Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions from the computer-smart ppl pls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions from the computer-smart ppl pls?

So, my 6 year old computer is finally falling apart. Long story short, it's a piece of crap and everything is so outdated there's no point in keeping anything.

I just bought an huge external hard drive that I'm going to throw all of the music/pictures I want to keep on so that they won't clog up my next comp.
    I'm thinking I'm just going to go with a laptop.

Just wondering which ones would be your top picks. Not looking to spend too much, since I don't have any real need for a computer.
    Since I have the big external drive now I don't need too much space either.

I do work at Best Buy so I get a good enough discount, but I'm looking to spend around $1000.

These are the 4 I was looking at, keeping in mind that I'm completely computer ignorant, are any of these even worth buying?
    Anyone have any that they would specifically recommend?

Toshiba Satellite A100-TA4C 15.4"

Toshiba Satellite A100-TA6 15.4"
    Gateway MX6931 15.4"

This one seems to be my favorite because of the price, but I'm concerned as to whether this is a "get what you pay for, enjoy your piece of shit" type thing.
    Compaq Presario V5308CA 15.4"

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Volcs; 11-05-2006, 01:22 AM.
    Kthx> Does JB Inc pay his child support with pub bux?

Undisputed Pre-Menstral Super-Bitch Internet Kickboxing Champion 2005

Take the Acer I gave to you on MSN.
    DELETED

Comment

im on a 500mhz celeron with 282 mb ram and 128 mbit geforece mx4000 vid card and my shit runs great and i can playWolfenstin with no probs unless the seerver has 55 ppl

Comment

i like the dell XPS M1210

its 1,199 or 36/mo which isnt bad for the laptop i think

Up to 4GB1 of Dual Channel DDR2 memory2 provides blazing performance. provides blazing performance

but i dont know sicne ue get a discount with best buy :/
        http://www.dell.com/content/products...n=specs#tabtop

Comment

Gateway is crap. Semprons are entry level for AMD.

Out of those three I would go with this one-
          Toshiba Satellite A100-TA6 15.4"
          The only problem with it I see is shared memory for video but besides that it's pretty solid.

Edit: They're mostly multitasking computers. For laptops I wouldn't suggest going with a single core/processor (32 bit) for now, it isn't a good investment. Either go with a duel core or duel processor or a 64 bit processor, get 80+ gigs for hard drive space, a decent video card (my Radeon 9000 in my ibm r51 still does everything I need for 3d graphics so don't break the bank), 1Gig+ DDR2 RAM and as always with laptops get a good warranty. Stay away from Intel Mobile M, Celeron and AMD Duron.
          Last edited by Kolar; 11-05-2006, 02:39 AM.

Comment

yea i agree with kolar thatsa nice laptop

Comment

not to show any favortism, but...

Get a thinkpad. My oldest thinkpad, the original 600 lasted me 7 years of use and it was a hand down. If possible, I'd get something that was pre-lenovo however, like a t43 or a t42. I just think that the hardware quality is simply better, and the laptops themselves are very solidly built with screens that wont wobble.
              TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
              TelCat> hoes get paid :(
              TelCat> i dont

Comment

I bought a Toshiba Sat for about $1200 couple years ago, within a year it was giving me headaches. The battery life is down to 2 minutes now. It sounds like a dying giraffe. Friend of mine has one as well, and his sounds worse. How it can sound worse than a dying giraffe is beyond me.

I got a presario a couple months ago, one of those custom builds from the HP site. I bought it at the least possible resources, to buy the upgrades on the side and install myself for much cheaper. Would be great if I had the money to buy the upgrades though. It's widescreen, ~5lbs, and fairly nice. The only concern with it so far is the 1.5 hr battery and it seems a little flimsy. I popped a key off the other day and can't get it back on. It's like some Operation game to get it back on just right. But I'm happy with it, sure beats the 8lbs paperweight giraffe.
                DoCk>> im king of tw, i grant all twers permission to fornicate
                DoCk>> there's sucking up going on? i want in on it too :P

Comment

macbook pro.

Comment

I forgot to mention that IBM laptops are pretty durable. I haven't dropped mine or anything yet but it has taken a lot of abuse. I haven't had a single problem with it in 2 years. It really depends on what you need it for but my best advice would be to avoid the brands mentioned, look for the specs given and make a decent investment in the thing.

Comment

You're going to get 40 conflicting and stubborn opinions and not be any the wiser when the thread dies
                      Originally posted by Facetious
                      edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Better than zero opinions

Comment

$699
                          Toshiba Satellite A100-TA1C 15.4" Intel Celeron M 420 1.6GHz Media Center Laptop - Bilingual

Comment

Originally posted by Nockm View Post
                            Better than zero opinions
                            Confusion is the key
                            Originally posted by Facetious
                            edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Apple Dual-Core MacBook.

Runs Windows and MacOSX. All else does not matter.
                              Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                              sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X