PDA

View Full Version : Staying in the game while AFK is a bannable offense?



Stabwound
03-16-2003, 10:07 AM
.

Nemeziz
03-16-2003, 02:53 PM
I dont think so.Btw ur avatar is gay.So is dr phil.

Qbe
03-17-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Taciturn Bob
No, but they will *kick you if you are online and afk for a long period of time. I was told it wastes bandwidth. The Mods usually message you to see if you are there chatting.
True -- they usually give you about 5 or so minutes before they *kick you. Ever since PriitK lost the ability to host TW on a server for free the mods have really been watching the bandwidth they put out.

Edit: Dr. Phil is the coolest.

Dim
03-19-2003, 03:13 AM
I very much doubt you were banned.

Randedl
03-19-2003, 08:15 AM
i'm not the one that banned you, but i know i had *kill'd you prior and left you a warning with ?message.

the fact you chose to ignore this warning (i had mentioned you would be banned if you continued) is your fault, and the ban you received was warranted in my opinion.

Worr
03-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Taciturn Bob
No, but they will *kick you if you are online and afk for a long period of time. I was told it wastes bandwidth. The Mods usually message you to see if you are there chatting.

Impossible!

I've stayed on for about 150 or so hours straight in an afk room and I wasn't banned for it, nor did I recieve any warning. Hmm, I find it odd that you were banned for such a reason, if in fact you were banned.

Yes, 150 hours. I'm a newb.

Acid Tank
03-19-2003, 08:33 AM
I should have been banned them. Biggest session usage is about 200 hours :D Had computer on last summer one month, and I did not close Continuum for while.

Zerzera
03-19-2003, 09:07 AM
In a private room where you wont recieve as much data as speccing a full flagroom in public?

Randedl
03-19-2003, 09:44 AM
to clarify, the ban was for sitting afk, in a ship (leviathan) with l3 bombs automatically shooting and the ship flying in circles from number lock.

Jason
03-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Randedl
to clarify, the ban was for sitting afk, in a ship (leviathan) with l3 bombs automatically shooting and the ship flying in circles from number lock. Whether he was in pub or in a private arena, that's bullshit. We never used to ban people for shit like that, just *kill 'em and move on. You staffers are hardcore jizztwizzlers these days.

Stabwound
03-19-2003, 04:41 PM
No no, I didn't get banned, but Randedl DID threaten to ban me if I did it again. I just want to know why it's such a big deal to do what I did?

Randedl
03-20-2003, 03:36 AM
honestly, if it warrants a *kill, it is illegal. yes, it is our job, but at the same time i think most staff members would like to believe that the players can know what is right and wrong on their own.

if you get *killed once, and don't learn your lesson, what is the next obvious course of action?

Stabwound
03-20-2003, 12:14 PM
That didn't answer my question. I was asking "WHY is it illegal to sit AFK and fire bombs in a lev?"

Mythrandir
03-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Stabwound
That didn't answer my question. I was asking "WHY is it illegal to sit AFK and fire bombs in a lev?"
That's an easy one: you teamkill

Stabwound
03-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Ok, so then I'm going to do the same thing in a lancaster, and I won't get banned.

Demolish
03-20-2003, 05:51 PM
i think bandwith was mentioned... :)

Qbe
03-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Demolish
i think bandwith was mentioned... :)

Stab, don't be stupid.

The fact that you are TK'ing is not the issue. Nor is it that you are AFK. The fact that you are wasting bandwidth is the issue. As I said earlier, which you seemed to ignore, PriitK is now having to pay to host TW. Therefore, he wants to keep the price he has to pay to as little as possible.

Pay attention next time.

PolluX
03-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Stabwound
Ok, so then I'm going to do the same thing in a lancaster, and I won't get banned.

Go you!
you are a tuff boy aren't you?
You like tuff things?
I bet you do!
I admire boys that like to be tuff, I feel safe in their presents.
Would you protect me, sweet tuff boy?
I'll give you a lollipop if you do.
(opens pants)

Worr
03-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Qbe

Stab, don't be stupid.

The fact that you are TK'ing is not the issue. Nor is it that you are AFK. The fact that you are wasting bandwidth is the issue. As I said earlier, which you seemed to ignore, PriitK is now having to pay to host TW. Therefore, he wants to keep the price he has to pay to as little as possible.

Pay attention next time.


Hmmm....Seems you don't know the half of it. PriitK is the ultimate donator. I'm sure he had to deal with money when we had the old server. :rolleyes:

Sleepy Weasel
03-25-2003, 01:34 AM
It used to be you would just rep the guy into a safety to stop them from doing that. It's kind of fun to do.

Nockm
03-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Randedl
honestly, if it warrants a *kill, it is illegal. yes, it is our job, but at the same time i think most staff members would like to believe that the players can know what is right and wrong on their own.

if you get *killed once, and don't learn your lesson, what is the next obvious course of action?

Is feigning ship activity whilst afk illegal in any documented rules? If not, maybe it should be.

Acid Tank
03-26-2003, 07:20 AM
So what if someone sits on spec and gets usage? Most important thing is still you have fun! :)

Andy Rooney
03-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Where do you draw the line? What if I have to go take a shit, an activity on average that takes no more than 10 minutes, so I leave continuum running. However, this time, I get real constipated, I mean REAL constipated. I end up sitting on the shitter for close to an hour. It was never my intention to sit afk for more than ten minutes, but ten minutes turned into an hour. Next thing I know some member of the staff gestapo hits me with 2 mod warnings, then I get banned. Not my fault at all. Sitting in spec should not be a banable offense. Just disconnect the person, don't ban them.