Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs

I have always loved dogs. But until now, I never was mature enough, or financially responsible enough to want to own one. But I know how emotionally needy dogs are, and I am trying to research if it would be ethical for someone with my lifestyle to get one. I usually work about 40-50 hours a week, and I live alone---and I don't expect either of those two things to change.

Does anyone have any experience with dog psychology or know what a dog's social needs are? Is it ethical to leave a dog unattended for about 1/3 of the day, about 5-6 days out of the week?

fuck the dogs, get the blow up dolls
    sigpic
    All good things must come to an end.

Comment

We have 2 dogs.. and they are home alone all the time. Certainly a while back when I was at school all day and my mom worked all day, It's no problem for them, but they are golden retrievers. They don't need that much of attention or walks. There are also dogs that need a lot of walks and movement and attention. However, if you get a dog and you get a puppy, you are going to have to invest a lot of time in it in the beginning. So in your situation I would recommend getting an older dog and getting well informed on the situation of that dog and what he has been through so far.
      Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Subjugation View Post
        and I live alone---and I don't expect either of those two things to change.
        =[

Comment

Sub is still holding out for LB, he knows there is still a chance!
          Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Not ThiX View Post
            =[
            Lol. I just mean you never know what the future will bring, and I hate having roomates. I appreciate the concern, though. ^-^

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
              Sub is still holding out for LB, he knows there is still a chance!
              because they are both off-white, right?
              Originally posted by turmio
              jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
              Originally posted by grand
              I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Rottweilers are the best dogs all around.
                Smart, loyal, playful, protective & independant & intimidating to outsiders.
                Get one as a puppy, keep it in a small cage kennel while you work & to assist in housebreaking, give it only 'dog toys' to play with & take it out when you wake up, finish work & before going to bed.

Comment

hm

Dog died in june =(

Comment

Originally posted by Pummel View Post
                    Dog died in june =(
                    That's the down side of dogs & having pets.
                    Dogs average about 15 years. Ours is almost half way there. My heart's gonna shatter when that day comes. Then I'm gonna get another Rotty.

Comment

hm

Originally posted by HeavenSent View Post
                      That's the down side of dogs & having pets.
                      Dogs average about 15 years. Ours is almost half way there. My heart's gonna shatter when that day comes. Then I'm gonna get another Rotty.
                      He was only 11, had a liver tumor.

Comment

Originally posted by Subjugation View Post
                        I have always loved dogs. But until now, I never was mature enough, or financially responsible enough to want to own one. But I know how emotionally needy dogs are, and I am trying to research if it would be ethical for someone with my lifestyle to get one. I usually work about 40-50 hours a week, and I live alone---and I don't expect either of those two things to change.

Does anyone have any experience with dog psychology or know what a dog's social needs are? Is it ethical to leave a dog unattended for about 1/3 of the day, about 5-6 days out of the week?
                        This might seem weird, but you should consider getting two dogs instead of one... they keep each other company.
                        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

ya like degs?
                          USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

lol

Originally posted by bloodzombie View Post
                            This might seem weird, but you should consider getting two dogs instead of one... they keep each other company.
                            If you're getting two dogs, don't get rotweillers =P

Comment

Actually, I should have mentioned this earlier---if I get one, it would be a Labrador Retriever. They have great reputations as snow and water dogs, which is important to me.

I appreciate everyone's contributions, by the way. Oh, and thanks BZ. I hadn't really thought about getting two. But that's definitely an option I should consider.

Comment

Working...
                              X