Top 5(ish) Sci-Fi movies EVER!!1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5(ish) Sci-Fi movies EVER!!1

Ok, I wish to compile a list of the greatest sci-fi movies ever. Feel free to consider whatever factors you wish. Directing, acting, enjoyment you got out of it, the cult (or popular) following the film earned, spinoffs generated, groundbreakingness (is that a word?)

I'm kinda looking for "if you had were being locked in a theater for all eternity and had to watch 5 sci-fi movies over and over until you finally decided to kill yourself which ones would they be?" ... that could be a sci-fi movie itself! omg!

Anyway, go ahead. To get a better diversity of movies please don't list like 3 different star wars movies or whatever limit yourself to 1 per trilogy (same with Aliens, etc.. and LOTR is not scifi obviously, its fantasy).

My picks so far:
    Alien
    Serenity
    Star Trek Wrath of Khan
    The Matrix
    Blade Runner

That's right, I snubbed Star Wars. I've watched them all, don't get me wrong. Two, three times each even (probably way more than that going back further than I can truthfully recall). But I don't agree with how they're treated with godlike reverence by my sci-fi nerd peer group. The thing that always drives me nuts is when people say the newer ones were oh so much worse than the originals. Re-watch a new hope. That movie, while entertaining, is a fucking CHEESE FEST. Listen the dialoge! The story line, while being relatively elegent in its simplicity, is so uncomplex that you can tell it without leaving anything significant out of it in about 45 seconds. It was a great accomplishment for a dude with no funding, it popularized the genre, it had ground breaking special effects, etc etc... That being said, the movie really kinda does manage to "suck". Ok? Get over Star Wars.

My point is star wars gets a free pass on all its faults for some dumbass reason. If one were to be on the list, and I admit probably it should be I'm just not going to use one of my "picks" for it because I assume everyone else will (if anyone posts any) Empire Strikes Back was probably the only worthy film of the bunch. Maybe Return of the Jedi. Can't decide. Which is better?

What else was a really good scifi movie?
    Spider
    Formerly EEK! A Spider!
    Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

In no particular order:
    • Starship Troopers .......... Great Action (reminds me of the Zerg vs. the Terran)
    • Time Machine (original)... A parable of a possible future
    • The Terminator.............. Love the concept
    • Blade Runner................. Interesting & heart touching
    • Enemy Mine.................. ditto

I could list at least a dozen more... there's a bunch i like.

Sci-Fi Greats

Comment

Originally posted by Spider View Post
      The story line, while being relatively elegent in its simplicity, is so uncomplex that you can tell it without leaving anything significant out of it in about 45 seconds.

ya you could do this to a shakespeare play too, empire strikes back definately gets on there. i was going to bring up serenity but you already did, i love that movie. can one of the mods remove the words starship troopers from this thread please. great book, makes star wars episode 2 look like hamlet.

Comment

ill just throw some in that should not be forgotten when someone talks about great scifi

12 monkeys
        Terminator
        Vanilla sky
        Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
        Clockwork orange
        Brazil
        Dr. Strangelove or stop worrying and love the bomb
        Starship Troopers

Comment

Blade Runner
          Star Wars Trilogy
          The Thing
          Brazil
          Alien

In no particular order.
          Originally posted by Tone
          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Vatican Assassin View Post
            ya you could do this to a shakespeare play too, empire strikes back definately gets on there. i was going to bring up serenity but you already did, i love that movie. can one of the mods remove the words starship troopers from this thread please. great book, makes star wars episode 2 look like hamlet.
            I thought of Shakespeare when I was writing what I said, honest truth. But my complaint still holds relative to other movies. My opinion. I know it's a minority (especially when it comes to scifi fans).

Starship troopers wasn't something I would have thought of, and I don't think it'd make a top 5, but it actually was pretty cool. Worthy of a mention on this thread, I think. Kinda? Did anyone see the straight-to-dvd sequel? Horrible. Really, really, bad.

Here is a couple more:

Dark City
            Gattaca

I don't think I'd call them top 5 but worth mentions as well.
            Spider
            Formerly EEK! A Spider!
            Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

Comment

starship troopers

Comment

mystery science theater

Comment

topic didn't load all the way (only saw the first post)

but fuck blade runner

I have to go drink with my buddy now (just dumped his gf, tragic) but fuck blade runner, it's an overrated mediocre film.
                  My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

2001 a Space Odyssey
                    5th Element
                    total recall
                    armageddon
                    Planet of the Apes
                    ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                    Failure teaches success.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider View Post
                      Starship troopers.. Did anyone see the straight-to-dvd sequel? Horrible. Really, really, bad.
                      Yeah the sequel sucked major ballz -_-

Comment

Lol Armageddon.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffz View Post
                          ill just throw some in that should not be forgotten when someone talks about great scifi

Clockwork orange
                          Brazil
                          Dr. Strangelove or stop worrying and love the bomb
                          These aren't really Sci-Fi...

Brazil could perhaps get away with it, but not really... I wouldn't say Clockwork Orange is Sci-Fi, I guess dystopian, but Dr. Strangelove? There's not even a slightest hint of Sci-Fi.

Myself?

Well...

Star Wars Original Trilogy... I know it's cliché, but I'm going here by how much I've enjoyed it and the fact these films are some of a few that I can watch over and over. I should really include them here.

Fifth Element... I don't know why, I just love this film. I think it's just the combination of such colour/vibrance with such a weird world setting... it just kinda gets to me.

Jurassic Park... Well I don't really know if this counts as Sci-Fi... it's a bit of a grey area I guess, but I love this film.

Re: Starship Troopers... I saw this for the first time recently. I'll admit I enjoyed it, but I can't help but say that it's enjoyability can mainly be attributed to it's mindlessness. It's a fun film, but it doesn't deserve to be classed as a "great"
                          Last edited by Ewan; 01-23-2008, 10:07 PM.
                          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                          ---A few minutes later---
                          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                          9:Kim> UM
                          9:Kim> i didn't
                          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by genocidal View Post
                            Lol Armageddon.
                            i don't wanna close my eyessss
                            I don't wanna fall asleep cuz I'll miss you baby, and I don't wanna miss a thang !
                            ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                            Failure teaches success.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                              i don't wanna close my eyessss
                              I don't wanna fall asleep cuz I'll miss you baby, and I don't wanna miss a thang !
                              Must... kill... Michael... Bay...

1. Matrix
                              2. Star Wars
                              3. Blade Runner
                              4. Aliens (first one was more of a horror movie)
                              5. Serenity

Comment

Working...
                              X