Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point would you super-relgious types admit that you're wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what point would you super-relgious types admit that you're wrong?

Suppose you get hit by a bus tomorrow, and find yourself in some afterlife that is completely not what you expected? What would your first thought be? I don't want to hear how you think this is impossible, because I don't give a crap that you think it's impossible. I think it's very possible, and this is my thread.

I'm just curious, though. If you know you've died, and you don't meet up with St. Peter or whatever, instead, say, Mr. Rogers makes you spin the wheel from the Price is Right and you only get in to heaven if you get close enough to totalling 1.00, would you STILL think "man, this is our lord and savior Jesus Christ testing us still" or would you be like "god dammit, I was duped." At what point would you give up your belief?
    5:gen> man
    5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

The only thing one can know about heaven is that it's perfect.

There is no pearly gates, no angels on clouds playing harps and certainly no bouncer checking a list. Heaven is indescribable because the soul does not have senses, therefore the afterlife has to be beyond those senses and it's impossible to imagine that.

That's something I've arrived at through logical thought, not bible verses.

Comment

I asked "what if the afterlife is not what you expected"... What if you die and heaven is NOT perfect? What if it's totally sweet, but there are just a shitload of mosquitos? Your whole beyond the senses stuff was wrong, because you can feel the mosquitos and it's really annoying?

Comment

It'd be a downer, but I'm not a christian for the afterlife.

I'm a bit of a rarity it seems, the afterlife doesn't interest me that much.

Comment

Okay, but you get to the afterlife, and God isn't there. It's completely different stuff. A severed hippopotamus head is in charge. He puts everyone who believed in Noah's ark and all that stuff in the basement to do paperwork and lets everyone who didn't believe any of that do all the fun stuff. It's like that for 100 years, a thousand years, you're doing paperwork with all your church buddies. Are you still waiting for Jesus/God to come around and fill you with joy at that point? Or are you like "oh, shit..."

Comment

Humans have a innate need to 'believe', it has been proven in behavior experiments. Young children yearn to believe, and are gullible and open to believe almost anything. So my opinion is that if religion were to be indisputably proven incorrect, (like aliens arrive and prove they began mankind) humans would find other things to believe in.

Comment

If I'm in the afterlife then surely that proves the existence of God in some form or another, be it giant hippopatmus or whatever? lol. I may realise some of my beliefs were wrong but the core of it wasn't, if i'm in heaven.

Comment

Face are u atheist?
                Last edited by Sleuth; 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM.
                1:abbot> i think i played well
                1:brookus> abbot last time i checked YOU lost
                1:brookus> so im going to say that YOU sucked as well

7:Sleuth> HOW DO YOU FUCKS SAY CRACKER
                7:Vue> WE SAY CRACKER
                7:Vue> U DIPSHIT

7:Rampage Jackson> wtf are you guys drunk or 15?
                7:Vue> lol jackson when sleuth is online everyone becomes 15

oar> i got rejected from Stray
                oar> and both of their caps are on my personal chat
                oar> but its ok

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Superted View Post
                    It'd be a downer, but I'm not a christian for the afterlife.
                    I wish others were like you, I kinda hate to think how many act "christian" in an effort to be rewarded with a spot in heaven :turned:
                    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Facetious
                      At what point would you super-relgious types admit that you're wrong?
                      Being a former super-religious type, I can say that I admitted I was wrong when I learned to think on my own. It happened when I moved away from the influence of my friends and the city I was in.

And I know that sounds cliche for this type of topic, but it's true.
                      Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

If you have no believe/religion you end up being an absurdist. You don't want to be an absurdist, believe me.

I don't believe in heaven, but I imagine I would be pretty sore if I die and someone's there to tell me that I wasted too much of my life to go to heaven.
                        On the other hand I don't think you have a bigger chance of getting to heaven because you acknowledge heaven.
                        I would be more interested in people's interpretation of the book of Job.
                        You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Child indoctrination is one of the most clever ruses of religion ever. I've recently decided to shed my religion - yeah, I've been a terrible, terrible person but I'd claim to be a baptist - and though I've made the conscious choice to not be religious, a little part of me still winces and thinks "Man, God's going to be pissed" when something happens... 'cause I've been brought up religious since birth.

Alot of people say that's the Divine Being working in you, but I'd say it's the Divine Pavlov's Dog.
                          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Superted, the Bible speaks much about Heaven. If you ever read the book of Revelation, you will learn much about what Heaven is like. There are pearly gates, there are angels (maybe not on clouds, or playing harps) but there will be angels singing praise to the Lord, and if I can ever put it reverantly, there is a bouncer checking the list, not Peter, but all give an account to Jesus Christ and if their name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life (meaning, if they are saved). As well, there is no point of Christianity without the afterlife, otherwise your salvation is either in vain or is very weak. You must realize the depths of Christ's love to save us from hell, and you must realize the importance of our being in Heaven as well. Our purpose for life on earth, and life in Heaven is to glorify God, simple as that. I believe in Heaven we won't be playing games, or eating from all you can eat menus, or anything like that, but we will be constantly singing praises to our King.

As to the original point of the thread, Facetious, the point of my being isn't that if things go wrong, I can say, "Well even if this isn't true, the Christian life was a good life to live" the point is IT IS TRUE! Despite your warning, it is impossible! There is no other way but through Jesus Christ. God's Word is infailable, not one error, without lies or misleadings. Period. God's promises never fail, nor does His judgement.
                            May my ambition be, more love of Christ to thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                              Child indoctrination is one of the most clever ruses of religion ever.
                              Zappa = new idol, apparently?

Comment

Working...
                              X