PDA

View Full Version : The Tim Hardaway Deal

Squeezer
02-15-2007, 09:58 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6476572?MSNHPHMA

For those of you that don't watch ESPN 24/7 like I do, John Amaechi, a NBA player (he played like three seasons, put up so-so numbers and did okay while he was in the league) came out of the closet recently and announced that he was a homosexual. Most people, like David Stern, Steve Nash, and Kobe Bryant released statements either saying they didn't care, or that they disagreed with the lifestyle, but it's his choice and as long as it didn't affect the guy's play, or the team he represented, then it wouldn't matter.

Then there's Tim Hardaway, who reacted to the news by saying, "I hate gay people" and "They don't belong here in America, or anywhere else in the world."

Setting aside Hardaway's obviously bigoted comments, I was struck by something that Leborn said in regards to the whole situation. He said that while he has no real opinion on homosexuality, he would feel betrayed if one of his teammates hid a secret like that. He later stated that trust is the main component that keeps a team happy and on the winning side of games.

With that being stated, do you believe that we as a culture are ready to accept homosexuals into sporting events? Sports have always carried that certain machismo that other activities don't, and like it or not homosexuality has been stereotyped as a more effeminate lifestyle. Could this possibly change the face of sports and the way we view certain activities/lifestyles?

More so, for those of us out there that played a few sports in our day, how would you react if one of your teammates (someone that was not only your coworker, but in a way, your friend) decided to come out?

Or.....DISCUSS!

Pearl Jam
02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't care if someone hates homosexuals or not, if you're a recognizable person to millions, you have to be pretty fucking stupid and either naive or incredibly egotistical to say something like "I hate gay people" to the media.

iKillburger
02-15-2007, 10:12 PM
It might get a little awkward in the showers/locker room

genocidal
02-15-2007, 10:15 PM
He's a retard. Got no idea why people care what he thinks now anyways. Great, he's a bigot. So are a lot of retards, let's move on.

Facetious
02-15-2007, 11:53 PM
I think it'll be a long, long time before a current player comes out in sports. As far as the people I know, the more jock-like they are, the more they throw the words faggot and gay around, and that kind of thing really affects the comfort level of a gay person. One of my buddies is gay, and my friends say gay a lot, and faggot occasionally, and it took him a long time to come out to us, I think to a large degree because of that.

Not to mention that it seems like a ton of athletes never grew up. It would be tough to grow up given that they probably hardly remember a time when they weren't constantly told how great they are on one hand and then get screamed at by a paternal authority figure on the other hand. Most adults get over the sort of schoolyard teasing stuff, but I could see if a lot of pro athletes don't.

I have no knowledge of how gay people are accepted in a more, let's say, "urban" social setting either, I think that might be a factor as well.

People that are homophobes because of their religion aren't going to change their minds anytime soon, and people that are homophobes because they are repressing their own homosexuality are in the same boat. In my opinion, that's the vast majority of homophobes.

I kind of understand the locker room thing, the gym I go to has these really creepy dudes that like walk around naked for like 20 minutes, they brush their teeth naked, floss naked, and look at everybody weird. I don't know what the fuck that's about. It's always really ugly old dudes, too, the last thing I want to catch out of the corner of my eye. One guy even was using the hairdryer to dry his ass hair after he brushed his teeth naked. The thing is, it's not that those old dudes are gay that bothers me, it's that they are being fucking creepy. I'm sure there are plenty of gay dudes that act normal in there and that doesn't bother me at all.

genocidal
02-16-2007, 12:43 AM
One guy even was using the hairdryer to dry his ass hair after he brushed his teeth naked.
Very hot.

Nickname
02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
i'm not really weighing in on the subject, but don't always assume that because a guy is gay, he's feminine. A guy I used to work with told me that he was gay, and I actually didn't believe him, I thought he was putting one over on me, but I eventually met his bf, and realised he wasn't lying. This guy, is the single most sports loving, beer drinking, cigar smoking, macho dude I've ever met in my entire life. He wasn't some dumb jock or meathead, but he loved what he loved, and probably came across mroe straight than everybody else who worked there. Just something to consider.

gran guerrero
02-18-2007, 11:28 PM
i'm not really weighing in on the subject, but don't always assume that because a guy is gay, he's feminine. A guy I used to work with told me that he was gay, and I actually didn't believe him, I thought he was putting one over on me, but I eventually met his bf, and realised he wasn't lying. This guy, is the single most sports loving, beer drinking, cigar smoking, macho dude I've ever met in my entire life. He wasn't some dumb jock or meathead, but he loved what he loved, and probably came across mroe straight than everybody else who worked there. Just something to consider.

we call that the BUTCH in the relationship.

sonlox
02-19-2007, 11:57 AM
wow thats some messed up shit

froedrick
02-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I find the whole situation hilarious...I grew up as a jock playing hockey and baseball all the time. And I donno what it's like in other parts, but the jocks and hockey players are the guys who say and do some of the gayest shit (only for laughs I guess) Like rubbing their dicks on another guys face. I'd literally see stupid shit like that everyday. Funny enough after highschool one of the guys I played with came out. I only dislike him cause he's extremely arrogant.
I hope Tim Hardaway isn't one of these guys who screams and moans when he hears a racist comment against black people. Cause that would be just great.

Squeezer
02-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I hope Tim Hardaway isn't one of these guys who screams and moans when he hears a racist comment against black people. Cause that would be just great.

Now that would be fucking hilarious. Where's Michael Richards when we need him?