TWMaps Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWMaps Guidelines

Hey, all! Since i'm now head of mapdev I figured I should set up some guidelines for you (future)mapdevers! So here we go: (many thanks to sertifi for helping me)

An important request:

Everybody wants a map in Trench Wars to show off to their e-friends, to show their coolness, and whats a better way to achieve that then making a maze, jav arena or a base? Well, I would like to tell you that only the BEST bases will be accepted, same goes for jav arena’s and mazes. You can have 1000 different mazes so it’s not hard to make one for tw, so that’s why I would like to tell you that you should only make a maze when a) it’s brilliant, or b) if you have custom settings and a different gameplay.

Hints to mapmaking:
    If you are not a mapmaker but are interested in making maps/graphics/sounds/settings, but have no idea how, go to www.freewebs.com/devme or www.shanky.com/server If you need more help on any subject you can always ask any of our dev-members (see the list on bottom).

Map testing
    If you have a map and want to test it ask one of our dev-member if they want to upload it to dev zone, because our dev-members can give you suggestions on the map, settings, graphics, etc.

About settings:
    If you got told by a dev-member that your map is good enough for tw and you need settings for it, you can do 2 things:
    1) Ask a dev member to do the settings in dev with your assistance or
    2) include it in the e-mail, and be as specific as possible not like this "AVERAGE FIRE DELAY PLOX IWTH FAST PHEW PHEW AND EZ BIG BOMBING SO I CAN EZ SOME NEWBS" but
    "Warbird: 200 energy to shoot a bomb, you can shoot a bomb every 2 seconds, lvl1 bullet does 1750 damage, ..." Then when we check the email and do your settings we will leave you a ?message or pm you if you want to test it with us.

A little more about settings:
    Bullets work as following: You pick a damage for lvl1 bullets, ex: BulletDamageLevel=520 now you can set a value named BulletDamageUpgrade, this value is the amount of extra damage each bullet level will cause, i.e: BulletDamageLevel=520 and BulletDamageUpgrade=1000 this means Lv1 will do 520 damage, lvl2 will do 1520 damage and lvl3 will do 2520 damage.
    Bombs work as following: You set a value for how much damage a bomb causes at its center point and this is for ALL bombs, I.e BombDamageLevel=2650 this will be for all bombs! So how comes lev bombs are much stronger then javelin bombs, well the answer is in BombExplodePixels=150, this is the blast radius in pixels for an L1 bomb (L2 bombs doubles this, L3 bombs triples this) so that’s why the lev bombs seems stronger then the jav bomb.

->When sending the e-mail:<-
    When you have your settings and map ready, follow these steps:
    1) To: TWMaps@gmail.com
    2) Subject: ?go ArenaName (i.e. ?go javracers)
    3) Message: If you dont have your settings, then explain what you want the settings to be like. If you want the same settings than there is in ?go javs, then request "Same settings as ?go javs please". Explain a bit about the map, and if you STILL need help with it, request it in the e-mail. However if possible, we ask you to finish the maps with the help of TWDev members if possible. You can also request the TWDev member to send the e-mail.

Joining TWDev:
    We all know that TWDev is like the coolest thing to be on in Trench Wars and only the best can join.. so I would just like to say that TWDev is invite only. We wont say who can invite you to twdev because you will all just spam him, but we have active twdev members who spend a lot of time in dev zone and if we think you are capable of doing dev work for trench wars and if we think you can join, we will let you know! Don’t ask for it 10x a day please. J

About TWMaps staff
    There are currently 4 active members who check the TWMaps email. Some of you probably know who they are, so I want to ask you not to hurry them to get the maps to Trench Wars. We have our standards and if we deny your map, please don’t make a scene about it.

People to contact when problems occur/you need help:
    Sertifi,
    Dads Revenge,
    Barton,
    Duel Pasta,
    Lizard Fuel,

-Duel Pasta & SeRtIfI

If you have any questions at all or any suggestions don't hesitate to tell us!

EDIT: Riistar> http://www.kolumbus.fi/sakari.aura/contmapdevguide.html
    Last edited by duel pasta; 05-18-2007, 07:50 PM. Reason: added lizard fuel to contact list
    help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    can i join twdev
    7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
    Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
    TWLJ Champion Season 11
    TWLB All-Star Season 10
    Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

Uhh -_- "Only the BEST bases will be accepted" I hope there is some communication going on between dev and the map maker in this "judgment". I understand automatically filtering out the pieces of crap that come to being by total newbies who steal tilesets, but I don't want to wait 2 weeks to be told that a map I made and know is better than half of what's already in TW didn't quite make the cut. Do you guys talk to the map submittors once they've reached the front of the queue?

Also, if there's any justice, take down the "SaveTW" arena that Aorta and Heroin Bob sit in, it'd be good PR.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquatiq View Post
        Uhh -_- "Only the BEST bases will be accepted" I hope there is some communication going on between dev and the map maker in this "judgment". I understand automatically filtering out the pieces of crap that come to being by total newbies who steal tilesets, but I don't want to wait 2 weeks to be told that a map I made and know is better than half of what's already in TW didn't quite make the cut. Do you guys talk to the map submittors once they've reached the front of the queue?
        Yeah, we will get you to dev zone and talk about the map/base. But what I actually ment with 'best' bases is that we don't accept the bases where people removed like on tile in mid and added one in fr. But if you make a base and it doesn't look like any other base in tw and it adds that little extra it will most likely be accepted. Now we will always listen to what you have to say, before we approve/deny maps we always upload them to dev zone and we will most likely contact you about it. This is also why I'm asking not to make too much bases, because we really have tons of bases same applies for mazes and javarena's. We could use some new idea's, unique events, graphics etc.

EDIT: one thing tho' I'm only head to MAPDev that is a different thing then twmaps, I manage the going ons from dev members and watch for people who have potentiol to be in TWDev. F22 Raptor is still head of TWMaps
        Last edited by duel pasta; 01-29-2007, 02:25 PM.
        help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

Comment

Just remember to have that something extra on a base. Good example of this is ?go F22Base - It is like no other base in Trench Wars, it is very nicely made, a lot different from any other map in TW, ability to go from MidBase to roof etc.. Yet it has the Trench Wars style: Tube, MidBase, FlagRoom.

I might say here, that we are currently very full of javmaps, so please put your imagination running, and come up with different kinds of events rather than just maps alone.
          3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
          3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
          3:i.d.> da fk is that?
          3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
          3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
          3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
          3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
          3:Shadowmere> LOL
          3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
          Shadowmere> Rofl
          Up in ya !> With his feet
          Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
          Up in ya !> l44t feet
          Deft> l44t f44t*
          Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
          Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

If you want a fully featured Map editor - try DCME
            Maverick
            Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
            Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
            Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
            Subspace Statistics Administrator
            Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
              If you want a fully featured Map editor - try DCME
              Yeah, I would recomend you the link maverick just gave you! DCME is the newest elite map editor with lots of extra like extra tiles and such and they are still working on it. Thx mav

Comment

It seems the download at the DCME website isn't working - here is the link to the forum which has the download.
                Maverick
                Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
                Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
                Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
                Subspace Statistics Administrator
                Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

You can add me to the TwDev contact list. I'm on every single night, and I will help anyone who needs it.

Comment

Many people have problems with DCME when they start it. It seems to report some module or file missing. And your better off with restarting your computer first.
                    DL the required files here.
                    http://forums.sscentral.com/index.php?showtopic=12845

If that doesn't work
                    Just add the missing file at the end of this URL:
                    http://www.ascentive.com/support/new...phtml?dllname=

i.e.
                    http://www.ascentive.com/support/new...e=COMDLG32.OCX

Just follow the instrutions on that site and you should be fine.
                    Last edited by The Unliked One...; 01-30-2007, 12:19 PM.
                    2:Galaxy Turbo> Jab?
                    2:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> what...
                    2:Galaxy Turbo> Who would be your dream woman?
                    2:Unliked <ER>> i bet kim
                    2:Galaxy Turbo> Lol...
                    2:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> afk
                    --
                    1:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> <-- Life
                    1:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> GG

Comment

SSME + notepad > all

Comment

i've been interested making a map for some quite time now, thanks.
                        TWLD Champion 2014
                        TWDTB Champion 2013
                        TWDTB Champion 2016
                        TWDTB Champion 2017
                        TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
                        -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Comment

Originally posted by Aquatiq View Post

Also, if there's any justice, take down the "SaveTW" arena that Aorta and Heroin Bob sit in, it'd be good PR.
                          staff newbs getting angry at a map *cry about it* go suck rudy off some more.
                          1:Aorta> Im banned again...
                          1:Banned4Life> dont talk to staff, dont do help calls, dont respond to staff unless u get a pm that says you have to respond or be banned, dont tk, dont talk in pub .....

5:Mike_Hawk <ZH>> i hate you because your name has more vowels than constenants

Comment

Start adding your Nickname in your emails!

it is alot ezer for us to pm ingame then emailing back. (longer response time)

Thank you,

Barton
                            SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
                            SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
                            Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
                            Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
                            1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
                            1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

Working...
                            X