My Little Story -By Coyote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Little Story -By Coyote

Ok here is my essay trying to clear up all this shit in tw that has recently been happening.

One day i was enjoying my ss life when i see this: Profanity>2?password=ghetto

I quickly leave the arena and take advantage of the newb who just lost his name due to the lack of his brain cells. I only add the name to my trading list and go on living my life. The guy who i stole my name has many other names and harass's me every day for his name back. After ignoring numerous alias's i decide to get rid of the name. I didnt ever know who the real owner of the name Profanity was so i could never give it back without taking the risk of giving it to the wrong person.

Then today i here people in a name trading chat bitching about how they got there names stolen by this player named Physt.
    Annual got his name Window stolen
    Depth! got his name Hyper stolen

I decide this is the perfect oppurtuity to get rid of the name Profanity and try to help another player desperate of getting his name back. I trade Physt the names Definiton (one of my former names) and the name Profanity for the name Window. I then give the name Window back to Annual and all is well.......untill.......i try to log into tw and it says im banned. I then msg ara and asked for my ban info and he informs me that i was banned for "stealing names." Then after along talk with 2d i get unbanned. I then discover that Physt gave the name Profanity to Shut Up. Then this player named Cricket comes on my chat and spams me and SHut Up with "PROFANITY IS MY NAME GIVE IT BACK" After 20 minutes Shut Up types 6:Shut Up> just fucking take it, its pw is shutup in ?chat nevername. But Cricket is too slow and someone takes the name before he does.

Now i am unbanned. Physt i believe is net banned. Annual got his name Window back. And Depth! and Cricket are still out there names.

Im tired as hell, so if my grammer, spelling, and english is a little fucked please understand. And if u have any question ask here and DO NOT pm me .

-Thx Coyote

GJ

6:Cricket> i am white nigger

Just felt like to post this. -nt-

Comment

Name traders/aliaswhores all need to be shot. sry it's true
      'vet' is the new 'newb'.
      sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XV
        sage

Comment

Agreed - name trading may be fun for some but leads to many issues.
          TWLB Champion Season 1 (Light)
          TWLD Champion Season 6/7 (Elusive/Syndicate)
          TWLJ Champion Season 7 (Syndicate)

1 of the first 2 to get all 3. (Fireballz is other)

Comment

U should've just stayed banned.
            Originally posted by Diakka
            Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

Yawn read my post again. This had nothing to do with the trading of names, it was about the stealing of names and the morons who type:"2?password=ghetto" in public chat.
              Last edited by Mosquito; 07-17-2002, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Except of course for those of us who use our alias's ^_^ All 3 of them. But yeah,

gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

coyote,

I think this is a case of double standards, a while back you may remeber that 'Coyote' was "stolen" from you, after everyone palmed it around a bit you did manage to get it back, i remeber you gettting very angry by this.

How come it is ok if you do it, but swap the situation around and all hell breaks loose

Also, while we are on the subject, can you please return 'asperity' to its rightfull owner, it may not be the name of names, but it isnt yours.

- aphix
                  help: (skate) (elim): I fell off my chair, can someone help me up?

Comment

For all these people that steal names, why isnt a limit introduced on how many names they can own?
                    Originally posted by Facetious
                    edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

zeus,

agreed too,

but how would you implement something like that, you cannot do it easlily, as you cant limit it on IP address as the vast majority of subspace/continuum users run from a dynamically assigned IP,

you could have something where users 'sign up' to get an 'alias' added to the biling server, as soon as a user signs up they have to give a valid email address which is verified by requiring the user to reply to an automaticaly generated email. This would activate their account, on that alias.

each email address stored within the billing server database is given a limit of 5 different entrys using any one email address. It will deny any further attempts to create a new user, using that email address. Logging IP address for each 'new alias' as well as IP address used on that alias when it was last used.

There should also be a sytem to automatically delete any account which hasnt been used in 3 years. Whether that alias is in a squad or not. Again, the email address can be used to warn the user that the account for that alias is coming up to its 'sell by date' and will be deleted.

It is something that has always bugged me that creating an alias is far too easy. And the current validation leaves much to be desired for, as it will only validate an 'email format' as you can enter me@you.xyz and it will quite happily accept that.

Also a more complex billing server could/might deter people from hiding behind alias' as well as create a more thorough banning system, as it could block all alias' which have an email account of XXXX@XXXX.XXX

- aphix

Comment

Originally posted by aphix
                          zeus,

agreed too,

but how would you implement something like that, you cannot do it easlily, as you cant limit it on IP address as the vast majority of subspace/continuum users run from a dynamically assigned IP,

you could have something where users 'sign up' to get an 'alias' added to the biling server, as soon as a user signs up they have to give a valid email address which is verified by requiring the user to reply to an automaticaly generated email. This would activate their account, on that alias.

each email address stored within the billing server database is given a limit of 5 different entrys using any one email address. It will deny any further attempts to create a new user, using that email address. Logging IP address for each 'new alias' as well as IP address used on that alias when it was last used.

There should also be a sytem to automatically delete any account which hasnt been used in 3 years. Whether that alias is in a squad or not. Again, the email address can be used to warn the user that the account for that alias is coming up to its 'sell by date' and will be deleted.

It is something that has always bugged me that creating an alias is far too easy. And the current validation leaves much to be desired for, as it will only validate an 'email format' as you can enter me@you.xyz and it will quite happily accept that.

Also a more complex billing server could/might deter people from hiding behind alias' as well as create a more thorough banning system, as it could block all alias' which have an email account of XXXX@XXXX.XXX

- aphix
                          WOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH. (That was the sound of what you said going straight over my head).

Comment

I like zeus

For all these people that steal names, why isnt a limit introduced on how many names they can own?
                            Maybe its something that wasnt on the developers list marked *URGENT* VIE had nothing what so ever, but the most recent reincarnation of subspace had a system where you have to enter something that resembles an email- address to be able to create a new nick.

A billing server similar to that of which sony use in Infantry would solve allot of issues that are assosiated with alias'

Sorry by the way zeus, it made me sound intellignet for a second :P

-aphix
                            Last edited by aphix; 07-17-2002, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aphix

Nicks not used within 6 months are deleted.

Comment

Working...
                              X