Lag Limits in TWLB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag Limits in TWLB

In this post, I will refer to 2d. I do NOT intend to pick on him, but I'm using him as an example because I have the rough numbers that I need, and I've watched him. That and since everyone else is ragging on him, whats one more? Anyway, this is about lag in general, and NOT 2d's lag. That said:

I don't think the solution to the problem of massive lag can be solved alone by lowering the limits on ping and ploss. Instead, I think we should enforce a waiting time after a lag out. Perhaps a minute would suffice. In the Pallies vs Light game, Melo estimated 2d lagged out 15 times. Well, I barely noticed, because he always seemed to pop right back in. By forcing people to sit out after they lag, lagouts become a more serious thing. In my example of the Pallies vs Light game, that would have forced Light to play 7 v 8 for nearly half the match.

Maybe lag limits still need to be increased. If they are, I'd still like to see them in conjunction with something like this.

totally agree!

I totally agree Shade. I suggested an idea like this to whom I can't remember when I was still playing. I didn't really follow it up or do anything about it since I didn't want to be involved in retarded league bs anymore. Now I care even less cause I don't even play, but I read the boards sometimes to see how everyone's doing.

I think you've come to the logic conclusion about what to do with lag determining the outcome of games. By setting a small 'penalty' time, squads will stop putting in their laggiest players to get the advantage. Because I know what you mean, some people lag out once every minute, and the host puts them back in without any time loss. All the benefits of lag, and no penalty for lagging out.

This is definately a good idea to discourage the use of lag to gain an advantage. It is not unfair to certain squads because if you lag out, then your lag really shouldn't allow you to play in the first place.

Comment

or you could have a maxium of about 5 lagouts, before your squad is forced to sub someone in....just a suggestion.

Comment

I totally agree, very good idea based on what you know, however it will not solve the problem.

Based on me - that game I lagged out about 10 times some games I do not lag out once. =/

And about your idea bigwig, another nice idea, but when you play in an arena where sometimes 16 people are in a small area, regardless of your connection people are gonna spike and lagout and that is why lagouts are unlimited. People with 200 ave pings can still spike and lagout well over 5 times a game.
        TWLB Champion Season 1 (Light)
        TWLD Champion Season 6/7 (Elusive/Syndicate)
        TWLJ Champion Season 7 (Syndicate)

1 of the first 2 to get all 3. (Fireballz is other)

Comment

Why not make it like TWLD and TWLJ?

4.22 All players have 3 lag outs. After lagging out the fourth time the player can either be substituted or removed from the game. Ref must *arena message when a player lagsouts, and how many lagouts he has left (e.g. Crome has lagged out twice, has 1 more lagouts to give)
          b. If a player lags out four time he has 3 min to get a substitute.
          a. If the player is removed from the game his remaining lives are converted to deaths.

-Epi
          Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
          www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
          www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine

4.22 All players have 3 lag outs. After lagging out the fourth time the player can either be substituted or removed from the game. Ref must *arena message when a player lagsouts, and how many lagouts he has left (e.g. Crome has lagged out twice, has 1 more lagouts to give)
            a. If the player is removed from the game his remaining lives are converted to deaths.

-Epi
            man, you are really clueless on basing.

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine

-Epi
              I think that's a good idea. Maybe people would think twice before they play with lag.

(except for the "a. If the player is removed from the game his remaining lives are converted to deaths." which obviously doesn't apply to basing)
              "Disoblige - It's not just a squad, it's a lifestyle" - BermuDa

Jonas

Comment

Anyone that suggests a 3 lagout limit to basing really is clueless. There are unlimited for a reason. The reason being that all players lag more in a base situation due to how the game runs. Many people with very nice connections still will lagout simply because they are facing a laggy situation. 3 lagout limit will destroy basing for most individiuals.

You can have 10 10 10 1050 and lagout. It happens, spiking occurs and it can occur over 3 times a game in base.

Comment

i'm with 2d on this one for the simple fact my lag is down one day and i can base without laggin out once and then the next day i'll lag out like 15 times..ppl like me and 2d who dont have cable shouldnt have to pay for the fact other ppl live closer to the server or so on..not totaly our fault, and after all its a game thats free we should be happy we got a league like this for free and not bitch about lag this lag that..lag is in the game either way so why not leave it how it is. Base is my favorite league and i think it would suck to be "banned" frm playing base league bc of my lag its bad enough i hit ppl and they dont die and i gotta aim a whole screen ahead of them lol..not to mention it sucks when ur a jav and rocketing towards there terr and boom u spec or if u were there when terred and laged lol sucks it jsut pops up out of no where no reason to mess with lag things let them go if someone lags then work around it..its not like its heaven for us laggers either
                  _o_2NASRALLAH

Comment

I understand the complaint that everyone wants to play, and its not fair to restrict it to the ones who can afford good connections (or just aren't in a place where they can get one). But is it really fair to disrupt 8 other people's game so ONE more person can play? Perhaps my opinion is tainted by the fact that I usually have passing lag, but still.

At any rate, before this thread is redirected into a petty argument of "who lag really hurts" I'd like it to be redirected towards the solution.

If you like my idea, is the 1 minute enough? Too much?

If your in favour of limiting lagouts, how many should it be? I personally feel 3 is too few, I think 5 is just about right.

If you think lag limits should be changed, where should they be changed to?

Lets be useful little people and try to get something done.
                    Last edited by Verthanthi; 07-17-2002, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2dragons
                      Anyone that suggests a 3 lagout limit to basing really is clueless. There are unlimited for a reason. The reason being that all players lag more in a base situation due to how the game runs. Many people with very nice connections still will lagout simply because they are facing a laggy situation. 3 lagout limit will destroy basing for most individiuals.

You can have 10 10 10 1050 and lagout. It happens, spiking occurs and it can occur over 3 times a game in base.
                      Spiking occurs, if you spike tough luck. If you lag out thrice, sub.
                      "Disoblige - It's not just a squad, it's a lifestyle" - BermuDa

Jonas

Comment

Shade: Good Idea

But to make it a little more fair, that rule should only be instigated after say the 3rd lagout, because sometimes, say i lagout once, then the rest of the game i dont lagout at all, i was punished for only having a slight "rush" of lag at that one point.
                        :yawn:

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch
                          man, you are really clueless on basing.
                          Look ruby, even Mitch said epi was clueless about basing, yet in another post u were talking about Epi as if he was a basing god.
                          :yawn:

Comment

afford good connections - I have the best connection money can buy where I live

Although on topic I could see actually putting a lagout limit on TWLB - but I'd suggest it not be 3 and I'd suggest watching known laggers that do not lag enough that issues are created - see how many times they lagout in a normal match with 60 spectators and put the limit on that.

Comment

i think it should be 5, since lag is a base match is usually worse than a duel. you get 16 ships all in the same frame...lag issues crop up...etc.
                              also, why can't match's be in private? just let the captains ask for it and if both agree, and the ref, they take it to #whateverthefuck

or did someone mention that people in spec no longer cause lag...i'm too lazy to go back and read that closely.

Comment

Working...
                              X