tiebreaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiebreaks

considering theres 5 teams at 8-7 or 7-8, there's a good chance we're going to come down to tiebreakers again - i understand that luck was eliminated because of cumulative +/-, but it was fortunate that spiral had the lead not only in wb/jav but also basing.

now, in the event that we have two teams in a tiebreak situation, where one team has the advantage in wb/jav +/-, but the other team is winning in base, what happens? i'm guessing that in order to put wb/jav point spreads on the same curve as base time spreads, we'll need to convert them to decimals/percentages then average out the 3:

team 1 is -5 in wb, it's -5/50 = -0.10
    +10 in jav, it's 10/50 = 0.20
    and -5 in base, it's -5/15 = -0.33
    team average = 0.1433

team 2 is -10 in wb, -10/50 = -0.20
    -10 in jav, -10/50 = -0.20
    +10 in base, 10/15 = 0.67
    team average = 0.133

so team 1 wins in this case.

but what if, as it's possible in burger nipples' case, one team has one league that they excel at, carrying their entire point spread?

suppose it comes down to a tiebreak between burger and another team:
    burger is currently +71 in wb, let's just say they rape scoop's team by 24, so +95
    95/50 = 1.9

for the sake of discussion i'm just gonna say they lose the jav and base games (both to spiral)

BN currently -53 in jav, say they lose by 10, so -63
    -63/50 = -1.26

and currently -5:58 in base, say they lose by 4:02, so -10
    -10/15 = -0.67

which makes their team average -0.010

so let's tiebreak them against a squad that will likely be in the tiebreak with BN - candy king. CK and BN are both 2-4 in base, and BN currently leading the time spread by 25 seconds (-5:58 vs -6:23). Now, assuming they both lose the base game (CK is vs Durban, BN vs Spiral), AND assuming that spiral beats BN by a higher margin than Durban vs CK PLUS 25 seconds, we have an interesting situation.

for ease of calculation, let's say CK loses by 2:37 (spread becomes -9:00), as i said above, BN loses by 4:02 (spread becomes -10:00), CK overtakes BN in the base standings.
    -9/15 = -0.60

in wb CK is playing top5squad. for them to be in tiebreak situation with BN they need to win this, which is entirely possible considering the lineup we played last week (jaa 14-8 gg), and considering that CK got 48 points off of BN. CK is currently +7, so say they win by 3, which brings point spread to +10.
    10/50 = 0.20

and in jav CK is playing buncha freqs. it'll depend on the lineup scoop can show, but i'm guessing CK is winning this. CK is currently +29 in jav, so say they win by 1, which brings it to +30
    30/50 = 0.30

team average = -0.033

i've fudged the numbers a bit in places, but it's to show a point in case it ever does happen - BN's team average is higher than CK's, which would give them the nod in playoffs. however, even though both team's recs will be 9-9, CK is beating BN in two out of 3 leagues in terms of rec and/or point spread.

as such, i would like PH to clarify how exactly the tiebreak situation will work. in this post you indicated that point spread was used, but you made no mention of win/loss in the specific divisions. if point spread is used exclusively with no regard for w/l, you end up with things like what's currently the case with top5squad and spiral in base (spiral has a higher spread but t5s has a better rec).

of course i've made some liberties with the hypotheticals in this post, but none of the situations or numbers i've used are that far-fetched and have been based on previous match results. in summary, looking at the current recs, there are multiple tiebreak situations that could arise, and several issues need to be addressed before they happen:

- how will you compare wb/jav point spreads with basing time spreads? i've proposed a system above and shown what could happen if we use it.
    - if a team is winning in overall point/time spread but losing in 2 of 3 division recs, who gets eliminated? the decision is ultimately yours, but because of the possible case of BN and CK above, and taking into account the situation with t5s and spiral's point spread / division rec discrepancy, it's my opinion that the criteria for elimination should be first on overall rec, then division rec, THEN point spread.

for those who read the whole thing - thoughts?
    Gripe> apok is good but he's completely wasted his youth playing this game

At least we are not playing head-to-head matches, cause we didnt do that before either.
    Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
    Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
    Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
    Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
    Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Originally posted by tragiK View Post
      considering theres 5 teams at 8-7 or 7-8, there's a good chance we're going to come down to tiebreakers again - i understand that luck was eliminated because of cumulative +/-, but it was fortunate that spiral had the lead not only in wb/jav but also basing.

now, in the event that we have two teams in a tiebreak situation, where one team has the advantage in wb/jav +/-, but the other team is winning in base, what happens? i'm guessing that in order to put wb/jav point spreads on the same curve as base time spreads, we'll need to convert them to decimals/percentages then average out the 3:

team 1 is -5 in wb, it's -5/50 = -0.10
      +10 in jav, it's 10/50 = 0.20
      and -5 in base, it's -5/15 = -0.33
      team average = 0.1433

team 2 is -10 in wb, -10/50 = -0.20
      -10 in jav, -10/50 = -0.20
      +10 in base, 10/15 = 0.67
      team average = 0.133

so team 1 wins in this case.

but what if, as it's possible in burger nipples' case, one team has one league that they excel at, carrying their entire point spread?

suppose it comes down to a tiebreak between burger and another team:
      burger is currently +71 in wb, let's just say they rape scoop's team by 24, so +95
      95/50 = 1.9

for the sake of discussion i'm just gonna say they lose the jav and base games (both to spiral)

BN currently -53 in jav, say they lose by 10, so -63
      -63/50 = -1.26

and currently -5:58 in base, say they lose by 4:02, so -10
      -10/15 = -0.67

which makes their team average -0.010

so let's tiebreak them against a squad that will likely be in the tiebreak with BN - candy king. CK and BN are both 2-4 in base, and BN currently leading the time spread by 25 seconds (-5:58 vs -6:23). Now, assuming they both lose the base game (CK is vs Durban, BN vs Spiral), AND assuming that spiral beats BN by a higher margin than Durban vs CK PLUS 25 seconds, we have an interesting situation.

for ease of calculation, let's say CK loses by 2:37 (spread becomes -9:00), as i said above, BN loses by 4:02 (spread becomes -10:00), CK overtakes BN in the base standings.
      -9/15 = -0.60

in wb CK is playing top5squad. for them to be in tiebreak situation with BN they need to win this, which is entirely possible considering the lineup we played last week (jaa 14-8 gg), and considering that CK got 48 points off of BN. CK is currently +7, so say they win by 3, which brings point spread to +10.
      10/50 = 0.20

and in jav CK is playing buncha freqs. it'll depend on the lineup scoop can show, but i'm guessing CK is winning this. CK is currently +29 in jav, so say they win by 1, which brings it to +30
      30/50 = 0.30

team average = -0.033

i've fudged the numbers a bit in places, but it's to show a point in case it ever does happen - BN's team average is higher than CK's, which would give them the nod in playoffs. however, even though both team's recs will be 9-9, CK is beating BN in two out of 3 leagues in terms of rec and/or point spread.

as such, i would like PH to clarify how exactly the tiebreak situation will work. in this post you indicated that point spread was used, but you made no mention of win/loss in the specific divisions. if point spread is used exclusively with no regard for w/l, you end up with things like what's currently the case with top5squad and spiral in base (spiral has a higher spread but t5s has a better rec).

of course i've made some liberties with the hypotheticals in this post, but none of the situations or numbers i've used are that far-fetched and have been based on previous match results. in summary, looking at the current recs, there are multiple tiebreak situations that could arise, and several issues need to be addressed before they happen:

- how will you compare wb/jav point spreads with basing time spreads? i've proposed a system above and shown what could happen if we use it.
      - if a team is winning in overall point/time spread but losing in 2 of 3 division recs, who gets eliminated? the decision is ultimately yours, but because of the possible case of BN and CK above, and taking into account the situation with t5s and spiral's point spread / division rec discrepancy, it's my opinion that the criteria for elimination should be first on overall rec, then division rec, THEN point spread.

for those who read the whole thing - thoughts?
      we are probably top 5 squad in tw
      TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

i luv a man who uses maths to solve problems
        1:Underground> WHO THE FUK ARE THE WITH, EASE, WITH EASE, EASE JR.

Yojo?> And I keep arguing that when everyone else sees his stuff 3/10 of a second ahead of him, factoring in the 3/8 of a second it takes your brain to tell your hand to move, it's nothing to do with skill =/

1:zidane> they dont wanna play vs. u dald
        1:B4sERmaN75_X> dald youve been blacklisted by pirates gg

1:Ease> fucking stupid newbie sitting out of base for half an hour, then you finally come in and fire shots at 1000 mphl

Comment

we're probabaly top 5 twdt team in twdt
          TWLD CHAMP - STRAY (SORT OF)

Comment

Working...
          X