Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Personal Statement

my personal statement for uni:
    At 6th form I studied Media Studies, History and Philosophy and Ethics. I achieved B grades in all three of my subjects at A-Level. This is due to my ability to meet deadlines and work in groups when it is necessary. Throughout the two years that I studied these subjects, I have become increasingly interested in the English language. All three of my subjects are heavily dependant on structure and grammar, as they are subjects that require a lot of essays. At university I hope to be able to increase my ability and understanding of the English language by studying English Language. As I may choose a career in the media, it would really benefit me to learn about the various ways English can be used day to day, and in a variety of social contexts. This also interests me greatly.

As well as teaching me English language skills, my subjects have also taught me other skills. Media Studies has helped me learn about representations and why they exist the media, while Philosophy and Ethics has taught me a range of skills such as not to always accept what we are told and to look at the world in a different way. History has taught me why the world is like it is today and the reasons for it.

My hobbies include reading, music and computing. I read a lot of fiction novels and my favourite author is John Irving, as he writes fascinating stories in his own unique manner. Reading has definitely given me an interest in the English language. My interest in reading, a film and music stem from because I enjoy interpreting meaning from what is presented to me. It interests me the way in which language can reveal a person’s identity and status; and this is an important factor in both music and fiction. I have always enjoyed computing, both inside and outside studies. I studied GNVQ ICT, which helped me improve my ICT skills. I try to use computers whenever I can to aid my work. I often use the internet for research and word process whenever I can.

Over the past summer, I’ve had a full-time job working on a leisure park. This has helped me to work as a team, as well as giving me experience of what it is like to have a job in the workplace. In addition, this helped me build up confidence of meeting new people and improve my communication skills.

To balance my academic studies, I enjoy playing a lot of sport. I regularly play football, as well as sometimes jog to keep myself fit. I am a member of my local snooker club and play on a weekly basis. As well as this, I am a keen course fisherman, which I try to do whenever I can. Furthermore, I play golf, although not at club level. I am looking forward to the opportunities the university sport clubs will offer. I am planning to go travelling after I have completed my degree. I am trying to make the most of my youth and to not miss out on opportunities that I may later regret.

I believe that the time I spend at university will be one of the most enjoyable and rewarding times of my life. I realise the opportunities that a university degree will offer me, and intend to work consistently to achieve it. While academic work is obviously important, I realise that university is about meeting new people. I am definitely looking forward to and greatly anticipate this. I am a sociable person and am also looking forward to the independence that university offers.
    tips + ideas very welcome

I am a sociable person and am also looking forward to the independence that university offers. - Nailed

I am a sociable person and am also looking forward to the independence that university life offers. - Kthx

Sounds a tad better, other then that, it looks good. If anything expand a bit more on how the job you had taught you values like hard work etc.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

You have to write letters to get into uni?
      Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
        You have to write letters to get into uni?
        Yeah, they don't accept you from grades as much as they do personality. Especially when 1 in 4 students are getting A stars (best grade possible)

Comment

You don't have to write letters? Writing is probably second most important tool for colleges to see who fits and will do well, next to grades.

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed View Post
            My interest in reading, a film and music stem from because I enjoy interpreting meaning from what is presented to me.
            Should probably change it to this:

"My interest in reading, films, and music stem from my enjoyment of interpreting meaning from something that is presented to me."

You said it in kind of broken English, as "stem from because I" doesn't make any sense and the "a" before "film" is not necessary.

Glad to help.

EDIT: "Sport" should be plural. I enjoy playing a lot of sports.

EDIT 2: You said: "I regularly play football, as well as sometimes jog to keep myself fit."

I would change that to: "I play football no a regular basis, and jog occasionally in order to maintain good physical fitness."

EDIT 3: When you said: "As well as this,"

I would change that to: "In addition,"
            7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
            Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
            TWLJ Champion Season 11
            TWLB All-Star Season 10
            Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

yeah, i just noticed that. it's because i kept adding and deleting words, now now it makes no sense. i changed it to
              My passion of reading and music stems from my interest and enjoyment of interpreting my own meaning from both music and books.
              although i'm not sure i totally like that.

i also need to add an opening line to the whole thing.
              Last edited by NaiLed; 11-10-2006, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Man, that brings back memories.

Comment

of last year.

Comment

My passion of reading and music stems from my interest and enjoyment of interpreting my own meaning from both music and books.

Change of to for.

As an opening line, I actually like how you have it now, it makes it look very formal, but if you want to add your little personal touch to it, I would suggest perhaps starting out with a favorite quote of yours. Also you should add a reason why you want to join THEIR university, it looks like you could be sending this letter to 50 different colleges. Making it seem like you took the time to do some research about their college will make them think you have been wanting to go there for awhile.
                    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                      Also you should add a reason why you want to join THEIR university, it looks like you could be sending this letter to 50 different colleges. Making it seem like you took the time to do some research about their college will make them think you have been wanting to go there for awhile.
                      i'll be sending it to 6 different universities =]

the only one i really want to go to is Cardiff, but i can't just address it to them.

and i agree with you about the opening line. I've been told be teachers that I should add one, but a lot of the things they ask me to change aren't all that good.

Comment

But you are talking about your future here, you should write six letters, and change a few things in each of them, explaining why you want to join (college you are applying for here) them. It will really make the letter you write stand out that much more if you tell them their school is the one you wanted to go to, even if you are lying. Because if only 1/100 people applying with a letter mention things they like about their school, then only 1/100 people stand out from the 10000 people applying. Would you want to be 1/10000, or 100/10000.
                        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                          But you are talking about your future here, you should write six letters, and change a few things in each of them
                          Not possible, applications are done online over here through one system and they only take one letter and pass it onto the uni(s).

Comment

I wasn't aware of that, in Texas I have helped 3-4 of my friends write college application letters, that they sent through the mail, perhaps if you can you should, that would -=really=- get their attentions about you.
                            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

For most studies you just apply to the uni, and you get in. A few studies have limited spots. It is mostly though because our high school system is different.
                              Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Working...
                              X