The Live Earth concert this weekend 07/07/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Live Earth concert this weekend 07/07/07

We've all seen them. The "No Blood for Oil" bumper stickers on the Grand Cherokees, "Save the Whales" pasted on the back of an old, smoke-belching '77 Volvo.

So when anti-global warming activists throw eight concerts on six continents this Saturday - the biggest charity concert ever, with 150 big-name acts and an expected audience of 2 billion - is there reason to think the hundreds of thousands of fans driving to stadiums and chugging bottled water by the caseload may actually do more environmental harm than good?
    May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

You can't compare this to people with funny bumper stickers on belching cars, they're not going to save much of the planet in the long term. Whilst this event will cause a lot of environmental damage in the short-term, in the long-term it'll raise awareness and conserve more of the environment in the than was immediately damaged.

The only hypocrisy I can see the fact its the music industry trying to save the planet, when the bands and their equipment fly everywhere before setting up three Chernobyls worth of lighting for their shows. However if its the most likely platform to gain the public's attention then its worthwhile. Although their might be something to read into the fact that as a global society we're attracted more to things that shit out a lot of energy. The thing gets peoples attention and ultimately, the thing that people like most, is shitting out a lot of energy
    Originally posted by Facetious
    edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!! View Post
      You can't compare this to people with funny bumper stickers on belching cars, they're not going to save much of the planet in the long term.
      This was a joke on my part, after following the Grateful Dead around for years and seeing the many petchule wearing no showered for months smelly hippies sharing their head lice with one another only to contribute nothing to society other than distributing some good outdoor grown weed back in the day as well as fresh liquid...well not to go on a tangent, but those are typically the people I see with those bumper stickers. Not sure if those stickers are worse than those annoying "My child is an honor student at such and such elementary school" those are as bad as the old "Baby on Board" signs

I have no prob in awareness, yet the means as to how they are attempting to make everyone aware has been pretty dismal considering there really has been no heavy advertisement on this event for such a large and special cause.

Btw...when I followed the Dead, I was the asshole in the nice car wearing the oxford shirt that looked more like the narc than the head. Nice to keep oneself in a camoflauge appearance when in a field of freaks.
      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

They have to be careful not to overdo it.

If they keep this up, no one is gonna give a rats ass about these concerts in a few years.
        Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

I hope Koda Kumi will be as much of a slut as she usually is. This line was just added so it wouldn't look like my other one line-posts. I don't know how much it helps.
          Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

And the objective of this is to increase awareness of warming? Are there actually any humans walking around that are not already aware of warming? I don't get it.

I hope everyone in attendence has already bought their carbon credits for this year.

Comment

Eph..

If you can't see the impact Live Aid had..
              Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

3000 children a day die from Malaria, that’s one kid dying every 30 seconds all day long, every day of the year. And dying from a parasite that we know how to control. The primary mosquito that carries the parasite is almost exclusively nocturnal. For impact, I suggest a benefit concert where the proceeds go to buying and distributing mosquito netting.

Comment

Koda Kumi can stay as slutty as she wants, or as I want, it's all the same ^^
                  "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

I loved the shanghai highlights. TAKE ME BACK!!!!!!
                    Originally posted by Tyson
                    There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
                    Originally posted by HeavenSent
                    Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
                    Originally posted by Izor
                    Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

I'm listening to the UK venue on XM. I want to actually watch it live but I don't know where to find it.

Comment

liveearth.org and there's links all over the place to "Watch live now" or whatever.
                        5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                        5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                        5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

It was on our tv all day.

Comment

I missed koda kumi but I did get to see bonnie pink, yay
                            "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

I like the fact that they staged the biggest carbon atrocity to raise awareness for global warming, they're saying "look what we're doing to the planet" by actually doing it
                              Originally posted by Facetious
                              edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Working...
                              X