X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

I want to make a webpage. problem is i have no idea which
    language i should start learning.
    So what do you guys recomend for a site that needs to look nice, is easy to update, and contains some writen info + pictures, and a forum?

Thanks,
    -Isreal
    Aliases: Tomer, Golan, Tg

html?

Comment

HTML.
      Try www.webmonkey.com

Comment

or echoecho.com
        TelCat> there arent 'sort of' get the flag

Comment

But..

would i be able to create the same kind of site that i could make
          with php for example?
          Aliases: Tomer, Golan, Tg

Comment

you'd need php (or perl or something similar) if you want to write the bulliten board yourself. Pictures and written text are usually done through HTML, I don't know anyway around it. HTML takes 3 seconds to learn. If you know BBcode, you can probably already do HTML.

Edit: I do know a way around it. Using a premade site or using a wysiwyg editor.

Comment

WYSIWYG editors use HTML and if you use scripting languages like PHP or javascript or anything else to make the site dynamically, you'd still need to make them write in all the HTML code the browser is going to interpret. you might as well learn it if you want to make webpages. If you just just want to get one webpage, downloa... err "buy" Dreamweaver and scrounge one up quickly. EOF.

Comment

Moved to Technical shit.
                Originally posted by Facetious
                edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Easier way to it is Microsoft FrontPage Express, or if you want to because professional some day do web pages with HTML then. One of the easiest ways to do a web site is www.geocities.com there is a program called page builder. I did my first web site with that program.
                  - Acid Tank

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Cobain

Comment

good job acid!! <bows down and kisses feet> ohh btw, good luck with what u do Isreal
                    Dsin> moi
                    Kian> moi
                    Dsin> wanna hear good news kian?
                    Kian> I GOT MY LICENSE TODAY
                    Kian> ok ur turn

Comment

Originally posted by Playback
                      good job acid!! <bows down and kisses feet> ohh btw, good luck with what u do Isreal
                      lol, np.
                      - Acid Tank

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Cobain

Comment

Nefas summed it up there I'd like to sort of add some to what he suggested.

If you want to make a static site (with non-updating content), use HTML, its simple to learn and there are a ton of good programs you can aquire that will do the coding for you, like Frontpage, Dreamweaver, and the better freeware programs like 1stPage 2000.

If you want to make pages with dynamic content, you'll have to learn a scripting language. Javascript and VBScript are client side scripting languages, that is the user runs the code inside their browser when they view the page.

The other solution to dynamic content are 'hardcore' scripting languages like PHP/ASP etc. These run on the server, and produce HTML code which is then sent to the user. The advantage of these languages is that they also support data-access, which lets you store data/read data to and from databases. Almost all forums are created with such scripting languages, although in your case, it may be easier using HTML to code the pages, and link to an external forum such as those hosted on www.aimoo.com .

HTML web hosts are many, but you'll want to select a host without popups and for this I recommend www.freewebs.com

These hosts dont support lower level scripting like php/asp, so you'll have to hunt hard for a good host if you want to script with these, for the DragonGuard site we use www.curvedspaces.com , it gives 50mb storage, unlimited bandwidth, PHP scripting support, and a MySQL database, complete with FTP upload to get your pages up and running. It gives a single banner, but I found an easy hack to disable this ^^ message me if you're interested.

Oh yeah, if you want to use a dynamic site, you could grab a curvedspaces account and upload PHPNuke, its a site/forums etc. package already scripted. Its designed for medium-large scale sites, but I'm sure you'll be fine with using it =/ on yeah, for MySQL databases download phpMyAdmin so you can easily create and modify the databases.

Good luck ^^

www.dragonguard.curvedspaces.com

Message me if you need any coding help =)
                        Last edited by Lain; 03-30-2003, 11:37 AM.
                        www.liveforspeed.net

Comment

Working...
                        X