting for volcs to come in and get laughed at for the senators shitty play so far this year :)

WuTang420
11-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Fuck the wings.

how bout... FUCK YOU! wings ftw ;)

however without yzerman and shanahan it just not the same...i miss osgood in net too..

and imo the flyers sucked the min they lost lindros, leclair and fleury. didnt tehy have pavel bure in that era too? either way they deff suck now, hope the staff changes help em cause i like the team

Hero*
11-16-2006, 06:25 PM
osgood still on the team.
i dont think bure played on phile, at least when he was good. i cant remember. but i may be wrong

Troll King
11-16-2006, 06:28 PM
You do know we're talking about real NHL teams and rosters here, not the virtual ones you had in franchise mode in NHL 2001, right WuTang?

Jeenyuss
11-16-2006, 07:50 PM
i think the flyers' offense definately showed they can play last night pummelin the ducks 7-4.

Volcs
11-17-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm still waiting for volcs to come in and get laughed at for the senators shitty play so far this year :)

Won't happen.
I see the glass as half full. Sacrifice a season to get rid of the regular season champs in hopes of a team that can actually do something in playoffs.
Hopefully the first change to be made will be the Coach, and then the captain. As much as I love alfy, he's just not doing it right now. The team has no confidence and they play with shaky desperation.
Things seemed good when emery was in net, like they weren't playing scared. But it was only one game, I'm not going to get my hopes up ;)

Everyone in Ottawa blames Gerber, but I think it's a chicken/egg issue.
I think Ottawa's somewhat at fault for Gerber sucking, and Gerber's somewhat at fault for Ottawa sucking.

And I'm certainly not going to complain about regular season losses. The way I see it, we've always killed regular season and choked playoffs. Maybe we can get it out of our systems, and if we actually MAKE playoffs, kill it? :P

Troll King
11-17-2006, 07:10 PM
I thought they should have traded Alfredsson during the summer. That's the kind of move they needed to make to make a bold statement about change, plus they could have gotten something pretty good back for him. Right now, the Sens have that reputation of a team that can't pull it off in the playoffs and Alfie is the face you associate with that reputation.

Volcs
11-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I thought they should have traded Alfredsson during the summer. That's the kind of move they needed to make to make a bold statement about change, plus they could have gotten something pretty good back for him. Right now, the Sens have that reputation of a team that can't pull it off in the playoffs and Alfie is the face you associate with that reputation.

Yep. Gerber's just the scapegoat for the teams ongoing inability to pull it off under pressure right now.
This is a team that has incredible potential but no passion and no confidence when it counts.

Meh, Helps fans like me appreciate the wins more rather than expecting them...

froedrick
11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
I do not like spezza personally. No offense to those who like him, I just think he doesn't play defense and he's a sluggish skater.

Volcs
11-23-2006, 12:45 AM
I just wanna see him forecheck, just once ! ! !

froedrick
11-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I'd like to see him backcheck, just once.

WuTang420
11-27-2006, 06:55 PM
You do know we're talking about real NHL teams and rosters here, not the virtual ones you had in franchise mode in NHL 2001, right WuTang?

i know im talking about the late 90s man, i think i was fairly accurate for just trying to remember w\o research

genocidal
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I remember reading about new NHL rules but never knew them. I don't want to look them up because I know they're going to seem minor to my limited knowledge of hockey so will a hockey fan please explain what the rule changes are and why they are a big deal?

Troll King
11-27-2006, 07:18 PM
how bout... FUCK YOU! wings ftw ;)

however without yzerman and shanahan it just not the same...i miss osgood in net too..

and imo the flyers sucked the min they lost lindros, leclair and fleury. didnt tehy have pavel bure in that era too? either way they deff suck now, hope the staff changes help em cause i like the team

Fleury was never a Flyer, nor was Bure. When half of the players you named as Flyers aren't, then you're not "fairly accurate". You'd have been more accurate if you meant the Rangers.

WuTang420
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Fleury was never a Flyer, nor was Bure. When half of the players you named as Flyers aren't, then you're not "fairly accurate". You'd have been more accurate if you meant the Rangers.

oh lol, oops. guess my memory failed me.

i was 17 at the time too so that may have something to do with it lol. anyways i DO remember the wings of that period, best team ever

Troll King
11-27-2006, 07:42 PM
I remember reading about new NHL rules but never knew them. I don't want to look them up because I know they're going to seem minor to my limited knowledge of hockey so will a hockey fan please explain what the rule changes are and why they are a big deal?

There were several rule changes. They include:

1/ Being stricter on existing rules banning obstruction like hooking or interference. Referees used to be laxer on these rules though they have been in place for a while, so these aren't exactly "new". This has led to an increase in penalties which means an increase in powerplays which give a team a better chance of scoring.

2/ Removing the 2-line offside rule, allowing long passes from your defensive zone to the other side of the mid-ice red line. This allows for fast breakaway passes. The offside rule was in place to prevent cherry picking, so removing it opens up the game for more breakaways.

3/ Giving an automatic penalty for anyone who shoots a puck out of the rink while in their defensive zone, unless: the puck hits something before going out, or it goes into the benches where there is no glass. This penalty is considered to be a delay of game penalty. Critics of this rule say it is too harsh however, as this happens often when teams are already short-handed and desperate to relieve the pressure, leading to too many 2-man power plays.

4/ Goalies are restricted from handling the puck in the corners of the rink. This prevents them from intercepting an offensive strategy called the "dump and chase", which is sort of like a punt in football, where a team fires the puck into the corners and tries to reach it before the defence does.

5/ Games that are tied after regulation and a 5-minute sudden death over time period must be decided in a shoot-out. The idea here was to eliminate tie games and add a bit of excitement to the end of close games.

genocidal
11-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks TK. What do you guys think about the rule changes? I think that the shoot-out one is a good thing for any sport because I hate to see draws. I thought that icing prohibited the "dump and chase" strategy you said but, then again, my knowledge comes from playing Wayne Gretzky '98 or something.

froedrick
11-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Well the NHL is becoming more of a european style hockey game now. I don't know honestly, there are some rules that are okay and there are some that aren't. Most people love the shootout. I don't. Being a hockey player myself (and having taken a few penalty shots in my time) I don't enjoy this method of deciding a hockey game, because I find it defeats the whole purpose of having a team sport. But there are some who will argue that it's fun to watch, which is cool. I do however like how it's not included in the playoffs. In the playoffs gen they just play 20 minute sudden death overtime periods. Don't really care about the two line pass, however if you're not doing it correctly you're gonna get burned in your own end. I hate the delay of game of the puck over the boards. the goalie staying in the net is totally cool by me. And the obstruction being called is fine, cause it does open the game up more and prevents teams from slowing the game down brutally with the trap. Man I hate watching new jersey play. Memories of their boring games from when I was younger...ugghhh. All in all I think that the shootouts have made a huge difference in the states towards fan base, and that's probably the main reason they did it. So if it keeps hockey open and not locked out, I'm pretty much for it.

Troll King
11-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Icing applies when the puck is shot in from beyond the red line. Dumping happens after skating across the red line, usually at full speed. The defence will be ahead of them, but likely skating backwards, giving the attacking team the advantage in momentum. Dump and chase came as a counter to the neutral zone trap where the defence clogs the middle of the rink and prevent the offence from carrying the puck over the blue line because the risk of a turnover and quick reversal the other way is too great. It's also good if you have quick, hard hitting wingers who can charge into the corners and come out with the puck. Again, to use the football analogy, it's like recovering an onside kick.

The thing I don't like about the shootouts is that it should start with a best of 5 shooters like they use in International hockey. The shootout ends too quickly at just 3 shooters. I hope that they keep the continuous overtime format for the playoffs and keep the shootouts to the regular season; the playoffs are meant to be a grind and a complete team effort, and shouldn't be decided by an exhibition contest.

The puck-over-the-glass rule is the one that seems to have the most criticism against it. It's too general a rule and doesn't take into account the context of the shot. It's usually clear if a player is trying to get rid of the puck to stop play, while two minutes is too high a penalty for an honest attempt to clear the puck off the glass that travels too high.

The goalie restriction on going into the corners has a lot of critics too. It punishes those goalies who have good stick handling and can skate quickly by not allowing them to use those abilities. That was one of the reasons the Islanders drafted Rick DiPietro, though the rule changes didn't stop them from signing him to a 15-year contract.

Sleepy Weasel
11-28-2006, 03:27 AM
Yeah I think all the rules are an improvement but that penalty for clearing it over the glass is a little iffy. Too many times the defense has just been trying to clear it off the boards on a penalty kill and lifts it a little too high and gets a 2 minute penalty, leading to a possibly game changing 5 on 3. You could say they should only call it if it's seen as intentional, but I think that would be a big mistake, and I've only seen it done intentionally once (I mean how stupid do you have to be?). It does seem like it's happening a lot less frequently this year as defenders are probably now a lot more used to being careful about lifting the puck too high when clearing it. So hopefully it's working itself out.

froedrick
12-05-2006, 02:38 AM
So...http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=284521&page=NewsPage&service=page

Anyone else see that Clarke is now VP of the Flyers...wasn't gone too long.

TK, I honestly don't think they'll change the playoff overtime. I remember last year on hockey night in Canada during the playoffs, they showed like a 4 minute clip of interviews with players all getting the same question about shootouts in the playoffs. Every single player said they wouldn't want it. Something along the lines of, great for the fans during the regular season, but not during the playoffs.

404 Not Found
12-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Snyder couldn't live without Clarke it seems. It must be the oral he gives Snyder when he takes out his false front teeth. I have no idea as to what Clarke will actually do now that he is VP of the Flyers. I wish they would leave Philly though....god I hate that team and I am from Philly. Ever since Snyder was caught on tape noting that he didnt care if they didn't win the Stanley Cup, as all he cared about was filling the seats of the arena 1/2 way for every game and he makes a profit. It's not about winning for the Flyers management, it's about ripping off the fan base and milking them out of as much money that they can.