Does Money Equal Happiness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Money Equal Happiness?

Every time I pass by an aging apartment building filled with dirty, naked kitchens and weeds making their way through the tattered toys of an overgrown lawn I wonder if the inhabitants are happy. Every time I think back to the endless shouting my parents bombarded one another with over child support and house/car/insurance/etc. payments I wonder if it was money (or the lack thereof) that ruined their marriage. Every time I needed money for the school yearbook or to continue playing soccer I remember dreading asking my Mom, as I always knew the answer would be "Ask your father." Every time I see a picture of a bare-boned infant with it's belly swelled from starvation, or another equally tiny soul frozen naked, I wonder if it is my duty as a white privileged male in one of the wealthiest nations in the world to live up to the monetary potential bestowed upon me and make as much money as possible. Every time I think I will fulfill that American Dream I wonder if it's worth sacrificing my soul, my life for given that it could all end any second or that my charitable donations will mysteriously never reach those in need. Every time I sit down and try and figure out what I want to do with my life I can't help but wonder, does money equal happiness?
    Originally posted by Vatican Assassin
    i just wish it was longer
    Originally posted by Cops
    it could have happened in the middle of a park at 2'oclock in the afternoon while your parents were at work and I followed you around all afternoon.

man i wonder the same thing i'm going through some similar situations to the ones you went through. see my mom and dad are divorced and my mom tries to always buy me the nice clothes and get me into good soccer teams and pay for mostly everything, but my dad never buys shit. this leads to my mom having to get another job at a bar and leads to her smoking/drinking (she quit both of those a long time ago and now acts like she doesnt do it, but i always find cigarette packages in her car). my step-dad opposes the smoking a ton and she just won't stop. with less money, less money and it gets really tough between my mom and my step-dad. i actually think they're getting a divorce soon. about a week ago my step-dad came into my room and said "i love you ryan" and i havnt seen him since then actually and i wonder if only my mom had more money then they wouldn't argue all the time and things would be better.

i don't think money is necessary for happiness and that people can be happy w/out it, but i think it relieves a lot of stress which also leads to overall more happiness
    Gun remembers.

Comment

I think lack of money is a barrier to happiness. Having it removes that barrier. You still need to actually achieve happiness through other means though. I can never tell if people are being serious or just screwing around though. I have the feeling that if I said "Wow thats rough" one of you would reply with "L0LZLOILZ FAGG0T I WAZNT SRIOUS!" *shrug*
      Spider
      Formerly EEK! A Spider!
      Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

Comment

i AM happiness

Comment

It's hard to say... I think that ultimately true happiness can't be bought, but I've been a lot more happy MATERIALISTICALLY now that I'm working and have the cash to buy things that I've wanted but couldn't afford.

But then again, it also makes me happy to be fit, hang out with friends, etc. Stuff that money doesn't play a part in.

So I guess it does equal happiness, to a degree. But I also think that it's insufficient as a "happiness modifier" by itself.
          TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
          TelCat> hoes get paid :(
          TelCat> i dont

Comment

I'dd say money gives you more Freedom of making your own choises.

How many people goto work, just to get the salary? With alot of money, you are more of "choise" to choose what you really want. What you do with "your freedom" is up to yourself. So it doesn't automaticly makes you happy.

Comment

money can't buy you happiness, but it does make life comfortable.

Money is just bits of paper with a number written on, or number on a computer screen when it comes down to it.
              Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
              Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

I kinda agree with Spider.. money isn't so much happiness itself, but not having a lot means you have to struggle which puts a strain on you and everyone around you, which causes friction.

When you have money it's easier to focus on other things, family, friends and whatever you need to make you happy. You are not occupied with the thoughts about money.
                Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Aside from obviously having more choices than most people do (getting laid 24/7 by supermodels and seeing the world), having money significantly minimizes the damage caused by your stupid decisions. Two obvious examples are health and freedom:

Example A: You have unprotected sex and get AIDS

If you're rich: You can afford the AIDS cocktail, and survive like Magic Johnson.
                  If you're poor: You're fucked for life. Enjoy your slow and painful death.

Example B: You murder your cheating wife and her boyfriend

If you're rich: You hire the best legal defense team and ban evade like OJ Simpson.
                  If you're poor: Enjoy being prison raped for life---that is, if you're lucky enough to avoid the gas chamber.

Comment

Having money means you can sleep with hot girls, so definitely happiness, yes.
                    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Money isnt the key to happiness, but if you have enough money you can get a key made.

Being poor when you are young can be 'fun', just you and your girlfriend/wife against the world. My wife and I went through this, found we could be happy together no matter how much money we had.

But I am here to tell you that being poor (and the hassles it can cause) gets old fast.

Comment

i've been poor as fuck since i moved out to start school....and its been the best time of my life. gg.

Comment

yes!!!

Comment

When you are still young, student for example, you tend to care less about money and how much you got. I have been in the - figures for months now, all I need to do is ask for loans from the government, from the institution that pays students, for a couple of months and I'll be set for a while again.
                            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X