Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing

Hi,

I just finished writing the novella I have been working on, and I need a little help. Does anyone here know anything about getting works published/finding a literary agent? So far I been pretty clueless on how to go about it. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
    sigpic
    All good things must come to an end.

http://www.lulu.com/
    :confused: Are human fat?

Comment

What genre are you writing?

Not that I know anything about publishing, I'm just impressed by anyone on this forum being able to do anything that isn't fail.
      Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

fiction with elements of fantasy (not unicorns/magic shit), drug use and among other things subliminal messages about some issues I have with the world/religion/etc that can often times come off somewhat not subtle...

edit: I don't think self-publishing would be a good idea because usually in my case that's a setup for failure. I rather have some publishing company do it and yeah If I do make money I won't make 100% of it but at least there's a chance of making any money.

I was kind of hoping maybe one of the older users of this forum might of had any experiences in this area (beginning to not believe so, but I want to HABEEB!)
        sigpic

Comment

The drugs mixed with elements of fantasy could turn out pretty sweet, I liked the thought on how that can turn out. Lets you exaggrate details to more interesting details just to add something more to a story.

Are you doing this in any obvious manner, or is it more underlying, or am I completley on the wrong track?
          Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
            edit: I don't think self-publishing would be a good idea because usually in my case that's a setup for failure.
            You've done this before?

Also, before you even begin to look for a publisher, I strongly suggest you let a real editor look over what you've written. From what it sounds like, you're writing something that can (should, rather) be pretty complex when it comes to structure and syntax. Not knocking your writing skills or anything, but it sounds like it could be a real tall order- especially for someone just starting out.
            :confused: Are human fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
              The drugs mixed with elements of fantasy could turn out pretty sweet, I liked the thought on how that can turn out. Lets you exaggrate details to more interesting details just to add something more to a story.

Are you doing this in any obvious manner, or is it more underlying, or am I completley on the wrong track?
              more underlying

summary of what the story is:
              After losing his parents to WWII, the main character is forced to live in a rural suburbia with his abusive uncle. he finds recluse in smoking weed and his love for his religion. He is torn between his views and his love for drugs that greatly jumps him from side to side in extreme measures (moving into the church -- switching to stronger/more addicting drugs like coke and heroin). Both sides and his surrounding ends up causing him great deals of depression and pain. The only thing that helps him day to day is this imaginative beautiful girl that keeps appearing in his dreams. He shows profound talent for poetry so that sets up the theme of the novella where most of his life is spent living a poetic dream

FYI - poetic dream is the title for the book
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iLDuce View Post
                You've done this before?

Also, before you even begin to look for a publisher, I strongly suggest you let a real editor look over what you've written. From what it sounds like, you're writing something that can (should, rather) be pretty complex when it comes to structure and syntax. Not knocking your writing skills or anything, but it sounds like it could be a real tall order- especially for someone just starting out.
                I didn't intend to double post, but oh well.

I haven't published a book, but I have published poems that usually was with other poets in a book about poems.

It's my first book and yes I would want an editor (I'm just going to utilize my university for that)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
                  summary of what the story is:
                  After losing his parents to WWII, the main character is forced to live in a rural suburbia with his abusive uncle. he finds recluse in smoking weed and his love for his religion. He is torn between his views and his love for drugs that greatly jumps him from side to side in extreme measures (moving into the church -- switching to stronger/more addicting drugs like coke and heroin). Both sides and his surrounding ends up causing him great deals of depression and pain. The only thing that helps him day to day is....TRENCH WARS
                  clearly autobiographical

Comment

You can start your own publishing company if you want to. Try it for a few years, then if nothing happens, you could approach the majors. When you start your own, you keep the rights and therefor you make a hella lot more money when somebody in Hollywood decides to make a movie of it. Start you own, find a real editor with experience in that genre, and send it to Oprah's book club or the New York Times or something. :grin:
                    Will Thom Yorke ever cheer up? - ZeUs!!!

Comment

I think I'm just going to see how my university can help me out with it. I'm not sure of myself to do it on my own, and there's too many scammers and elitist-snob publishing companies that I just dont trust/or will be accepted.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X