How to fix the zone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix the zone.

Before I post this, I want to let everyone know I am not trying to flame anyone, or anything, this is just my opinion on the zone, and how I think it could be ran better.

As I see things right now, there are a few huge problems, that collectively will make this zone have problems in the upcoming years. As of right now, the differance between the average "veteran" and the average "player" is too high, you are either good, or terrible. There really hasn't been too much of a shift in this for awhile, and it seems like every year this gets bigger. The reason why this is such a big deal, is when the current veterans slowly dwindle away due to time or real life, there aren't any players who can start replacing them. This causes a competition problem, when less good players are playing, then the current good players don't have as much of a reason to play due to lack of competition between squads. This will be especially noticeable in the upcoming TWL I think, but I think most people will agree, this has been a dreadfully boring TWD season so far, with only a few squads who are dding, dding the same squads every day gets old. Another problem is this zone doesn't have a checks and balances system, most of the SMODS are friends with one another, and although this is a good thing not having huge arguments on staff chat with one another. But the problem with this is, for instance if Pure_Luck decides to do something, then he doesn't have anyone to tell him why it is a bad idea, and if anyone does think that, I doubt they would tell him because they might fear retribution. This means that even bad ideas can be implemented because there is nobody at the same level of power with conflicting interests. Dock> and Priitk used to have the same level of power, and with Pure_Luck taking the sysop spot alone, it is going to cause some problems. Another large problem is the fact that most people in positions of power.. just don't care. When you work your way up in staff, you probaly have several ideas, that don't get adknowledged, ignored, or just flat out shot down. Eventually you just stop having new ideas, and by the time you get to be an upper staffer, you either 1. have the ideas that the people who had been running the zone had. or 2. don't really have any new ideas. Chao posted the ER hosted list, I noticed a big difference between the top 3, and under that. We can't really rely on 2-3 hosts to continually host all the events this zone expects everyday, from now on, but because most older players don't "respect" staffers as they are today, it is hard to recruit good staffers anymore, that would really look good for this zone. This has been a growing problem in the last few years, and it seems like now the problem is becoming even worse.

So anyone who actually read this is probaly starting to wonder if I really am just trying to flame a few people, and are also wondering well, what are your ideas to fix the zone. First off we need to start promoting people into higher positions of power that actually want to help the zone, not because they are friends with people that are higher then them. People with opposing ideas on the zone would be helpful, to keep changes fair for everyone on the zone, between basing, javving, basing, publics, and hosting. Also staff needs to start getting their reputation back up, so once again players who have experience and knowledge of this zone and therefore know how it should be ran would come into power eventually. And once staff starts making good decisions, and getting rid of the embarassments, people will once again start to respect staff and it will be something that good people want to join again. Instead of being seen as a police force only there to keep the peace, Staff should be seen a benevolent higher power, that is there to make sure the game is running in tip top shape, and to make sure that the peoples wants are answered. People also need to see that "how much you host" isn't the end all for ER's. Some ER's that host less are better then some ER's that host more, just for the fact that they bring their personality into the game, and make the event more fun for players, which once again reflects well upon staff. I know this idea has been shot down before, but I think that Some active staffers should be able to run (while doublesquadding) secondary squads, where they recruit people who want to know how to play in leagues, and teach them how to run squads, how to play well together etc. Not only will this raise the current generations skill level, and preparedness for TWD and TWL which will raise competition eventually, but it will make the future generation of TW see staff is a beneficiary instead of police.

Someone told me that The Pusher interviewed staffers, and asked them why they wanted to be on staff, how they felt about staff.. It would be interesting to see the results if that happened now. Also it would help if you actually followed through with the things that you start. Somebody tried to limit the amount of uses for the robohelp, with ZH's using it instead of PMing people nearly every time. But after a few days it just seems like it gets forgotten. You make changes and expect them to just happen naturally.
    Last edited by kthx; 11-10-2006, 12:39 PM.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

agreed. i'd say more but i have to go to work.

Comment

Heres an idea, make Wark sysop for a month. He can accomplish what you fools only dream about.

What Wark says makes sense.. Look at me. I used to play this game all the time, playing events every 40 minutes (Now we're lucky to get one every 3 hours, usually hunt, but w/e), it was nice. Now staff seem to all be power hungry.. I.E. Burzum <ER> -- What does it do besides act like an all powerful mod? I'm pretty sure thats an <ER> tag? It comes into pictionary and dishes out warnings for SPAMMING in public chat while guessing. LZ is warned and burzum threatens to ban him if he asks a stupid question in that event again.

I said that little to say this: Wheres the upper staff dealing with these abusive under staff? And wheres the upper staff second guessing another ones call? Something needs to be done, someone needs to do something. I'd reccomend to stop recruiting people who lose interest with the game, and recruit people who want to make a positive difference.
      Last edited by Killer Soldier; 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM.
      Lofty> Why must I sit in my chat, listening to some pseudo-homosexual adolescent males go over my looks with such care

Comment

D1st0rt <SYSOPS> to the rescue!!!
        USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Priitk was always the owner over DoCk>, even with Sysop access if Priitk wanted to do something it happened. DoCk> was the same way but he was more fun on staff chat. Pure_Luck is the current head SMod so his job is to run the zone and watch over the other SMods. My job as as PR SMod is to keep abuse in check as well. There are other staffers with equal access as PL, on paper or in practice so PL is far from having absolute power.

We do need to start shifting some people around, getting good players and knowledgeable players into the right position faster. I think we need to change TWD a bit, allow a lower tier training division for newer players that can be operated by a 'real' TWD squad. It was sort of like the thing Sumpson was doing. There was an idea to change Robohelp so that it would give staffers sometime to answer the call, Ikrit and the developers were working a lot on the changes to TWD I think so maybe they'll get around to it.

Comment

don't diss Burzum at least he IS hosting

him and Left Eye are about the only staff that seem to be hosting at all we have like 22 <er> most of them do fuck all.

Aqua <ER> (Aka Aquatiq <ZH> & Aquatiq)
            A I <ER>
            Burzum <ER>
            Caco <ER>
            Chao <ER>
            Emaho <ER>
            Flibb <ER>
            Kaotix <ER>
            K O <ER>
            Left_Eye <ER>
            LSD <ER>
            Nickname <ER>
            Punk <ER>
            Revolt <ER>
            Royst <ER>
            Ronaldo <ER>
            Scoop <ER>
            War*Lok <ER>
            Whispus <ER>
            Zizzo <ER>
            ZzLiFezZ <ER>
            how many of these guys do you see regularly host or even host at all. Would be interesting to see the hosting stats from october....

We need to stop thinking the settings or map is wrong in the zone and look at the real problems. By making the zone too newb friendly you are stopping people becoming vets and turning players off the zone...

a year ago. when i started $flabby$ there were many squads for us to play and we got many regular games a big roster. now there just insnt the players. i just couldnt recuit anyone in $flabby$ and keep them this season so i gave up. idk whats happened... I think one the problem is its too easy to set up a twd squad...back when i created flabby you had to message twd staff for final authoriation to create a squad it too some work and some intellegence, now anyone without a brain can setup a squad so we end up with lots of crappy squads...which split the twd player base
            Last edited by Doc Flabby; 11-10-2006, 01:56 PM.
            Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
            Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

October 2006 has had the most hosted events for any October on record

ps. Aqua is a clutch turretwar host
              USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

You made alot of sense.

Deans dont listen to recommendations anymore as they used to in the past, and they recruit alot of their own friends, which in the end doesnt turn out to be the best choice. That's 1 problem on the hosting situation.

Not gonna say more, but there's alot of things to fix and only few willing.
                3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
                3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
                3:i.d.> da fk is that?
                3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
                3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
                3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
                3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
                3:Shadowmere> LOL
                3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
                Shadowmere> Rofl
                Up in ya !> With his feet
                Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
                Up in ya !> l44t feet
                Deft> l44t f44t*
                Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
                Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

How to fix zone? Make Fusha Event Referee!
                  7:No one can kill me> the lord with the hoard, got it in da smorgasbord - holla da dolla, taller than jan koller
                  7:No one can kill me> you noes its all about the euroes, its how you pay the hoes, the flows just goes
                  7:No one can kill me> its maddack, nobody else dats wack - he aint sellin crack its just the dollas on his back
                  7:No one can kill me> dollar2daeuro, its ur currency hero got any money you please, convertin wit da ease

Comment

I had this idea earlier about "doublesquadding" earlier but didnt think it would be worth posting since it would be too much work and none cares but I'll give it a go in here anyway.

Squads should be able to start up sister/cadet-squads to train new players.
                    For example, BasingCrew has it's sistersquad Qurion/Q-crew, it would be good if BasingCrew members are able to play TWD matches for Q-Crew, however Q-crew members should not be able to play TWD matches for BasingCrew.

This way squads can train and bring new players to the competitive gameplay.

What do we need for TW? people who are willing to put effort in stuff like this.
                    (same goes for the pub basing-competition idea I had.)
                    Only the loyal count.

Comment

Lol create bitch squads for you to piss around on when you can't get 8. What a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by D1st0rt View Post
                        October 2006 has had the most hosted events for any October on record

ps. Aqua is a clutch turretwar host
                        Ya but left eye <er> hosted 95% of those events

its not fair to just reley on one ER to host events. The load should be spread amounst the staffers.
                        Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                        Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Originally posted by Sumpson View Post
                          I had this idea earlier about "doublesquadding" earlier but didnt think it would be worth posting since it would be too much work and none cares but I'll give it a go in here anyway.

Squads should be able to start up sister/cadet-squads to train new players.
                          For example, BasingCrew has it's sistersquad Qurion/Q-crew, it would be good if BasingCrew members are able to play TWD matches for Q-Crew, however Q-crew members should not be able to play TWD matches for BasingCrew.

This way squads can train and bring new players to the competitive gameplay.

What do we need for TW? people who are willing to put effort in stuff like this.
                          (same goes for the pub basing-competition idea I had.)
                          Do you have the slightest idea of how much work this would involve?

Here's an idea: instead of relying on our current staff to do it for you, why don't you learn how to program bots and do it yourself?
                          7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
                          Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
                          TWLJ Champion Season 11
                          TWLB All-Star Season 10
                          Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

genocidal, you are the one bitching and pissing around in here. tell me why its a terrible idea instead.

voth, it is indeed allot of work and needs allot of coordination, this is why I didnt bring it up at first.
                            Only the loyal count.

Comment

you can bitch about staff problem all you want, but hosted events is one you need to leave off now. if anyone still bitch about not enough events getting hosted since the hiring of left_eye and chao, then you just dont play this game enough and don't know whats happening. And when you dont know whats going on, you should be posting on how to make this zone better
                              1 + 1 = 1

Comment

Working...
                              X