MVP in pub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVP in pub?

Setting aside freq changes, why is it that if you don't change ship in pub you get MVP? I don't really understand the reasoning. Often times changing your ship would be better for the team, ex. switching from Jav to Spider, or to Shark if the other team has mines, or to Terr if your old one left.

Because nobody gives a shit about pubs, and we want people to see how boring they are and move along to leagues so they don't die, as they are the only reason the game is alive in the first place.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

why does that still exist?

and is there any way NOT to get mvp, if youre on the winning freq?

mvp isnt special if everyone gets it : /
      The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
      SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

I agree with you jake.

And nevermind Warkwark, he just has a very unfriendly exterior to his soft and cosy interior.
        Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Pubs=Boring
          OBama/Biden 08

Comment

Originally posted by Soul Survivor View Post
            Pubs=Boring

I disagree.. I've played most of the servers out there, played in various leagues over the years, played so many great events like world wars and hockey.. but I always go back to Trenchwars pubs.

..maybe I'm a sucker for abuse but pub isn't all that bad. I agree the players conduct is sometimes noobish, the bots aren't the brightest, half the people don't even try to base and you run into a few too many teamkillers.. but the chat is always lively, you can mess around with friends and aren't stuck in one role and best of all you don't have to wait and watch while a billion other people play before it's your turn or before you can jump back in. And technically the pub extends into stuff like ?go mario or ?go art.. etc.. sure it's not at l33t as the leagues but it's way more laid back and for a lot of people, like me, thats what they want from SS 75% of the time.
            Last edited by a21ozcoldcup; 07-09-2007, 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
            truth about vets vs noobs [clickable]
            "...can we pretend I lag and you eat my burst?"
            Guy: What does that SS mean on your car?
            Me: Oh, it's the Subspace model. You know, bigger engine, level 3 bombs...

Comment

Gotta agree with a21ozcoldcup but don't worry, in time the pubbots (RoboBoy and RoboGirl) will be fixed.
              Maverick
              Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
              Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
              Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
              Subspace Statistics Administrator
              Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

fixed?? i guess they'll merge into roboeunich or some other non-sexual being
                .fffffffff_____
                .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                .fffffff\______/
                .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                .fffff\________/
                .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                .fff\__________/

Comment

Original reason that you don't get MVP if you switch ships is because at inception a team would change to Terr for round start, !warp in, burst, and then switch to their real ship. In fact, MVP was invented in order to curb this kind of behavior.

In other words, MVP is just a social control tool to get you to do what The Man wants you to do. Much like Christianity.

Comment

New feature will be in soon to allow players to change to "needed" ships (terrs, sharks, spiders) without losing MVP status. Of course this will only apply if the team is deficient in a particular ship type, and if you yourself wouldn't jeopardize another such position by switching. The new experimental !team display will now also tell you which ship types the team needs most, or if the team actually looks decent. It won't be perfect (what a good team consists of is highly subjective), but .. hey, don't say the TW coding team never implemented anything based on player requests. :>

Gotta agree with a21ozcoldcup but don't worry, in time the pubbots (RoboBoy and RoboGirl) will be fixed.
                    Whatcha mean, Mav? You say it, I'll fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by gdugwyler View Post
                      New feature will be in soon to allow players to change to "needed" ships (terrs, sharks, spiders) without losing MVP status. Of course this will only apply if the team is deficient in a particular ship type, and if you yourself wouldn't jeopardize another such position by switching. The new experimental !team display will now also tell you which ship types the team needs most, or if the team actually looks decent. It won't be perfect (what a good team consists of is highly subjective), but .. hey, don't say the TW coding team never implemented anything based on player requests. :>

Whatcha mean, Mav? You say it, I'll fix it!

Interesting. You know someone will probably complain about it, but I admire the effort. Just for entertainment's sake I will probably !team all the time and tell everyone what the bots think they should be in.

I'd be very interested to hear some of the coding team's thoughts on what makes a good basing team in pub? And can you tie in things like.. if javs are tkilling like mad on your freq.. will the !team tell you to drop some of the javs? Or maybe on April fools day you can have !team tell EVERYONE to switch to javs... if they actually listened that would entertain me to no end.
                      truth about vets vs noobs [clickable]
                      "...can we pretend I lag and you eat my burst?"
                      Guy: What does that SS mean on your car?
                      Me: Oh, it's the Subspace model. You know, bigger engine, level 3 bombs...

Comment

agreed, jake.

it would be ridiculously easy to think of a better mvp system. why that hasnt been done is beyond me.
                        Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
                        apt>yes u can wtf
                        apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
                        apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
                        apt>so i dont miss the toilet
                        Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
                        apt>na
                        apt>ill show you pictures
                        apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Yeah, bot devs might not be the best judges of a pub base team. Essentially it's just based on double of a decent 8-person base team (minus extremely heavy spiders). Thought about having a top limit on the javs and even WBs for !team to complain .. still might do it, at least for the javs.

Re: gophs and MVP, dunno. Again, MVP is just social control. It's in the works to improve how it's done, but at the moment it's just a tool to prevent freqhopping and people changing from terr to another ship at the start of a round. Oddly enough, the three letters M, V, and P at the bottom of the screen seem to do that (well, that and a little meaningless bounty).

Comment

Why not give MVPs some kind of reward.. like bricks or thors or something.
                            IMO MVP should only be given to people in terr/shark/spid.
                            (Dutch Baser)>i would have voted mccain cuz he is white

8:Hercules> whats a normal day for a finn consist of ?
                            8:Singularity> alcohol and masturbation

Daldur> if u add me 6th obviously u dont want me

BasingCrew

Comment

i distinctly remember winning prizes such as 3 decoys and full shrap b/c i was one of the mvp's and won a game...

the new commands seem like overkill.

!team just reinforces the fact that hardly anyone is willing to switch to shark/terr to help out the team even when it's shown that no one is in these ships...

!ship is a useful command in conjunction with !team, but untill MVP status really means anything, there's no point in using it. Also i noticed that when i changed to shark once, i was given like 25 bty as a reward for changing to a needed ship. This is great, but who needs bty in a shark?? you lay mines, rep, die, repeat. i did the same thing when a spider was needed and no bty reward. i guess it's still in the process of fixing all the bugs...

i don't like the fact that everyone's warped in at round start- ppl who :roboboy:!warp should be rewarded for their dilligence
                              .fffffffff_____
                              .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                              .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                              .fffffff\______/
                              .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                              .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                              .fffff\________/
                              .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                              .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                              .fff\__________/