Real ID Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real ID Act

Any other Americans concerned about this? I've got my own reasons but this Act concerns me quite a bit, only a matter of time before the states give in. Also, I'm kind of interested to see how those of you that aren't concerned about this act view this.

Here's some background in case you're unaware: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/11/real.id.ap/index.html
    1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
    3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
    3:Best> see it coming
    3:Best> sad

Before we do that could you outline what your problem(s) is with the REAL ID Act?

Comment

What is the problem with using your passport at airports? It is considered normal over here. We can use our drivers license for id purposes within the country. But when it comes to flying or other official stuff, we need our passports.
      Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

It's a good idea. I'm up for anything to secure identity theft or fraudulent identification. Also, I believe these cards will have the information chips on them that the new passports currently have. That'll speed up the lines in the airports if you're big on traveling since your information will just have to be scanned in. Just ... don't lose your card, lol.
        DELETED

Comment

There's no need for these. I don't like the fact that eventually I won't be allowed into most public buildings without these cards, it's just unnecessary. Seems like the federal government just trying to take more power from the states - why do you think about 18 states have already taken stances against it?

The Maine senate voted against it 34-0. They'll just keep the act alive until every state complies - why do they want to go to such measures to ensure it passes? It's obvious that the majority of the states don't want it any time soon.
          help: (qg) (javs): i think my isp is stealing internet from me.

What's the difference between chopping an onion and chopping a baby? I cry when I chop onions. Type ?go Jav -Chao <ER>
          MegamanEXE> Chao
          MegamanEXE> I came from watching Hockey to say this
          (Sefarius)> ....
          (Hate The Fake)> LOL
          MegamanEXE> You are sick
          MegamanEXE> Good day

Comment

they put chips in my kids' brains to blow them up if they do something wrong

nwa
            =

Comment

Originally posted by Dameon Angell View Post
              Also, I believe these cards will have the information chips on them that the new passports currently have.
              Oh, you mean the ones you can bang with a hammer to disable?.

Nah, I'm with Reaver on this one. I like technology and quick queuing lines too, but the tech they use is pretty ludicrously easy to sniff. If you think this is going to lead to a decrease in identity theft, then I want a few ounces of what you're smoking.

Not to mention that the federal government is already pretty bad at betting on horses when it comes to the tech game.

Dameon Angell's Edit Note: Yeah, I thought I was doing a "reply" not an "Edit" on accident. Oops
              Last edited by Dameon Angell; 01-13-2008, 04:21 PM.
              Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                What is the problem with using your passport at airports? It is considered normal over here. We can use our drivers license for id purposes within the country. But when it comes to flying or other official stuff, we need our passports.
                Yep, I agree.

One of the biggest reasons I don't like it is that I don't agree with it's justification. People are trying to justify a massive database with tons of information on people as some kind of security. I'm not buying it, especially with our government. Then there's the whole issue of privacy...
                1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P

Comment

i like the idea of these cards, specially used as a deterrant for fraud and terrorism. Now its just a universal passport, that can be used anywhere.
                  Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                  2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                  2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

"The September 11 attacks were the main motivation for the changes."
                    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/11/real.id.ap/index.html
                    Helloooooooo :fear:
                    PROBLEM - REACTION - SOLUTION (PRS)
                    In order for THEM to secretly manipulate the direction of the world in-line with their interests, they use the PRS method...
                    -They create the problem/s: Crime, terror attack, stock market crash, government collapse, etc etc.
                    -They then wait for the public's reaction: 'What are you going to do to stop this from happening again?'
                    -Then they offer the solution/s to the problem/s they covertly created.
                    It's the solutions which benefit them and advances their agenda.
                    PNAC - Project for the New American Century
                    According to their own document, Rebuilding America’s Defenses their stated goals would never be realized “absent some catastrophic catalyzing event –like a new Pearl Harbor”. (page 52).
                    THEY are using a manipulation tactic called the 'totalitarian tip-toe' which involves achieving large goals in small, incremental steps spread out over vast amounts of time so the people do no realize that each little step is a calculated move that is connected to the previous.
                    If done in one giant leap, the people will notice what is happening and would revolt.
                    Read the quotes in my sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver View Post
                      One of the biggest reasons I don't like it is that I don't agree with it's justification. People are trying to justify a massive database with tons of information on people as some kind of security. I'm not buying it, especially with our government. Then there's the whole issue of privacy...
                      From what I read on DHS' website there wouldn't be one massive database. No person from one state can view information on a person from another state. Where does it state there would be a centralized database? How would this new system be different in the collection and storage of personal information from the old one?

Government is probably the worst at implementing and understanding technology so I think having some reservations about how all this will turn out, if the costs of it will actually yield any benefit and if the security concerns have been addressed, are all completely valid. But having national standards for identification when you're dealing with national security is important.

I wonder if Canadian passports have RFIDs as well. I just applied for mine a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
                        From what I read on DHS' website there wouldn't be one massive database. No person from one state can view information on a person from another state. Where does it state there would be a centralized database? How would this new system be different in the collection and storage of personal information from the old one?

Government is probably the worst at implementing and understanding technology so I think having some reservations about how all this will turn out, if the costs of it will actually yield any benefit and if the security concerns have been addressed, are all completely valid. But having national standards for identification when you're dealing with national security is important.

I wonder if Canadian passports have RFIDs as well. I just applied for mine a week ago.
                        State's need to agree to share data amongst eachother. This only really proves my point even more though, what security will come of this? And as you mentioned, the cost, estimated at around $25 billion.

Comment

i am for the real ID as i am for anything that hastens the eventual end of america as we know it

the jeromolution will be great
                          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

"In politics nothing happens by accident; if it happens, you can be sure we planned it that way."
                            President Franklin Roosevelt
                            :fear:

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                              i am for the real ID as i am for anything that hastens the eventual end of america as we know it

the jeromolution will be great
                              I concur.

Let's just get this fkin thing over with. BRING IT
                              'vet' is the new 'newb'.
                              sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

Working...
                              X