Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the worst Best Buy experiences I've read in a while...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the worst Best Buy experiences I've read in a while...

Matt writes:

Yesterday I went through the horror of taking my 15 year old brother to the Best Buy in Orland Park, IL on LaGrange Ave. I had close to $100 in Best Buy Gift Certificates given to me for Christmas. My brother and I were en route to dinner and we decided to swing by the aforementioned Best Buy to pick up a video game, Assassin's Creed, and XBOX Live Gold. We entered the store. I browsed the camera aisle looking for a cable to possibly purchase for our flat screen then headed to the video game section. I picked up the said items and headed to check out where hell will shortly ensue.

I stepped up to the red haired, slightly obese cashier and she immediately gave me a look of disgrace as if I did something wrong. I replied with a "hi" to make the tension less awkward. She immediately asked me for my ID. I've never been carded for a video game before so I politely handed it to her while asking my brother for my gift cards I gave him while I was busy shuffling through my car just 20 minutes earlier.

She then left the the register booth with my ID and video game and went to her manager. The Best Buy cashier then came back and shouted that I'm purchasing a video game for a minor in front of everyone in line behind me and her fellow cashiers. She even had the nerve to ask, "Is that even your brother with you?!" Hell yes he is! I was embarrassed! It's like she was condemning me for purchasing alcohol for a minor. [ed. Assassin's Creed is rated "M" for Mature, meaning it's considered not suitable for kids under 17. It's a game where you play an assassin during the Third Crusades and you take out various historical figures.]

I quickly responded back that I am 21 year old and that the video game and peripheral are for me. She shook her head with a menacing grim and said that she saw me take gift cards from my brother and that what I am doing is illegal. Enough of this obese 17 year olds shenanigans! I demanded a manager. Unfortunately the manager was probably about 18 years old as well.

In front of the store again he told me that I am illegally purchasing a video game for a minor. I responded back that they are my gift cards! I want to make a purchase. That's when he picked up Xbox Live GOLD. I then asked if I couldn't buy that either. He then took a few minutes to scrutinize the box looking for an online peripherals rating. He never found it and said to me, he's not sure, I might not be able to do that either (Xbox Live was also rated E for everyone mind you). I continued to repeat that these are my gift cards, I'm 21 and I want to make my purchase. The cashier and manager continued to condemn me in front of all that I'm illegally purchasing the game for a minor.

I brought up two ultimatums. "So I have to go drive miles outside Orland Park, IL to another Best Buy to purchase the video game then?" The manager shrugged and said, "I guess so."

I also brought up the option then that if I left the store with my brother, came back in by myself and made the purchase, would that be legal then? The manager replied, "Technically, yes, that will be OK."

I then told them to hold on to the Xbox Live Gold since it was the last one left. I left the store with my brother, told him to go to the car. I then walked back into the store. The manager earlier told me that I can't use the old video game I originally had in hand because it was deemed under "penalty." I then had to walk all the way to the back of the cavernous store, pick up the video game then walk back to the line I was originally in. I stood in line for another 10 minutes waiting. I finally got back up to the obese red head cashier where she smirked and looked at me and said, "Yeah, we can't sell you that video game." What?! "Those gift cards are illegal."

How the hell does she know someone didn't just give me the gift cards on the street or if I had more of my "OWN" gift cards from the car. They just told me that I was able to purchase the video game once I walked my brother out.

I told them that they made a fool out of me before everyone in the store. She continued to be as politely as I can put it a "bitch" to me. I purchased Xbox Live Gold and said to the hell with the game. After making the transaction I told her I didn't need a plastic bag since all I'm carrying out is a small little hand held cardboard box. Who needs a plastic bag for that? She then told me that under company policy if I wanted to exit the store I needed a plastic bag. Absurd! For me to exit the store I need to kill the planet now? I never see people with bags over DVD players that are twice the size as the flimsy Xbox Live cardboard box.

Anyway I left the store, we ate dinner and on the way home we stopped at the Best Buy in Mokena, IL. I purchased the same exact video game, Assassin's Creed with my brother right beside me. I was never carded, I was never interrogated, I was never questioned. I had a wonderful experience there but I had to go through a three hour ordeal of going to the Best Buy in Orland Park, eating dinner than spending another 20 minutes at a Best Buy miles away all for a video game.

Three things Best Buy, first drop the mandatory plastic bag policy. Second, you need to revamp your treatment of customers and not threaten them of their illegal actions in front of all. Three, can I get reimbursed for some gas money for driving miles and miles out of my way since I was banned from buying a video game at your store in Orland Park, IL?

Cheers,

Matt D.
    He should sue their ass, it's the American way.
    DELETED

That's really stupid... I would of fucked their day up

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
    1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
    1:Freeze> LOL FAR
    ---
    5:waven> freeze
    5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
    5:waven> you state your business with sanji
    5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
    5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
    5:waven> and i will talk to ease
    5:Freeze> LOL
    5:waven> that's how things work around here
    --
    1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Sounds like taking it up the ass is the American way. And then writing a blog about it. Had to drive to another store, tragic. Maybe next time you want to buy a product that is illegal for teenagers you should get the money from one before you get to the cash register. What does the fact that she is slightly obese have to do with anything? Should they take you into a private room to tell you you are breaking the law? Sure, he's getting treated like a little bitch, but he's whining like one too. He takes his brother outside, goes back through the line, then goes back to get the game, then is forced to use a plastic bag! Then he drives to another best buy and gives them more of his money, and finally gets home all ass-hurt and writes a passive-aggressive blog or whatever this is. What a little bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Vatican Assassin View Post
        Sounds like taking it up the ass is the American way. And then writing a blog about it. Had to drive to another store, tragic. Maybe next time you want to buy a product that is illegal for teenagers you should get the money from one before you get to the cash register. What does the fact that she is slightly obese have to do with anything? Should they take you into a private room to tell you you are breaking the law? Sure, he's getting treated like a little bitch, but he's whining like one too. He takes his brother outside, goes back through the line, then goes back to get the game, then is forced to use a plastic bag! Then he drives to another best buy and gives them more of his money, and finally gets home all ass-hurt and writes a passive-aggressive blog or whatever this is. What a little bitch.
        Mirror, meet Vatican Assassin. Vatican Assassin, mirror.
        Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

ive been trolling in my local bestbuy waiting to speak to a car audio guy for three days

goddamnit why are they never around
          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn V View Post
            Mirror, meet Vatican Assassin. Vatican Assassin, mirror.
            Touché!

Comment

If the gift cards were in the name of the 21 year old they have no right to refuse his purchase.

I don't understand why the cashier said the gift cards were illegal?

There is something about Americans with low paying jobs who use their extremely minor realm of influence to make others miserable. Even if this guy is exaggerating all the little things the cashier and manager did, they were still going well beyond company policy over such a minor matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                ive been trolling in my local bestbuy waiting to speak to a car audio guy for three days

goddamnit why are they never around
                BestBuy employees don't work on commission, hence they have no motivation to assist you. The best sales person in the world is a good friend who knows a lot about whatever it is you are looking to buy. I bought a new computer over the holidays and my friend was nice enough to educate me and do a lot of the legwork.

Comment

It's not illegal lol. Just as movie ratings aren't enforced by law either. It's just a policy that they subscribe to.
                  Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                  www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                  www.animeslice.com

Comment

:wub: Jack Thompson.

Comment

First and last best buy reading experience for me.

Comment

Well, I can understand the cashiers point.. IN THEORY. as a 7-11 manager, We sell cigarettes. It is illegal to sell cigarettes or accessories in second hand sale. The person who buys it wont get fined, but the person who sells it will. For selling cigarettes to a minor via second hand sales in canada for a 7-11 worker, it is a $5,000.00 fine, FOR the person. and a $50,000.00 fine for the company. Plus the worker gets a criminal record. Loses thier job....not a fun situation.

I may not know the full situation in the states in regards to breaking age restrictions for video games, but it would be logical to assume there is a fine for the store. That is how the government works. So I can understand why they did what they did.

From the viewpoint given, they (the best buy cashier) saw the 'giftcards' be given from the minor to the adult. They have no prior viewpoint of ownership.
                        Considering the fact that they have probably heard the excuse 'Its MY money/giftcard/ect' many times (I hear this at least twice a day.) And the information they have. They could only assume.

I do sympathise with this fellow. And I agree the way the situation was handled could have been dealt with better. But the decision to not sell was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Vatican Assassin View Post
                          quoted for truth
                          DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 8 CHAMP
                          DICE TWLB SEASON 10 CHAMP
                          DICE TWLB SEASON 11 CHAMP
                          DICE TWLB SEASON 13 CHAMP
                          DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 15 CHAMP
                          DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 16 CHAMP

1:waven> i promised myself that the only way id ever roid
                          1:waven> is if im going to prison
                          1:waven> no one gonna try to rape me

Comment

Sad part about all this is that some people are so dumb and pathetic that they just let people walk all over them. If I ever had an experience as bad as that with any business I'd let them know how bad they fucked up and I'd remind them that I won't be shopping there again. If few people let businesses treat them like that then we'd never have to put up with this bullshit, sigh
                            1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
                            3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
                            3:Best> see it coming
                            3:Best> sad

Comment

How Urmama would have handled the situation.
                              First of all back in the day my first job at 16 was Wendys, fast food blows but it really molded me into who I am today. After dealing with all the African American customers because this one was located in the "Hood" I learned that you can get everything in life being an asshole. Middle Aged African American Females would complain about shit being too cold and they'd get everything their way, brand new sandwich dropped fresh in the griller right in front of them simply because they didn't get what they want. Anyways cut forward into the future, when shopping anywhere I keep in mind that any cashier is making minimum wage and if they give me shit or even look at me the wrong way they're going to get put in their place. I go to fast food places, they cook that shit in my face and if I don't get it the way I want they're going to do it over again. But this Best Buy story really pissed me off, it makes me want to fly down there and duff this cunt in the face for trying to be something over a customer. Fuck thats how I would of handled it, duffed the bitch in the face and gave her a good stompin with my diesel fucking boots. If you can't verbally put someone in their place then thats where you have to physically do it. Just like I will show up to your house if you give me your address. Thx

Comment

Working...
                              X