Just how stupid can school be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how stupid can school be?

(CBS) PLAINFIELD, Ill. A 13-year-old Plainfield boy and his parents are stunned and outraged after the teen found a gun in school and turned it in to authorities, who then expelled him.

CBS 2's Dana Kozlov reports Ryan Morgan's parents and supporters attended the school board meeting Wednesday evening to try to fight the expulsion. They believe the punishment, and the subsequent alternative school option, are not the proper responses to a mistake made by a teenage boy.

Ryan Morgan, 13, says he pocketed a pellet gun he and a friend found in their school's bathroom to keep people safe. Morgan's mother says a short time later Morgan gave the gun to the Troy Middle School assistant principal.

"I told him maybe that wasn't the best decision, to remove that gun, but it did lead to you finding the culprit, he was arrested and to put my son in alternative school -- he has no behavior problems," Audrey Morgan, Ryan's mother, said.

The Morgans say there was no reasoning with the principal or with the school superintendent.

"He said, 'The board can give your son full two-year expulsion, I'm asking you not to go before them,'" Audrey Morgan said.

They went anyway, saying they had nothing to lose, only to see the meeting minutes already recommend expulsion.

Roy Morgan says he can't accept that, but accepts his son's decision.

"He said 'I'm going to turn this in' and you know what, I commend my son for making that decision. It was the right decision," he said.

School board officials issued a statement Wednesday night saying due to confidentiality reasons they can't discuss the specifics of this case, but that "purposeful possession of weapons is a serious offense and deserves careful consideration by the administration and the school board."
    http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_348001946.html
    1 + 1 = 1

wow
    violence> dont talk 2 me until u got 900+fbook friends and can take 1 dribble from the 3 point line n dunk

[Aug 23 03:03] Oops: 1:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life
    [Aug 23 03:20] money: LOL NOT QUITE VIO BUT 5:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life

Comment

Yeah, I know. Isn't this the dumbest thing a school can do? Next time a kid at that school finds a weapon they'll either keep it and keep quiet or leave it and let some other disturbed, hostile & crazy kid find it so they can hurt someone.
      If my kid went to that school, he/she wouldn't after this BS.
      This is one of the many & major reasons why we homeschool our kid. :annoyed:

Comment

I don't think we can criticise this until we know both sides of the story. He may have found the gun, pocketed it and his "turning it in" could have been someone finding it on him.
        USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
        ---A few minutes later---
        9:cool koen> you scorereseted
        9:Kim> UM
        9:Kim> i didn't
        9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
        9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
        9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
        9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenSent View Post
          This is one of the many & major reasons why we homeschool our kid. :annoyed:
          What about letting them become properly socially adjusted? There's more to school than just school.
          USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Originally posted by D1st0rt View Post
            What about letting them become properly socially adjusted? There's more to school than just school.
            yeah dude homeschooled kids are creepy
            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by D1st0rt View Post
              Tell me something i haven't heard. There's just as many kids with just as many problems going to public & private schools. "Breakfast Club" is a great example. Our daughter gets her share of "class" during her summercamp with the park district. She's been playing SS since she was 5 & she's doing just fine socially, thank you for your concern. -_-

Comment

Sorry to say this, homeschool kids never do well socially.

Comment

Originally posted by Pummel View Post
                  Sorry to say this, homeschool kids never do well socially.
                  I think you take great joy in saying it.
                  I wish I was homeschooled. It's not like she's an introvert/extrovert or abnormal from other kids. I think the only abnormality is that she's not exposed to the undisciplined & thoughtless children or the wackos with some godless agenda. I just don't trust my child in the care of strangers... and I know schools are infested with many things I'd rather be in control of when the time comes for an introduction into sensitive topics. ^-^

Comment

I wish I was homeschooled. It's not like she's an introvert/extrovert or abnormal from other kids. I think the only abnormality is that she's not exposed to the undisciplined & thoughtless children or the wackos with some godless agenda. I just don't trust my child in the care of strangers... and I know schools are infested with many things I'd rather be in control of when the time comes for an introduction into sensitive topics. ^-^
                    But that's what makes kids, kids.

Comment

Oh..you're one of 'those' parents.

Comment

How can you home school your kids unless you are some kind prodigy who is a scholar on every subject. How can you presume to raise a smart kid when you home school it. Do you everything about science, about math, about geography, etc. etc. etc.
                        Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

just cause theyre homeschooled doesnt mean you cant hire em tudors. ive been considering this lately now that the new town we moved to is full of tweekers....
                          Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
                          1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
                          Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
                          caco <ER>> )Oo
                          caco <ER>> bot thief!
                          caco <ER>> duel me for it
                          Evasive <E> no!
                          Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                            yeah dude homeschooled kids are creepy
                            real creepy.
                            Originally posted by turmio
                            jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                            Originally posted by grand
                            I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                              How can you home school your kids unless you are some kind prodigy who is a scholar on every subject. How can you presume to raise a smart kid when you home school it. Do you everything about science, about math, about geography, etc. etc. etc.
                              Our child has consistantly kept ahead of her peers on her finals. In other words, she's always been a year ahead in her studies of kids her age.
                              A good teacher doesn't have to know all the answers, just how to find them.
                              If you've chatted with her online you wouldn't believe you were chatting with a 10 year old.

Comment

Working...
                              X