PDA

View Full Version : Francisco Liriano out for 2007 season?? tell me its not so

404 Not Found
02-19-2007, 01:53 PM
This sucks...was hoping to see him kick ass this year. Liriano must have the strongest arm in baseball...at least he did last year with some of the fastest clocked throws I had seen. This was probably why he killed his arm too...if he's out all season, I am assuming that he is getting Tommy John surgery.

Sucks for the Twins this year...I thought that a healthy Twins team could make the run again this year. I am not sure how they will do it without Liriano?

Yes it's baseball talk!

Lots of questionable teams this year. Mets rotation sucks, Indians...hmmm Red Sox?? I will say that the Yankee's are looking strong on paper so far.

genocidal
02-19-2007, 05:11 PM
I knew he had to have surgery but I thought he was still hopeful for the second half of the season - sucks for the Twins in either case though. With Radke gone their rotation is hurting. After Santana and Bonser they are garbage - and Mauer+Morneau+Cuddyer won't be able to hit enough home runs to fix it.

Now I'll talk about what I care about - NL East.

The Phillies are looking quite good. Of course locking up one of the best run producers, one of the best shortstops, and the best second-basemen (possibly second only to Uggla) will provide a solid base for your team but I'm impressed with their offseason pitching pickups. The Phillies have enough on-base and run production to turn guys like Freddy Garcia and Jamie Moyer into 15+ game winners (taking nothing away from those pitchers' talents but Moyer is now very old). Tom Gordon is always a help.

Like you said, the Mets are struggling. Glavine and El Duque are aging but I think they've both still got it in them to be 15 game winners. The problem is their health and the guys behind them (i.e. no one save for Park, who isn't much). Though John Maine could surprise, I wouldn't place bets on this team. David Wright and Jose Reyes are essentially the only pieces this club plans to build their team around as of now. Everyone else is either old or shitty. Last year looked like their best oppurtunity. But who knows? Maybe Pedro will come back earlier than expected and Glavine will win 20 games.

The Marlins will continue to improve - the only questions is how much. Their roster is relatively unchanged with the only significant loss being Joe Borowski. They've got people like Taylor Tankersley who might be able to fill the closer role but inexperience is always bad in the closer role (as the 06 Braves can attest to). Continue to look for solid pitching from Dontrelle, Josh Johnson, Scott Olsen, Anibal Sanchez and Ricky Nolasco - this is a very solid group. Even if Nolasco is forced to move to the closer role they're still solid. Add bats like Miguel Cabrera, Dan Uggla, Hanley Ramirez, and some combination of Willingham and the recovering Mike Jacobs.

The Nationals are garbage and won't do anything.

Ah the Braves. I won't predict against my team so I'm saying they win the NL East with 92 wins (a bitter division race with the Phillies on their heels).

A lot depends on the Braves's rotation - which is good and bad. Good because Smoltz is showing no signs of being 40 and would have won well more than 16 games last year had he had a bullpen. Look for his continued success. After him it's Tim Hudson, who has struggled lately but I see him rebounding - he's just too good to be so mediocre in his prime. Then we have Mike Hampton, who is the biggest question mark. He was nothing short of dominant before having Tommy John Surgery and looks to make a rebound. I don't expect more than 10-12 wins from him but I know he's capable of winning 20 games when healthy.

Next is Chuck James, who was a stunning 11-4 with a 3.78 ERA in his rookie season. If he can make his breaking ball more fearsome then he'll see continued success for a very long time. He's capable of a lot, I really like this lefty. Finally there is the 5th spot; it could and likely will be Kyle Davies but Lance Cormier and an impressive minor league lefty Matt Harrison look to threaten him for the starting role. We'll see how it plays out but I have faith in whatever happens. Even if the 5th guy sucks we'll have those 2 alternates who will be in AAA to call up plus Oscar Villareal, a more than capable spot-starter.

On to the bullpen. Well we have 3 potential closers on our roster in the veteran Bob Wickman, Rafael Soriano, and lefty Mike Gonzalez. It doesn't get much more varied than that. Add to them our solid middle reliever Villareal, lefty McBride, and two spots that I think will likely be filled with Tyler Yates and Chad Paronto and we look to have success where we had failure last year. Best bullpen in the NL? Time will tell.

As far as hitting goes, I'm even less concerned. Despite losing 30 HR hitter Adam LaRoche (who excelled once on medication) we still have Andruw Jones and Jeff Francoeur virtually locked to drive in at least 100. If Chipper Jones can stay healthy I have faith he can top both of them. Chipper is one of the best hitters out there and can make our offense absolutely dominant when he's healthy. And talking about great hitters, Brian McCann is quickly becoming the best offensive catcher in the NL (and second only to Joe Mauer in the league, for now). Biggest questions are Kelly Johnson's capability as a leadoff man, Scott Thorman's offensive production as a replacement for LaRoche, and the left field platoon consisting of potentially Ryan Langerhans, Craig Wilson, or Matt Diaz.

Overall, I'm optimistic about this season. I want to see Greg Maddux succeed with a sub 4.00 ERA in Sad Diego (though I wish the Dodgers had kept him instead) and I want Kerry Wood and Mark Prior to get healthy and lead the Cubs to the playoffs (of course behind Zambrano). I used to be a Red Sox fan but now they're like the Yankees#2 - so fuck them, Curt Schilling, and Matsuzaka. But please beat the Yankees for the AL East.

404 Not Found
02-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Phillies downfall is that the manager is an idiot...I can say that Charlie Manuel lost at least 10 games based upon his idiot decisions alone! I also hat ehearing a manager say that we are playing to have fun and that is what's most important! F' that...you wanna win and get to the series.

If the Phillies do not make the playoff's again I can only sum it up to bad management with an idiot at the helm!

Pearl Jam
03-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I've always disliked every single AL East team with the exception of Toronto. So hopefully they can snatch the title away this year.

I'm not going to do a big in-depth analysis of my team because it's the Royals. You can figure that out for yourself. Real young team, right now the only goal is to beat out the Indians for the cellar spot in the Central.

If the Cubs don't make the playoffs...wow. The NL Central is so fucking bad (I ignore the fact that the Cardinals won the World Series on the shoulders of people like Jeff Suppan, Jeff Weaver and World Series MVP Little David Eckstein..hahah..RIDICULOUS). Do they remind anyone else of the Red Sox a few years ago, when they suddenly became store-bought? There was about 2 years of lag time before everyone started saying "omfg they're the yankees!" I imagine the same thing will happen to the Cubs. I'd rather make progress with a team like the Royals as a gradual building process than do a complete 180 in 4 months and drop 300+ million. It's more fulfilling to me as a fan.

The Phillies better grab some more well-rounded pitching. They're only going to be able to waste Ryan Howard and Chase Utley for a few more years before they bail.

404 Not Found
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Utley signed a deal with the Phil's. He will be around for a long time. Howard was not all that pleased with his negotiation for his contract this year, but the Phil's can match and or beat anything that comes his way next year when he is no longer under Rookie status.

Phil's have some good pitching this year. Cole Hamels is said to be the next Steve Carlton...so if Hamels can do what is predicted, along with a good year for the Lieber and the rest...not to leave out a good season for closer Tom Gordon...I would look at the Phils as a good pick for the NL East. Bret Myers may actually be a p/t closer sharing that with Gordon. The Phil's have terrible middle relief though.

Greg Dobbs is looking to be another Ryan Howard in the batting dept & has better fielding than Howard. He is a utility infielder and could become a starting 3rd baseman, rounding out the infield with Utley, Howard and Jimmy Rollins.

If Pat Burrel could re-learn how to hit again...hoping he has, that's another .300+ seasonal batting Avg. player on that list too.

I am not on the Phils bandwagon yet, as I despise the Manager, but honestly...they will have one hell of a Bat going in their favor this year. The past 2 years have been the only years that I have not seen a live Phil's game since I was an infant, due to my boycotting the management....went to a bunch of O's game though.

Pearl Jam
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
You're right about their bats...I completely forgot about Jimmy Rollins, who is a great contact hitter. If Pat Burrel can get his stroke again, they'll be an offensive force.

Eric is God
03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I've always disliked every single AL East team with the exception of Toronto. So hopefully they can snatch the title away this year.

I would love to see that happen myself, but unless the Jays have 2 guys step up and provide decent pitching in the 4 and 5 spots it looks like another 83-87 win season. The best bets are Zambrano, Janssen and Thomson. Towers just can't seem to get any of his control back and Ohka is looking horrid so far in spring training. The good news is there are so many arms that are signed to one year deals looking to pitch well and cash in for 2008 and a lot of young guys who need to prove themselves. So the motivation is there, I just hope 2-3 of them seperate themselves before the all star break.